x

Is it possible to search by transaction ID?

Is it possible to search by transaction ID?  With hundreds of orders daily in our ecommerce store it is nearly impossible to find a transaction in the sales history tab.

Thank you so much

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

@Rainbowmealworm @Olistree @RetailOne

We've heard requests from other sellers to make searching for transactions easier, so we recently added many more dimensions by which you can find transactions in Dashboard. Now, you can search transactions by:

• Receipt #
  • Transaction total
  • Items sold
  • Ticket name
  • Device on which the transaction was taken
  • Dining option

Take a look and please send any feedback my way. 

@Rainbowmealworm We currently do not have the ability to search by transaction ID in Dashboard, but I will reach out directly to better understand your use case. 

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square

@Rainbowmealworm - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post!

From the Activity section of the Square Register app, you can search for transactions by receipt number, card number, or swipe. I think this is what you mean by transaction ID, right? Or were you talking about the Square Dashboard? Either way, let me know! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 12

Thank you so very much Sean, in Transaction view the search area only lets you search by the last 4 digits of the card.  If we have orders coming through our website we are unable to see the card used or any digits to search for a transaction.

Is there another view in Square I'm not familiar with?

Message 3 of 12
Square

@Rainbowmealworm - Completed orders do appear in-app. Have you tried searching there before? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 12

Yes, in dashboard ... Why are functions like this so different between the app and dashboard...seems like the obvious stuff is often missed with square ?!?!

Message 5 of 12
Square

Definitely fair feedback, @RetailOne. There are some opportunities to better align app/dashboard experience. Please let us know when you run into these differences so we can get them documented with the right people! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 12

I'm not sure I understood, is there a way on the Dashboard to lookup a transaction by the receipt #, like you can on the square app? I do all my accounting through the dashboard, I use the app for making transactions. So when I need to find a particular transaction, I use the receipt number because I don't save cards for now.

Message 7 of 12

Currently there is only the ability to search for a transaction using the last 4 digits of the customer's credit card.  If you have hundreds of transactions daily it makes it extremely time consuming to find a specific transaction.  

We are hoping Square will make the feature to search for a transaction easier for the merchant in the future.

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

@Rainbowmealworm @Olistree @RetailOne

We've heard requests from other sellers to make searching for transactions easier, so we recently added many more dimensions by which you can find transactions in Dashboard. Now, you can search transactions by:

• Receipt #
  • Transaction total
  • Items sold
  • Ticket name
  • Device on which the transaction was taken
  • Dining option

Take a look and please send any feedback my way. 

@Rainbowmealworm We currently do not have the ability to search by transaction ID in Dashboard, but I will reach out directly to better understand your use case. 

Message 9 of 12

@bora

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Bestest

Message 10 of 12

After searching this one as well, and struggling to find any relevant information, it appears the "receipt number" referenced in the interface is actually the first 4 characters of the "id" (a much longer alphanumeric string) that is returned in an API transaction. Hopefully that helps someone out.

Message 11 of 12

How is it that I have a full transaction report with customer name, and transaction number, and payment ID, yet when I go to the terminal, I cannot pull up the transactions???? What is the secret to finding...knowing the info to enter into the terminal?

Message 12 of 12