x

Reachable Customer vs. Customer Group

I am trying to send a marketing campaign (specifically promoting giftcards) and I have over 7k customers in the customer group I am trying to send to.  However, when I choose my audience for the marketing campaign, it shows only 2 reachable customers in the customer group.  Why is this?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

Customers only become "Reachable" when they've signed up for your mailing list... They have to provide you with an email address somehow in order to be "Reachable".

Untitled-8-01.jpg

We have a campaign that gives customers a few extra Loyalty points for giving us their email. Otherwise, (best I can tell) I think they have to find their way to your signup page where they can opt-in to receiving messages from you first.

Message 2 of 14

Hello,

I'm trying to gain some clarity on the counts from the groups and overall dashboard of my customer directory. For example, I have over 3k customers in my directory as indicated by "All Customers" . Reachable customers is 910. When I export this group, it's not clear how they are "reachable" very few have email address or phone number values filled out. Same thing with the Loyaly group. My dashboad shows over 800 members enrolled since we launched the program but the group in my directory only shows 49.

How are customers reachable without an email address or phone number? Why am I not able to export the same numbers as what's being reported from the dashboard? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Message 3 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @PerksCoffee

That's a great question, and the "Reachable" determination has left multiple sellers asking the same questions. 

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on the same topic. 

Reachable Customers are the people in your directory that you can contact by email. This list combines customers you may have imported or added that have email addresses, customers who signed up for your mailing list via Email Collection Tools, and customers Square has added based on their engagement with your business.

Square will automatically add customers to your "Reachable" list when they meet the following criteria: 

• Visits your business at least once in the last 12 months
  • Pays with a credit or debit card
  • Elects to receive a digital receipt via email

It's important to remember that these profiles that are added by Square will not have their contact information made available to you for viewing. 

Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the definition, that still begs me to ask. How are customers under the Reachable group truly reachable with no email address value for their profile? Why does my export of these group only show 40 or show email address while the campaign claims it will reach over 800? Thanks again in advance.

I see a huge discrepancy with # of actual collected emails and the numbers the dashboard is claiming. Same with my Loyalty program. I see over 800 customers in my Loyalty but when I export this list, a very very small percentage actually have a mobile number on their profile.

Thanks,
Nick

Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@PerksCoffee The Reachable customers without email addresses are the ones that are added by Square. 

The Reachable customers added by Square that meet the criteria mentioned above will not have their emails revealed to sellers, but you'll still be able to email them through marketing campaigns. 

Only the customer information that the customer provided to you directly and you enter manually to your Customer Directory will reflect in your Dashboard and in your exported reports. 

Message 6 of 14

That answers my question. Thank you for that information.

Message 7 of 14

I missed the last part in the inital response that explains not all email addresses will be visible. Sorry about that.

Message 8 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Have "reachable" customers given their consent to marketing campaigns from me?

Hi all, I am considering running a campaign and looked into my customer directory which has a section "reachable" (defined as those customers "who you can contact by email"). What is the source of the email collection? How can I be sure that they 've given consent to receive marketing materials? Will they be able to choose "unsubsribe" option and be removed from this "reachable" directory? Thank you! 

Message 9 of 14
Admin

Hello @sergeih! I've moved your post to this thread where EJ explained how customers are added to the Reachable group. You can use this group to send marketing campaigns too, and your customers will have the option to unsubscribe — there's more information on how customers can unsubscribe from Marketing emails in our Support Center. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 14

Thank you, @Helen. What I am still struggling with is this third criteria: "and customers Square has added based on their engagement with your business". Can you please decipher and give specific example how exactly Square obtained their emails? From their credit card companies? Sorry to pester on this, but what I want to avoid is customers be surprised / angry receiving marketing materials from me when they know they did not give me any permission or shared email address. 

Message 11 of 14
Admin

@sergeih Of course! These emails are not from credit card companies: they are collected by a business using Square's Email Collection tools (for example a hosted sign up page), or they might be email addresses that you added to your Customer Directory manually or in bulk (either you used another customer management tool or simply a collected them with a pen and paper with their permission), or if a customer opted for a digital receipt for a credit/debit card payment in the last 12 months. 

I hope this helps but do let me know if I can help clarify anything else.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 14

"if a customer opted for a digital receipt for a credit/debit card payment in the last 12 months. " - opted for a digital receipt for transactions conducted in my shop? if so, none of these apply to my case, @Helen, and still i have hundreds in my "reachable" group without seeing their email addresses. they did not share their email addresses with me, they did not opt to receive receipts electronically, and they did not sign up through a hosted page. where did Square get their emails from and did they agree to receive marketing emails?

Message 13 of 14
Admin

Hi again, if a customer chooses to receive an emailed receipt when they use a card with Square, you won't be able to see that email in your Directory (for your customer's privacy) but you will be able to send them a marketing email. That's odd that you have so many Reachable customers, but your customers aren't receiving emailed receipts. I can't look at your account but if you call our Customer Success team they'll be able to look at your account and clarify how specific customers were added to your directory.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 14 of 14