x

How do I add a deposit that has been made for a project on a credit card without recharging the card

I had a customer make a deposit for a project on her credit card, but I can't show it as a negative on the final invoice and deduct it from the final amount due.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Kingskardsandkr - Apologies for the delay in following up, and kudos on your first post in the Seller Community. 👏

While we don't specifically offer a field for "Deposits," you could create a Discount with the corresponding deposit amount. Check out this screenshot for more details:

Would this work?

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

Best Answer

@Kingskardsandkr - Apologies for the delay in following up, and kudos on your first post in the Seller Community. 👏

While we don't specifically offer a field for "Deposits," you could create a Discount with the corresponding deposit amount. Check out this screenshot for more details:

Would this work?

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 16

I need to send one invoice now for a deposit to reserve a date to rent out a photo booth. Then I need to send the final invoice due 30 days prior to the event. It gets weird because I would have to charge my client taxes on the deposit...never heard of that before. Usually a deposit is just credited to the final invoice and seen in a "Less Deposit" section AFTER the taxes this way I am collecting it all on one invoice. Can I do that now or can you have them add a feature for this? Thanks. 

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

Message 4 of 16

How do you propose I collect the tax for the $200 on the final invoice? I'm not adding an additional tax line item. That's confusing. 

Message 5 of 16
Square

If you've created a tax it will only apply to the remainder of the balance on the second invoice. There isn't a way to use an automatic tax to collect for the total amount, unfortunately. 

You would need create a variably priced item called "Tax" and that will allow the manually add the required tax amount for the total sale. Not ideal, but hopefully the work around helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 6 of 16

Hi Everyone!  I have my own Wreath business and take deposits on custom orders. I created an item "Deposits" to log in cash/payment received in person, but I need to know how to incorporate that in final sale. I logged onto square on my computer and created a discount for a variable amount hoping that i could do it that way, but cant seem to find how to apply it. I need to be able to put in the total sale in order to calculate the correct tax and then subtract the deposit/discount. if that makes any sence.

thanks!

Message 7 of 16
Square

Hi @NishaUrb, welcome to the Community. I moved your post to another thread I had on this topic. Not an easy way to do this unfortunately, but see my response above. Thanks!

Message 8 of 16

Dear square management, please add a 'deposit' feature within your app; this will help us do our business.

Message 9 of 16

Tried to apply an amount paid to me for a deposit, but if you put it as a discount, it doesn't subtract the exact amount - it either reduces the tax as well, but the bill shouldn't change and therefore the tax shouldn't. It's just the total bill should subtract by $1000. Any update to this?

Message 10 of 16
Alumni

Hi @techlab 

You can mark an invoice partially paid in the amount your customer gave. That will deduct the balance. Click the invoice to edit > More on the bottom right corner of the screen > Add Payment > Record Payment

If you collected payment using Point of sale, select that option to avoid double entry. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 16

I tried that approach but it wouldn't let me change the amount paid. It fixed on the full amount, not the deposit amount.

Message 12 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Morethanwodspgh 

If the solution offered above did not help in resolving your issue. this may be a good question for our support team.

They can take a look with you to help shine a light here, as they are able look at your issue alongside you in order to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 13 of 16

I noticed by using the discount section for a deposit it alters the total amount of sales tax paid (less the customers actually paying), which means I'm paying for actual tax amount difference on my end. Any way Square could add a deposit section after the total sales is calculated?

Message 14 of 16
Beta Member

We need this as well. We request a deposit for our food truck - $1000 for example. We DO NOT know what will be ordered until after the gig. We would like to either create an open check that uses the deposit until the deposit has been used and then creates a remaining balance invoice OR we give the customer an itemized list, apply the discount and still tax the full amount. Please help. There are several similar scenarios that we need as well. Would Credit Card on file as a payment amount allow us to add to an open check and only charge at the end of the event? That way we could use the KDS as we go. Otherwise we are writing paper tickets with a paper weight that says "Square Register" 

jeffrey g allen
Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @Allenbbq I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 16 of 16