x

Is there a way to manage a count of the cash drawer?

Hello,

At the close of the drawer (end of business for the day), it asks what's in the drawer, but there's no way to count it and track it. Other POS systems ask you to enter how many twenties, tens, fives, etc. They tell you what amount is expected in the drawer, and how much in checks. 

Currently, I'm doing a paid in/out to count the drawer at the beginning and end of each day. I print the Sales report, and using the register, i count each drawer slot by the "calculator" and match up to the sales report. 

If the count is off, it's hard to figure out where we went awry through the day. 

Is there a different way to count the drawer before "end drawer?" Becuse opening the drawer to count it, after you've ended it, makes it tough. 

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello everyone, thanks for bringing this up and sharing your suggestions! I'll be sure to flag this with our Product Liaison team, who makes improvements to the app based on seller experience.

Thank you for your flexibility in the meantime, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other insight.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Hi Stellar, I was wondering the same thing. Did you ever figure out an easier way?

Message 2 of 11

there is a free app called register calculator. we use this app before we start our register and at the end of the day before we end the drawer. It lets you enter each denomination and does all the math for you and it lets you have a starting cash amount too so you don't have to do the math of taking all the money out and putting the starting cash back in. You only have to take the money made that day out. It is a free app and very helpful.

Message 3 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hello everyone, thanks for bringing this up and sharing your suggestions! I'll be sure to flag this with our Product Liaison team, who makes improvements to the app based on seller experience.

Thank you for your flexibility in the meantime, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other insight.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 11

We do a cash payout of the opening drawer amount. This opens the cash drawer for counting for the daily sales.

Message 5 of 11

Does this app intagrate with SQ POS? 

Message 6 of 11
Alumni

Hey @UrbanShaveSD - thanks for chiming in on this thread. We do track requests and I'll be sure to pass this along to our Product Team

Message 7 of 11

When I open in the morning, I go to Reports>Paid out> $.01 "Start of day" and this opens the drawer for counting.  I count each slot of my cash drawer in the "calculator" screen of the point of sale. This adds each together to give me the beginnig count. If the register was counted correctly at the end of last night, I should have the correct opening account. If you wish, you can save this as a ticket, name it "opening count (date)," or what I do is select "Clear all items." 

At the end of the day, I do the same thing, but choose "Paid in" $.01 and type in "End of day," counting each slot as before. I make note of this amount. then back in Reports, I click "end drawer" and if all is correct with the world, my amount  should be correct. If not, I exit out of this screen and re-count. You can also set aside the cash for deposit at this time. 

This way, opening and closing counts have timestamps. When the drawer is over for the day, the slip that prints has the opening and closing time. I also print the daily sales report after closing the register. 

Message 8 of 11

Thanks for sharing this workaround, I wish you could load a video to this feed showing how you do this 🙂

Message 9 of 11

I will work on that this week. I'll have to ask for help - someone to hold the camera/phone so I can show you what I do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Make it a STELLAR day!

Message 10 of 11

Thank you for bringing this up. Currently we are using paper and pen to journal. 😞 

Message 11 of 11