x

Do bar code scanners work with Square for Restaurants?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Bar Code Scanners don't work with Square for Restaurants

After a few back and forths with Square support and they let me know Bar Code scanners don't work with Square for Restaurants.  Does anyone know if this is something that is planned?  My stores are quick-service and I'd love it if my cashiers could just scan chips and drinks when putting stuff in the POS.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

I'm back with an update, @JoopLoop!

Just got word that our Restaurants Team released barcode scanning compatibility in version 5.4. Make sure your Restaurants app is up to date and give it a try. 

I hope this helps! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

@cbenson Thank you for this post! I've moved it to the feature request board. We can't share timelines in the Community but using a bar code scanner with Square for Restaurants is a popular request! We'll post in this thread to alert you of any updates.

If anyone else would be interested please post here and let us know how this would help your restaurant or café -- for example, to add chips/drinks to a sale as mentioned above. It sounds like a small detail but it's useful information for the Restaurants team. 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 10

Thanks, @Helen!  Yes the scanner would be great.  I know Square for Restaurants was mainly designed for full-service operations (who likely wouldn't need a scanner), but I have found it to be a really good candidate for my quick-service / counter service operation.  Adding scanner functionality would be great for operations like mine so I'm glad it's a popular request!

Message 3 of 10

We dont have a full service sit down restaurant, it is a grab and go fast food spot. We do have made to order hot food as well as premade deli items.

The scanner would be a great feature to use in our fast food restaurant. In addition to the hot order items we could just scan our prepackaged fresh deli items as well as the chips and juice. 

Message 4 of 10

Yes, please add barcode support for Square Restaurant!

Thank you.

Message 5 of 10

We are a brewery and taproom using Square Restaurant for our POS for the beer.  We also sell merchandise and would like the ability to scan and track inventory of tshirts, hats, glassware, etc.

Message 6 of 10

Barcode functionality with Square for Restaurants would be great. We also have a quick service model and this would greatly speed up the line and offer more accuracy.

Message 7 of 10

Hello, have there been any updates to Square for Restaurants with regards to barcode scanners? 

Message 8 of 10
Alumni

Hey @JoopLoop - I cannot guarantee if I can get a shareable timeline on this, but I can certainly try! 

Be back soon as I get word from our Restaurants Team! Thanks for your patience. 

Justin
Message 9 of 10
Alumni

Best Answer

I'm back with an update, @JoopLoop!

Just got word that our Restaurants Team released barcode scanning compatibility in version 5.4. Make sure your Restaurants app is up to date and give it a try. 

I hope this helps! 

Justin
Message 10 of 10