x

How to report the cost of the item vs. the amount it was sold for

Is it possible to have a report stating how much the product costs to be made versus the amount we sold it for to see the profit gained by the purchase?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @ForgottenH, welcome to the seller community! Yes, you can do this with Square for Retail. For more information on cost of goods reporting options, have a look at this product update: Introducing Square for Retail.

Hope that gets you in the right direction. Let us know if anything else comes up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4

Track Cost of Item amounts or overhead costs vs. Sales and profits.

I discovered a way that works for me without subscribing to the Square for Retail.  When adding items to my library, I used the Description line.  I put in a description followed by ";"  Then I put in a number that represents the cost of item.  (My cost not the cost to customer.)  My library exports into an Excel document.  I can then split the data divided by the ";".  I end up with a column with just numbers which represents the cost of item or overhead cost.  Then using Excel Product equations, I can multiply the COI column times the Stock column to get my current overhead amounts.

Then I can compare this to my Start of the year amounts to figure my sales and profits. 

Not sure if this is the right place to put this comment.  Only my second post.  What do you think?  Hope this helps somebody.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hi @ luem00n55,

That's a great workaround! Thanks so much for commenting in this thread. Definitely a great place to share this suggestion; we aim to have our sellers collaborate amongst each other as much as possible. 

Let us know if you ever have any questions or feedback.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 4