x

How to set up Barcoding to quicken checkout.

I want to set up barcoding so that I can quicken up the checkout process. I use an IPad, but not sure how to get SKU numbers and such. Anyone done this yet?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, this is very simple.  If your items you sell come with UPC number just enter them in the SKU box.  If your items don't have UPC number you can create your own numbers.  You can use a DYMO LabelWriter 450 to print barcodes to place on products.

Here is a compatible Bluetooth Scanner and USB Scanner if you use the square stand

Message 2 of 8

We sell items we make, so we would have to create our own sku numbers. All of our products are in Square, but will adding a sku number create the barcode for us to use at checkout?

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

No, adding the SKU to Square will not create the barcode it will just allow the barcode to know what Item it is for.  To create the barcode I use the software that came with the Dymo LabelWriter.  I add the same number to the DYMO tag that I have for the SKU in Square and the DYMO software creates a barcode I can print.  Now if you have a lot of items this might not be the best option because you have to enter each one manually.  You can print multiples of each but it is time-consuming.  You may need something different for your situation.

Message 4 of 8

Seeing your msg here, I have a question. So I have square for retail, I uploaded a manifest with all my skus into square, and also into my dymo software, but when I scan the barcode, it will not pull it up, even though the upc is the same. What am I doing wrong? I have the dymo 4xl

Message 5 of 8

I have found that I have to tie it to products within Square. So I have my "items" listed in my Item Library in Square. When you are in the Item Library there is a dropdown under "Actions" called "Print Labels". I then generate the labels from that screen, which will have the barcode on it. I have found that I needed to use the Square barcoder (I used their USB version) and it worked seamlessly. I have a Dynmo and can't get it to work. 

Hopefully that helped.

Message 6 of 8

To be clear, is that the ONLY bluetooth scanner that works with iPad?

Message 7 of 8
Alumni

Hey @CCritterMI! You are correct. The Socket Mobile 7Ci is the only Bluetooth scanner that is compatible. If you're open to USB scanners, you have more options that can be found on our Hardware Compatibility article.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 8