x

Can I accept PayPal payments with Square?

Can I accept PayPal payments with Square? 

Message 1 of 55
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer
Thank you for your posts. I'd like to give an update here - Square has no plans to support payments with PayPal. 

Many of you have mentioned reasons why you want to accept PayPal - from losing out on clients who are only comfortable with PayPal, to wanting unified reports showing transactions from Square and PayPal in one place. These are totally understandable, and I can see how frustrating it is that this isn't available for you. 

If any of you have workarounds you'd like to share, please feel free to start a new thread

Thank you again for letting us know this is important to you. The addition of PayPal is not likely, but in the event something changes, we'll make sure to update this thread. All of you who have commented or subscribed to this thread will receive an email notification if we add an update. 

View Best Answer >

Message 34 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Alumni

That's not currently on our roadmap, @thompsonaly. But thanks for writing in—I've passed your request along to our team.

Message 2 of 55

I'd also like to accept Paypal through Square. I've had many potential customers turn away because they only pay online with Paypal. I absolutely hate Paypal so I refuse to sign up for an account, but I love me some new customers.

Message 3 of 55

totally with you on that.  My money was stolen or "lost" from my PayPal account years ago, and I will NEVER go back!

Message 4 of 55

We're in the same boat. I've been having customer complain because they want to us paypal. Of course I'm not goin to turn down money so I send them an invoice via paypal but I love Square and would much rather keep everything in one place.

Message 5 of 55

I Just lost a 300.00 sale because I do not accept PayPal on my website, I need a way to accept PayPal without opening a PayPal account.  I still do not understand why square will not allow people to use PayPal. 

Message 6 of 55
Super Seller

@LowPricedVape, The only way you are going to be able to accept PayPal is to open a PayPal account, you can run the transaction thru PayPal to process and then enter the transaction in Square and mark other as the payment rather than check or gift card.

Message 7 of 55

Please let me know how to cancle SQUARE

Message 8 of 55

Thanks for the response, how would you then account for the Paypal fee associated with receiving money from Paypal in the Square invoice? Do you add a discount? Thank you again.

Message 9 of 55

Explain that again... I have a Paypal account. How can I add the Paypal option?

Message 10 of 55
Square Community Moderator

Hello @albertkinng  - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

You can accept Paypal payments on Square Online, but not at the point of sale. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 11 of 55

Me too. Many of my customers use and pay by PayPal. Why can't PayPal by added?

Message 12 of 55

Probably the same reason you don't. Why would you expect Square to assume the risk you are not willing to take with Paypal? I hate Paypal. Customers who insist on using it are likely aware how easily they can dispute and fraud vendors. Paypal will tie your funds up indefinitely and almost always sides with the customer. Good luck getting your merchandise back. So I'm with Square on this one. I'll take the hit of an occasional lost sale to not have to deal with Paypal. 

Message 13 of 55

Is that still not on your roadmap one year later?

Message 14 of 55

Would be nice if they would answer, wouldn't it?

Message 15 of 55

Can customers pay with their PayPal account yet?

Message 16 of 55
Alumni

Hey @RideshareGeek - We currently don't have an timeline on if or when Paypal payments might be a supported feature.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 17 of 55

It needs to be on the road map ASAP. We as merchants are losing $$ due to this not being a priority within square. 

Message 18 of 55

I heartily agree that this issue needs to be addressed asap. In this day and age of e-commerce, Paypal integration needs to be a fundamental feature available to any business doing online sales.

Message 19 of 55
Super Seller

I'm trying to think of the right analogy but PayPal and Square are in head to head competition in this space.  It's like saying Visa should take payments from MasterCard.  Paypal doesn't accept Square cash payments nor would I expect them to.

Square will accept PayPal credit cards because they are MasterCard credit cards, and most PayPal customers have the credit card since PayPal holds their money more like a bank.

And why PayPal, what about venmo, or Facebook messenger cash.  

Sure in an ideal world everyone would work together and there wouldn't be different standards in every industry but it isn't.

Message 20 of 55

You are comparing Apple's and oranges. Square is a merchant that processes credit card and debit card payments.

PayPal is a merchant that primarily processes payments from eBay, other PayPal members and yes credit cards and debit cards.

They are not considered direct competitors.

Message 21 of 55