x

Can we use Square for a raffle?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Not for profits must apply for a raffle registration number from the DOJ  in California and report annually.

here's an except from our letter

Raffle Registration Number RF0009206 and is authorized to conduct raffles in California, pursuant to the provisions of Penal Code section 320.5. The raffle registration year begins September 1 and expires on August 31. Your registration is valid from 09/01/2016 and will expire on 08/31/2017. A new version of the Nonprofit Raffle Report (CT-NRP-2) form was implemented on October 18, 2012. This new form allows organizations to file one single aggregate report for all raffle activities conducted within the year the organization is registered. Please note, only one report must be submitted for the 2017 registration year which runs from September 1, 2016 through August 31, 2017. The report must be filed no later than October 1, 2017. Please visit the Attorney General's website for raffles at \ 1 chariticsiraffles for more information on the new reporting requirements, the updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's), and to download the new CT-NRP-2 form.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square

Would you mind providing a few more details about the raffle? What type of organization/business are you? What will be the prize you're giving away to winners? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 14

Best Answer

Not for profits must apply for a raffle registration number from the DOJ  in California and report annually.

here's an except from our letter

Raffle Registration Number RF0009206 and is authorized to conduct raffles in California, pursuant to the provisions of Penal Code section 320.5. The raffle registration year begins September 1 and expires on August 31. Your registration is valid from 09/01/2016 and will expire on 08/31/2017. A new version of the Nonprofit Raffle Report (CT-NRP-2) form was implemented on October 18, 2012. This new form allows organizations to file one single aggregate report for all raffle activities conducted within the year the organization is registered. Please note, only one report must be submitted for the 2017 registration year which runs from September 1, 2016 through August 31, 2017. The report must be filed no later than October 1, 2017. Please visit the Attorney General's website for raffles at \ 1 chariticsiraffles for more information on the new reporting requirements, the updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's), and to download the new CT-NRP-2 form.

Message 3 of 14

I am a board member for nonprofit 5013C organization in the state of Arizona. We would like to use square for our raffle at our banquet. Since we’re not in California does your post apply to us? We would like to know if we can use square for a raffle in the state of Arizona?

Message 4 of 14

I googled AZ raffle for not for profits, and the state has a similar provision for non profits through the state attorney general. like CA.

There was even a provision for small not for profits.  Suggest doing the google and getting to the AG page to research.  But as a 501C3 you more than likely will be able to have a raffle.  

Having good raffle prizes, especially ones that are donated, make it a positive part of the fundraising.  The club had $5 tickets but for $100 packages folks got 22 tickets and $200 got 50 tickets.  You can find folks that will manage the raffle but expect to pay them 6-10 percent.  It does boost sales, at least in the club's experience.

CA allows raffles with annual reporting requirements and some restrictions.   I think I posted such info before but you can find it on the CA AG website.

Message 5 of 14

Has this changed, if there is a np registered in all 50 states selling raffle tickets to a car online using square to process cc payments, is this allowed in Square terms (I don't want to start and get shut down).

Message 6 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Haakattak 

As long as your raffle doesn't have ANY monetary value or monetary gifts you are okay to proceed.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 14

I want to help a 501(c)3 non-profit host 4 raffles to raise money using Square in Florida.  The raffles are below, are any of this not allowed.

1. 1 week paid vacation at Key West

2. Dinner at a restaurant, Movie Tickets

3. Dental Cleaning, Nail Salon Service, Lawn Service

4. 2 bottles of wine and a Hotel stay at Clearwater, parking voucher

Thank You,

charityguy

Message 8 of 14

Hello @charityguy,

Welcome to the Seller Community and great to see you posting for the first time! 😊

We allow charity raffles where the prize is not an item of significant value (no houses, cars, etc), and is not a prohibited item, such as a gun, or lottery tickets. We also do not allow raffles w/ cash prizes.

Hope this helps! I have also attached Square's Terms of Service which touches base on this topic. 

Frida
Message 9 of 14

On square, my website sells cookies. I'd like to have a random draw contest or raffle where one winner per month is chosen to win a box of cookies. I am not a non-profit. Would this be allowed, if yes how could I add one to the site?

Message 10 of 14

Hi @SEC1992 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

I can totally see how exciting a feature like this could be for customers. At this time Square does not offer a feature that will allow you to create a raffle. I'll be happy to move this over to a feature request board so that our engineers have visibility of your suggestion. We appreciate you sharing your request. While there is no time frame for when it will be implemented, i'm happy to make sure our engineers have eyes on your request. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 11 of 14

I would like this as well.

Message 12 of 14

I would like this feature as well bc I like to do raffle for the community using my business to help promote the causes. Like I painted a Johnny Depp shadow box and am raffling it off to raise money for domestic abuse survivors and was hoping to utilize the square to allow card transactions for it.

Message 13 of 14

Hey there, @RKJade

Welcome to the Community. 

Charity raffles are allowed, but there are some limitations when it comes to items of significant value (cars, homes, etc). It sounds like your raffle wouldn't be offering any prohibited items either like guns, lottery tickets, or cash prizes. This is our Terms of Service which can provide more insight on what we allow Square to be used for. 

I would recommend checking with your state regulations for tax purposes too. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Message 14 of 14