x

I forgot to add the customer to the sale... Is there a way to do this after the sale is complete for

I forgot to add the customer to the sale... Is there a way to do this after the sale is complete for tracking purposes?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@sgt_hairstylist @Tom It is possible to add a customer post sale, just not from the Square app.  We do it all the time.

You can go to the transaction in your online Dashboard and add a customer to a purchase. https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions 

Just click on that purchase and then on the 3 little dots in the upper right corner. Either Edit Customer or Add Customer will appear there.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hey @sgt_hairstylist, thanks for flagging this.

Currently, the ability to add a customer after a sale is completely closed out isn't available. In other words, you can still add a customer when you're on the receipt screen, but after you tap on "New Sale" — the option to associate that transaction with a particular customer will be closed out.

I can certainly see how having the ability to go back and retroactively add customers to completed sales would be helpful for long-term record keeping. Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team.

We'll post updates here and in our Support Center: Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App.

Please keep in touch and let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 11
Super Seller

Best Answer

@sgt_hairstylist @Tom It is possible to add a customer post sale, just not from the Square app.  We do it all the time.

You can go to the transaction in your online Dashboard and add a customer to a purchase. https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions 

Just click on that purchase and then on the 3 little dots in the upper right corner. Either Edit Customer or Add Customer will appear there.

Message 3 of 11
Admin

Right on, @VanKalkerFarms — that works! Nice catch! 🙌🏻

I'll go ahead and mark your reply as the best answer so that it's easier for other sellers to find. In addition, we'll announce any updates regarding this option and the Point of Sale app. Thank you again for pointing this out. 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 11

Can I put a name on transaction and see it on the transactions page? I run a Shaved Ice stand and have an employee take the order on my square stand.  I would love to be able to see that order on my phone with a name so we can call their name when the order is ready. We often get swamped with orders and having the name on the order would be helpful.

Message 5 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @NicksShavedIce

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that goes into details about adding customers to sales. 

Once you add a customer name to a sale, you'll be able to click on that specific transaction within your Transactions tab.

This brings up the payment details, with the customer name showing up along as well.

Message 6 of 11

I’m looking for the same info

Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Lifenutrition

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that outlines how to add customers to a sale after the payment has already been accepted. 

You can add customers during the sale so that you don't have to do this step afterwards. Check out this Help Center article for a step by step on how to do this: 

Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App

Message 8 of 11

We have used square a few times to recieve payments and I cant figure out hpow to associate a name with a payment these were all done maually on husbands phone?

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

Message 10 of 11

Here's what worked for me.  The transaction was already associated with customer "Unknown".

The correct customer record already existed so first I clicked the three dots (as others said to do) and then "Edit Customer" and then "Remove from Transaction".

Then I clicked the same 3 dots and clicked "Add Customer" to select the existing customer from my customer list.

Message 11 of 11