x

Customer has gift card but not sure which business it came from

A customer reached out to me saying that she received a Square gift card as a gift. He was told that their was a $100 balance on it, but the card does not have any markings as to what business it is from. From what I've read on Square's help info, gift cards cannot be redeemed by invoices nor can they be redeemed from any business, but only the business it was purchased from. Because the front only says, "Happy Holiday's" and the back has the swiping bar and some numbers at the bottom, we're not sure how to proceed. I've gathered that she wouldn't be able to redeem it with me, but how do we track down what business it is actually for, for her?
Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

So the back has no information other than the numbers?  I thought that even the basic Square gift card had the business name and address on the back, ours do.

well, I would think the easiest way would be to ask the giver of the gift card where it is for.

I think if the customer wrote to square support they should be able to tell you the business it is for.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact#44E50F016449 (click I don't have a Square account, click other, click I don't see my issue, click email support, write a quick note and the gift card number)

any better advice @Kpay or @katieand?

Message 2 of 7

She thinks that it may have been something that was re-gifted and she got it from a client so wants to keep a professional relationship with them and felt bad asking. My customer was under the impression that she could use it with any business that used Square, however because I'm not familiar with any the gift cards, and based on the FAQ's I read for Square, that it could only be used from the the company the original purchaser got it from. But no, no business name is listed on the gift card itself anywhere. I do have a photo of the back of the card. Is it possible to enter the card number in somewhere to help tract down the info of the actual business?

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

you are correct that it can only be used at the retailer where it was purchased as they were the ones paid for the card.

unless someone I tagged from Square support advises differently I would try contacting support as I advised.  It isn't instant but hopefully will get the answer.

If you have the pic you could call support yourself and ask them on Monday when it opens again.

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

Hey @StephsBoutique! The best suggestion I have is the same as @VanKalkerFarms (thank you for following up here by the way!). Unfortunately, there isn't a way for you as a merchant to look up the gift card unless it was purchased directly with you so Support should be able to help your customer get it sorted out.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your help everyone! I will reach out to my customer and see what she would like me to do 🙂

Message 6 of 7

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Received plastic gift card from unknown vendor" The author has been notified via email.

So I received a square gift card, however, the back is so horribly smudged that I can't tell which vendor the card goes to.  Is there any way for me to find this out based on the gift card number alone?

Message 7 of 7