x

Need to combine items that the name changed, but not the actual item for sales reports

For example, the name of our tea has changed 4 times due to employee overuse of naming, but the item has not changed.  I simply need to combine the 4 names for the item into one so that I can have a consolidated idea of what the sales are rather than hunting them all down.  Thanks.

Jen

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

@jenlkinney - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! 👏

As for your question, while this isn't a functionality that we currently offer, it definitely sounds like it would be a useful feature to have. I'll be sure to pass along the suggestion to the product liaison team! For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggesting checking out this thread

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 7

Please do! This is very much needed in our business as well. It will really help to prevent misreporting the final numbers. Thx!!

Message 3 of 7

I'd like to second this request.  Because Square exports as csv, I changed some item names to avoid any commas.  Now my sales history acts like I sold two different products.  Since my sales history is off, it makes it hard to determine how much I need for reorders.  

Ideally I should be able to correct a product name (or SKU) without creating a whole new product.

The only work around I've found is to export sales and use Excel to combine the items with the duplicate SKU.  

Message 4 of 7

Yes- this will be very helpful to combine items

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@CO-coffee Thanks for sharing your interest with this!

If anything changes, we'll be sure to announce it. 

Message 6 of 7

PLEASE fix this/add it as a feature/option. Running a report which shows me Item A as multiple items simply because its name changed is absurd. It's not uncommon for us to go to market with a Working Title, if you will, while a final name is being decided. Once that final name is decided, the item updated accordingly, all reports are now a cumbersome and time consuming mess. Or, when an employee enters an item without a category, we identify that mistake, go in and categorize it, it then shows up in the reports as separate things. WHAT? Why?!

E.g. We have to export the Square report and then manually consolidate sales numbers of the same item under different names just to be able to have a semblance of useful information with which to work. Not only that, but we're then having to generally recreate the same reports that exist in Square. If this was how another company I work for developed software for our clients, which deal in hundreds of billions in revenue, we'd not continue to earn the contracts we do.

Though not exactly the same issue, this forum post is basically the same request. Both have been out there for ~4 years now, which is mind boggling.

Message 7 of 7