x

My Iphone SE won't work with Square

HI, I have an Iphone SE, and I can't seem to get swiped cards to process. My phone is up to date and I have gone through basic troubleshooting. It shows that it is connected, but when I swipe a card nothing happens. Please help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

What reader are you using?

Message 2 of 10

I am using the magstripe reader

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

Not sure,  Could be a bad reader.  Has it ever worked?  Is this a new account?

Message 4 of 10

I've tried it with 2 different readers. Both were new, sent from square pay. Could it be that they compatible with  my phone.

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

It's compatable.  Test out your headphone jack with your apple headphones.  Call someone and check to see if the mic and headphones work.  That will test your jack and rule it out.  

Message 6 of 10

I will try again, but my headphones work fine in it. I've even tried cleaning out my headphone port

Message 7 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

But does the Mic on your headphones work?  The reader sends the data via the mic.

Message 8 of 10

Yep my mic does work. I use it daily. I've tried taking my case off, thinking it wasn't snapping in as well as it needed to, but still no luck 😞

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

@sweetsbyaud sorry for all the trouble, but we should be able to get you up and running! @RHatch has great questions and suggestions for troubleshooting, thanks for trying some of those. Here are a few more to try: 

• Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone (under Settings) 
  • Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way. I know you said you tried this, and you were on the right track - super important for this to plug in all the way. 
  • Update the Square app and make sure your device software is up to date as well. 
  • Delete and reinstall the app on your device. See Apple support for instructions. 
  • Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings.
  • Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.
  • Clear debris from the card reader slot with a card reader cleaning card or a paper towel.

I know that's a lot to try, and if you think your reader is broken, you can always request a new one from the Square Dashboard or pick one up at a local retailer

Message 10 of 10