x

What cable can I use to charge my card reader?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Chip reader didn't come with a charger! iPhone charger won't work like it did for my old square”.

New chip reader won't charge with my iPhone charger like my old square reader would

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

The chip reader charges via micro-USB.  The chip reader stand has a built in micro-USB charger that plugs into your Square Stand if you're using one of those. Otherwise, you'll need a run-of-the-mill micro-USB charger for the chip reader.  Pretty much anything that charges an Android phone or Kindle is going to work.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

The chip reader charges via micro-USB.  The chip reader stand has a built in micro-USB charger that plugs into your Square Stand if you're using one of those. Otherwise, you'll need a run-of-the-mill micro-USB charger for the chip reader.  Pretty much anything that charges an Android phone or Kindle is going to work.

Message 2 of 10

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Chip reader”. The original author has been notified via email.

My charger to my chip reader is not working, where do I get one?

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

Any usb micro cable will work.  Here is one from Mono Price.  Should be able to pick on up at Best Buy or a wireless store.

Here is a charger too.

Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

Chip reader charger power cord broken

Message 5 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Falafeltaco,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over what kind of cable you'll need to buy for your contactless + chip reader.

As stated above it's just a normal micro USB cord plugged into a USB wall piece.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 10

Does the card swiper come with another option to power it beside headphone jack or lightning cable. I have a note 10 and theres no headphone jack

Message 7 of 10
Super Seller

@Billyboy92, you would need to use a USB-to headphone adapter to use the old card swiper.  the headphone jack is for communication to the phone.

the other option would be to buy the contactless chip reader for all chip cards and tap to pay from phones.  https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/chip-credit-card-reader-with-nfc

Message 8 of 10

Where can we purchase a new cable?  The ones with L shape plugs

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Heya @TheeTacoDude 👋

The Square Reader charges via a micro-USB cable. These cables are quite easy to find at supermarkets and electronics stores, or online. I hope this helps! 

Message 10 of 10