x

Bar Code Labels: Where do you get your bar codes from and how do you integrate them to Square POS?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Bar code labels

For those of you using Square POS (not Square for Retail) do you use bar codes for your merchandise?  If so, where do you get your bar codes from and how do you integrate it into your Square POS?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Super Seller Alumni

If your items come with UPC number you can just enter the number into the item SKU.  Otherwise, you can create your own barcode.  I use a DYMO labelwriter 450. The software that comes with the printer will allow you to create and print barcodes.  The only issue is you have to manually enter them.  So if you have a lot it isn't the best option.  There are UPC programs out there.

Message 2 of 28

Thank you for your response RHatch.  I think I understand... So, if I purchase UPC codes from a third party, I would assign a specific barcode # to each item in my shop correct?  Then I would take that barcode # and manually enter it into the SKU field in my Items Library correct?  Then I would take that barcode # and cut and paste into a label template and print away correct?  Then put that label onto my product and then use the Square Scanner (or any scanner) to read the barcode at check out correct? 

Message 3 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

You don’t have to purchase UPC codes you can make up your own. You may just want to look for software to produce your codes and print in bulk. If you choose to print with the dymo printer I would start with that software. 

Message 4 of 28

Thanks RHatch. Don't know why I'm having such a hard time wrapping my head around this.  I guess I still have more homework to do *sigh*

Message 5 of 28
Super Seller

As long as the barcodes are only to be used internally in your company Rhatch is correct that you do not need to buy any range of codes, but if they are to be shipped and used by people outside your business then it gets more complicated and you do have to buy a vendor code block and more.

Message 6 of 28

Thank You for that clarification VanKalkerFarms.  I guess I'm struggling with the "how to" step by step process.  I'm more of a visual learner and a hands on learner.  I wish Square had more video tutorials especially for things like this.  I appreciate your input VanKalkerFarms and RHatch 🙂

Message 7 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

I will try to show you the best I can with pictures.

This is the easy part.  In your item details you enter the UPC of the item in the SKU field.  Now if your items don't come with UPC numbers or your are selling your own items, you can create your own number.  As long as your not selling the items for resale.  The great part about Square is you can us any number.  Your sku can be "1",  or it can be "123456", You can even do alpha characters like "1A".

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.11.57 PM.png

Create you barcode lables.  There are other ways but I don't print many labels so this works for me.  Using the software that came with my Dymo Labelwriter 450 I created my label layout like shown below.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.13.20 PM.png

Double click on the barcode and you get this dialog box the settings ing this box work with Square.  In the barcode data box enter the number of the UPC.  This number must match what you enter for the SKU of your item.  If it does then when you scan the UPC it will pull up the item in Square.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.13.39 PM.png

Once you print a label you can change the information and print the next one.  Works great but if you have a lot of labels to print there is probably a better way of doing it.  I know there are UPC generator programs out there that will print on avery sheets.  

Message 8 of 28

@RHatch Thank You.  This does help.  It's going to be a challenge since I have over 500 items and to enter each one manually will take some time and add to that the "typo" factor *sigh*  I wish there was a way to import the codes from an excel sheet.  Also, trying to find an affordable bluetooth scanner to use with my iPad.  I appreciate the help though 🙂

Message 9 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

Couple of things.

You can import your item library from a spreadsheet.  Go to Items. Put in a couple items first and then click the export button to export what you have done.  This will help you see the format of the spreadsheet.  Add your items and import it.

You may want to check out Square Retail.  It has label printing functionality and some other things that may benefit you.

Also there is only one compatible bluetooth scanner Socket Mobile 7ci.  

Message 10 of 28

@RHatch  When I decided to use barcodes I looked into upgrating to Square for Retail but the only feature that would benefit me is the ability to print/use barcodes.  We are a small business (this is our third year) and I just can't justify the $60/mo fee.

Thanks for the tip on the importing.

As far as the bluetooth scanner, I know Square says the only compatible scanner is the Socket Mobile 7ci (which is really expensive for me).  However, I know someone who uses a Motorola CS3070 with his Square POS.  Says it was easy to connect and hasn't had any issues.  Do you or anyone else have any experience with this scanner??

Message 11 of 28

@RHatch Is your DYMO 450 compatible with your ipad? 

Message 12 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

No it is not.  I have a brother label printer that is compatible with an iPad but it doesn't do the job.

Message 13 of 28

@RHatch Ok. I already own a DYMO and am purchasing scanner to start using UPC codes. So do you just connect a laptop (or something other than your iPad) when creating and printing codes?

Message 14 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

Correct.  PM me with your email address and I will email you a dymo sample file.  

Message 15 of 28

@RHatch 

wearegraceandgumption@gmail.com

thanks for your help!

Message 16 of 28

Can you send that info to us as well. We are a small retail Botique style store with a lot of different products ! We need multiples of same barcodes when we get more than one item in . Can I print say 2-10 of the same barcode ? I did not see that on your picture of the print screen. 

Message 17 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

Yes you can print as many of one label as you want.

Message 18 of 28

i have an ipad, so can I use it to print barcodes? I have a dymo printer at my main computer right now. But getting

barcodes to print from my square stand ipad to the ppc or my  ipad is confusing me! I want to start online asap,

but wanted everything in.

thank you

Message 19 of 28

Hi, 

can you please tell me what exactly is a problem with Brother barcode Printer. I’, thinking here which printer best to buy for barcode labels. I will not use UPCs barcodes, but will generate by myself in spreadsheet. Do I need in this case DYMO Printer or I Can do Brother?

Thank you. 

Message 20 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Hi @IslandGypsy!

Looking at our Shop- it looks like our only compatible barcode printer is the DYMO one. 

I'm not familiar with the Brother brand you're speaking of but I don't think you'll be able to do what you're looking to do with it. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 21 of 28