x

Start Tracking Item Inventory Bulk Select

I love that I can track my inventory and sales, but is there a way to bulk select "Start Tracking Inventory" via the spreadsheets that you can export/import (rather like bulk selecting the tax rate)?

This would be immensely helpful since right now I have to go into each item in my store and select that button individually (and we have over 200 items)...

Any help if I have missed something would be greatly appriciated...and if I haven't missed something, could it be added to the list of possible updates?

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Yep! You can use the Inventory Import/Export tool to adjust all of your location inventory at the same time! When you import you new stock levels, your Dashboard will automatically turn on the "Start Tracking Inventory". Follow the steps below: 

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items. (If you’re using multiple locations, navigate to the location specific library you’d like to modify. To do so click All Locations at the top of the Items page > select a location/multiple locations.)
  2. Click Actions > then click Export Inventory from the drop-down menu.
  3. Update the values under Alert Threshold and New Quantity > save the CSV report.
  4. Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window> click Upload.
  5. Click Confirm Import > Done.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

We have been trying to figure out how to add just how many of an item we have in stock. We can not figure it out. We have the updated version but there is NO where to add how much inventory we have of a specific item. 

Message 2 of 39
Square

@RunawayQuilters Check out the information above to help get you started on entering your stock levels! 

Message 3 of 39
Square

Best Answer

Yep! You can use the Inventory Import/Export tool to adjust all of your location inventory at the same time! When you import you new stock levels, your Dashboard will automatically turn on the "Start Tracking Inventory". Follow the steps below: 

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items. (If you’re using multiple locations, navigate to the location specific library you’d like to modify. To do so click All Locations at the top of the Items page > select a location/multiple locations.)
  2. Click Actions > then click Export Inventory from the drop-down menu.
  3. Update the values under Alert Threshold and New Quantity > save the CSV report.
  4. Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window> click Upload.
  5. Click Confirm Import > Done.
Message 4 of 39

Hi there!

I uploaded exactly 4295 item variations correctly. All of them had a new quantity of stock, which also got uploaded everywhere.

The Stock Alert column in my database was enabled with "Y" and the Stock Alert Count was set to "0" on each item variation. All three were related to the same correct (one and only) location.

But only part of the items obviously turned on the "Track Stock" feature correctly, and this was done also only after refreshing the page.

The other items won't turn on "Track Stock" automatically like promised on uploading from the database. I tried it a couple of times more, refreshed the page, nothing made them Tracking the existing amount of stock.

I could hook the "Track Stock" feature directly on the app, but this seems to be stupid with this amount of item variations.

How can I trigger the remaining items to show "Track Stock"?

Thanks for your help!
I run already your app successfully for my two ice cream cafes for a year with no problems, now with a huge amount of items for my x-mas shop and the desired stock tracking this seems to be a bit harder 😞

Message 5 of 39
Square

@Freya11 - We'd be happy to dig into this more closely, but we'll need you to reach out directly so we can get a copy of your .CSV file. If you'd prefer to wait until tomorrow, you can just give us a call. Our phone lines are open Monday - Friday, 6AM to 6PM PT. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 39
Beta Member

did you find a solution for this problem. I seem to be having a similar issue. i upload items with new inventory numbers and set the inventory tracking to track and it not only does not set it to track but it did not upload the inv counts for each item. i used y in the enable tracking field. what is going on? i also tried putting the inv count numbers in both the cuurent quantity which i thought the upload ignores and i also tried in the new quantity column and it did not input the numbers.

Message 7 of 39
Admin

Hey @Thegrooveshack-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

When you're importing the updated spreadsheet for your inventory, does it say it's been successful? If so, you're correct, it should have updated the numbers accordingly and begun tracking your inventory if you enabled it for each item. 

When importing the spreadsheet, are you replacing your item library, or updating your item library?

Let me know so we can look into this further. Additionally, feel free to give us a call so we can take a look at your item library directly. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 39

Hey y'all! I'm having the same issue. 

I have mass-edited our inventory before, focusing on item names and notes, and it has worked. In this case, I am attempting to turn on low stock alerts for each item by changing each empty or "N" marked cell in the "Stock Alert Enabled" column to a "Y", and by changing each empty cell in the "Stock Alert Count" column to 0, then re-importing. But the changes have failed to transfer.

Desperate for a solution!

Also wondering if it is possible to change my inventory settings so that Low Stock Alerts are automatically turned on for new items I create. The "Add low stock alert" option within an item is generally clunky and involves more clicks than necessary, plus the feature cannot be edited from our iPad POS.

Message 9 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Heya @BreakawayRecs

I understand your frustration - updating the item library can be a feat! In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team so we can dive in a bit deeper and look into the backend settings which is something we can't do via this public forum. Reach out to our CS team on 1-855-700-6000, Mon - Fri, 6am-6pm Pacific Time or email us here

Message 10 of 39

Is there a fee for trackng iventory? I need to know beore i turn on inventory tracking for all my inventory.  This is an important part of Square. I was goin to ask the above question so I am glad I only have to asjk the finally part .

Message 11 of 39

Hey @sensationallips

Great question! So Basic Inventory Management is free.  If you're interested in Inventory Plus, it will cost $60 dollars a month. Inventory Plus is only avalible with the Square for Retail subscription. 

I hope this helps clears things up! If you have any other questions please let me know. 😀

Message 12 of 39

Great answer. Now, how can you turn OFF inventory tracking for multiple items using the bulk import option? I have a bunch of items I no longer want to track and when inventory goes below zero (negative count) online ordering is no longer available for those (negative count) items.

Message 13 of 39
Beta Member

This is important for maintenance as well. (Especially for multiple store subscribers)  With the Weebly Online integration, if one store location is enabled and is not "Tracking" (blue toggle) then the qty is assumed "0",  Weebly takes this as a never out of stock item. (i.e. an item that may have some value, but not tracking inventory)  In this situation Weebly will report a false positive inventory for On-line ordering.  In other words, shows "0" o/h, store is enabled, and "Tracking" toggle is off.   After years of inputting items and sometimes not sending to a particular store by choice, where as they are enabled as a location, but not tracking, will report a false unlimited inventory and allow orders..  The problem is that you can not view for example 5000 items and verify which is not tracking.  I exported my entire library, then sorted each store one x one in order of current on hand.  I re-established the "0" on hand in the New quantity column, this in turn triggered the "Tracking" again and now No More Online disappoints due to bad data..  Hope this helps someone and its not too wordy.  There are a couple of checks and balances as to why this happens in the moment, but I've said enough for now.  

x
Message 14 of 39
Beta Member

How do we turn OFF tracking in bulk?

Message 15 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Heya @sjbakery,

I believe that was answered here in this thread!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 39
Beta Member

Thanks!  Wish it was not as clunky. They need a button for this!

Message 17 of 39

Tim

Message 18 of 39
Square

@Tim1 Check out my answer above to get started importing your Quickbooks inventory into Square Inventory.

Message 19 of 39

We're considering migrating back to Square, but a huge sticking point us is the low stock alerts. We're using Vend now, and we can actually set up automatic restock levels based on low inventory, so coming up with a workaround is a must with 1000's of SKUs. 

Right now, the low stock alerts just come in a non-sortable text field in an email, which is basically useless. We really need to be able to download this report in a CSV file, perferably pre-set up so we can just add the new inventory stock and re-upload to square. Barring that, just getting the report as a CSV would be a start.

Any ideas? This is probably a dealbreaker for us coming back, so hopefully someone's come up with something. 

Message 20 of 39
Square

You can export you inventory to a CSV file! Check out the information above to learn how to import and export your inventory levels. 

If you need more advanced inventory tracking, we do offer integrations with third party apps like ShipStation, Intrakr and many more! Check out your Square Dashboard for a full list of the third party options that we offer. 

Message 21 of 39