x

How do I view the information entered in the Notes field?

We enter an invoice number in 'notes' on our tablet before completing sale. Where in our Square Dashboard, or in which Sales Report can we find the notes?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 33
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @NK2235, thanks for reaching out. You can view the notes you've added to a sale from your Transactions tab. Click on the payment, and you'll see the note display in the payment details.

Find more information on reporting in our Support Center. Hope this helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 33
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @BilingualSLP - Transaction notes will appear on the Transaction Details export, not directly from Dashboard. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @NK2235, thanks for reaching out. You can view the notes you've added to a sale from your Transactions tab. Click on the payment, and you'll see the note display in the payment details.

Find more information on reporting in our Support Center. Hope this helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 33

We use the note field for our company item number. This field used to show up in the Detail CSV when we searched for item sales. This field is coming up blank on all sales reports. Yesterday you guys told me you were going to fix this. Do you know how much longer it will take to fix?

Message 3 of 33

Hey @donramonjr! Welcome to the Seller Community. 😀

I know our Engineering Team is working on a fix for this, I recommend following up with Team Member assigned to your case. They will be your point of contact for relaying information on the fix. 

Message 4 of 33

I do not see any way to view the notes field as described in your "solved" answer. It is not on the transaction, it is not on the csv file, it is not on the emailed receipt. it does not show up anywhere. Please advise.

Message 5 of 33
Beta Member

The identified solution does not seem to be working for me... I download the csv  and I dont see any note details - nor do I see any in the transaction field - I know the data was there when entered on the ticket... I have reference numbers entered at time of sale and I need to reference them in an easy method without it turning into a click fest to dig down to the data on each ticket.... How do I access them?

Message 6 of 33
Admin

@Thomas810 If you're exporting this informaiton notes will be included in the Items Details CSV.

But you mentioned you add a note to a ticket? The notes added to Open Tickets won't appear here or anywhere on your Dashboard at this time. In the meantime, instead of adding the note when you create a ticket, add the note when you select an item (create a new ticket > add an item > tap on the item to enter a note).

Additionally, with Customer Profiles you can associate a Reference ID with a specific customer and that number would then appear in the Customer ID column in the Transactions CSV report. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 33

@Helen I've read this thread and your response saying "The notes added to Open Tickets won't appear here or anywhere on your Dashboard at this time. In the meantime, instead of adding the note when you create a ticket, add the note when you select an item (create a new ticket > add an item > tap on the item to enter a note)."

My team writes a note for the item when processing a sale in the POS app.  I would really like to be able to view the Notes we write into each transaction (customer name and date of service).  I have items entitled with the service (i.e. 30 minute session), and the notes we write in DO show up on customers' receipts.  However, when viewing the transactions list as a whole from Square Terminal on my computer, all I can see are the items and the company name.  Is there a way to view each note so I don't have to open up each transaction individually?  Is it something being worked on in the Beta?

Message 8 of 33
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @BilingualSLP - Transaction notes will appear on the Transaction Details export, not directly from Dashboard. 

Justin
Message 9 of 33

We often enter notes during our transactions.  How do I find these notes later?  Do I use a specific report?  

Message 10 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @3031cloverville - thanks for taking the time to post here. I've gone ahead and merged your question with a similar thread of Sellers who were also looking for an answer to this. The best answer from Tom should assist you in your answer!

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Message 11 of 33

I think this is an area where Square could improve. I have a team of volunteers who help run a small artist market. If an artist hasn't marked their work properly the team members will enter the sale through the calculator rather than finding the work in the inventory. They write a note about the item or with the initials of the artist if they weren't able to find that specific inventory. I need to be able to quickly find these notes so I can give the artists the correct commission. It should come up in the itemized reports. 

Message 12 of 33

Im wondering how I can access the notes written on my transactions

Message 13 of 33
Admin

@BAL I merged your post into this thread, check out the steps to view your notes above! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 14 of 33

Your steps do not provide the solution. I still cannot see the notes field anywhere. Thanks for your attention to this. Also, please get it added to the .csv download file. Thanks.

Message 15 of 33

Square REALLY needs to find a way to show the Notes as a column in the "Export Item Details" report or one of the other reports. It's ridiculous that it's a scavenger hunt to try to find this info. This is the only field available to have people specify customization of their item (for example, what name they want put on the item) and I can't find what my customer has communicated to me in a easy way. I have to search through each item one by one. There MUST be a way for you to fix this!

Message 16 of 33
Admin

Hello @ACES_PTG You should be able to see your notes in the Item Detail CSV report. To download this report:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Transactions > click Export > select Item Details CSV
  3. A CSV will download to your computer. You can open it with software like Excel and sort the report by the Notes column so you don't have to search.

If the information you're looking for isn't in that report let me know, I'm happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 17 of 33

When I export the item details, the notes field contains my item description, not the note that is entered by the buyer at checkout.  How do I get this field included in an export?

Message 18 of 33
Admin

That's strange @MAProctor, if you add a note to an item that has a description you should only see the note in the Detail CSV. It sounds like you might be looking at the Summary CSV file. To view a note added a checkout in a report: navigate to the Sales section of your online Square Dashboard > click Item Sales > Export > Detail CSV.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 19 of 33

I tried it again, following exactly what you said, and got exactly the same thing.   I know there is a Buyer Note on one of the purchases, because I did it myself.  (So, I can show you the receipt.)  I was testing this site out before it went live. 

In the CSV file, I get all these columns:

Date Time Time Zone Category Item Qty Price Point Name SKU Modifiers Applied Gross Sales Discounts Net Sales Tax Transaction ID Payment ID Device Name Notes Details Event Type Location Dining Option Customer ID Customer Name Customer Reference ID

Here is my order, with many of the columns hidden:

Date Item Qty Price Point Name Modifiers Applied Notes Event Type
8/7/2018 A. Short Sleeve T-Shirt 1 L Black, Yes "WESTVIEW 2019" on front
"SENIOR" on back (if chosen)
Put student name and ID in the memo section directly above the green "Place Order" button.
Payment

My receipt shows a Buyer Note showing a Name, Student ID.  Is that not what is supposed to be in the Notes field?

Message 20 of 33
Admin

@MAProctor You mention your site will be going live soon, are you using Square's Online Store? Notes added to an Online Store order are visible from a different report!

To view these notes:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and go to Online Store section.
  2. From Orders  > check the date range, and then under Export Order Details click Download CSV
  3. When you download that CSV file, the Notes column is the last one on the right. 

Sorry for the confusion! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 21 of 33