x

Can I manage multiple businesses from the same Square account?

I have 2 home businesses can I use the same account or should I set up different accounts?

Message 1 of 80
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Absolutely! You actually have two options here, depending on your situation:
You can use one account with multiple locations, or create two separate Square accounts. 

1. By creating two "Locations" for your Square account, you can manage two businesses while just having to keep track of one username/password. Keep in mind that this option is best for a single business with multiple locations, as sales records, inventory, and other details can be tied together. Review this Support Center article for more details on how to set this up if you're interested.

2. By setting up a different Square account for each business, you can keep them distinctly separate with different usernames and passwords. Their sales records, and other data won't be tied together either. If you have two different EIN numbers, this is the best way to keep them separate (likely easier for you too).  With this option, you'll just need to log out, and then log back into the app with the correct username when switching - head here to learn more.

Hope that helps! 😊

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 80
79 REPLIES 79

I belong to two different organizations that both use Square Readers.  Can I use the app to work with both organizations using my square?  My square is listed in only one organization.  Make sense??

Message 43 of 80

My square pos doesn't have a place that I can find to log out and back into the other business.

Message 44 of 80

Is it possible to run two business under one square account 

Message 45 of 80
Alumni

This is definitely possible, @LonnieSr

I moved your post to this thread where other sellers have asked about this too. Make sure to check out @Sean's post on setting up a second business location from your Dashboard

I hope this helps get you going with both your businesses on your current account! Let me know if you need anything else. 

Message 46 of 80

Here is my situation. I have 2 locations that are moving from state to state each month or so. Im looking for a way to keep thier sales seperate and not together. Anyone have any type of suggestions?

Message 47 of 80
Admin

Hey @leftturnracing! I moved your post here — check out Sean's Best Answer on page 1 for your options. If you use multiple locations you'll be able to view sales reports by location, but from one Square log in. 

Hope this helps but let me know if you have additional questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 48 of 80

Hi @Helen if I use “create another location”, will credit card billing show that location or the main account? Location A (Main account/business), Location B (separate business). I want to make sure customers can decipher the difference between two different business names. I just don’t want a chargeback if I charge someone at Locations B but Location A shows up on their statement. 

Message 49 of 80
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MyNameIsntSteve

The billing will reflect the specific location that you used to take the payment. 

You can customize your receipts for each of your locations from your Square Dashboard Account & Settings tab in the Receipts section

Message 50 of 80

I've started another business that is a different type than my original Square business. I want to use my Square to take cc payments. Do I need to set up another account or is there a way to set up a second Point of Sale within the first?

Message 51 of 80
Alumni

Hi @Alison - Congrats on the second business! 

See Sean's first "best answer" on the 1st page of this thread. Yes, you can have two separate Point of Sale accounts!

Message 52 of 80

@katieand and @Helen

Sorry but I'm confused.  It seems that there are multiple answers to the same question.  I've seen several times on here both of you saying you CAN have two businesses under one account and referring people to Sean's best answer post.  Then @katieand you told me that I should start a separate log in when I asked about having two businesses.

With that I'm going to try a different approach to try to understand.....

Is the location function built for multiple locations under one business, for multiple businesses, or both?

What if each business has different EIN #s?

What if each business has different bank accounts associated with it?

Can you use one device for all of the "locations" or not?

What limitations are there when using the location function to set up different businesses vs creating completely separate square accounts?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will clarify everything.

Message 53 of 80
Admin

@tperez225 I'm very sorry that we haven't answered your questions! I'll address each one below:

Is the location function built for multiple locations under one business, for multiple businesses, or both?

Both! The location feature was designed for business that have, well, multiple locations, e.g. a coffee shop with two storefronts. You might find this feature useful if you plan on having employees moving between locations, if you'll be selling the same items at each location, or if you'd like to view your reporting for different locations side by side.

But if you do want to create a location for two totally separate businesses and just have one log in you can do this.

What if each business has different EIN #s?

You can add a different EIN for each location. 

What if each business has different bank accounts associated with it?

You can add a different bank account to each location.

Can you use one device for all of the "locations" or not?

You can use the same device for many locations, but keep in mind as soon as you sign in to the app you must choose select the location you're taking payments at.To switch between locations you need to sign out of the app and sign back in to select another location.

What limitations are there when using the location function to set up different businesses vs creating completely separate square accounts?

It's more of a personal preference! If your businesses are totally different it might make more sense to create two separate accounts using a different email address for each one. 

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 54 of 80
Beta Member

@Helen 

I noticed it is ok with having two completely different business using one email (log in) for square. How will this work out for taxes? Will the two completely different businesses be on two different tax forms?

Message 55 of 80

Hello there @JordanandAlexis and Welcome to the Seller Community

If you have two separate business entities that you own it wouldn't be a problem to handle both under the same Square Account. We will generate a 1099-K for each Location (Business) so it should not be a problem with Reporting Taxes.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 56 of 80

I have a jewelry business where I sell at festivals & events and would like to set up an online store separate from my mobile business. However, I don't want my inventory to be mixed together. Is this possible?

I want my online store to have one inventory where I can see individual producs at point of sale and when selling at events, I want to have very generalized items at point of sale. For example, I have thousands of pieces of jewelry that I sell at events. When ringing in a customer, I don't want to have to scroll through thousands of choices to find the specific piece. I want to just ring it in as 1 necklace, 1 bracelet, ect. But in my online store, I will have a much smaller amount available for sale so I want to have it set up to show individual items with pics and descriptions. However, when setting up my online store, I'm seeing all those items in my point of sale with the generalized items (necklace, bracelet, etc). Would it be best to set up 2 different accounts for this scenario? I tried setting up 2 different locations, but I am still seeing all items in my POS.

Message 57 of 80

Hi @bedazzleme

If you created two separate locations, you should be able to check/uncheck which location each item appears in. 

From your Dashboard Item Library, click on the item, then click on the locations section to pull up the list of locations to choose from. You can then uncheck the specific items from appearing in your physical location item library. 

Let me know if this helps 👍🏼

Message 58 of 80

I use my square for my direct sales company. I am in two other direct sales companies. Do I need an account for each one or can I change my account to just say "independent sales" with my name?

Message 59 of 80
Admin

Hey @Mommanotnats, welcome to the Seller Community!

Great question—I think another seller brought up a similar request in this thread: Can I manage multiple businesses from the same Square account?

Have a look at Sean's reply and let us know if any questions remain. Hope this helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 60 of 80

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Multiple business

How do you create multiple businesses under the same account?

Message 61 of 80
Admin

@Mk_papa_rachel Hello! The steps you're looking to manage multiple business under the same account were shared in this Best Answer. Take a look! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 62 of 80

My boyfriend and I recently opened a brick and mortar business and are using square. We each have separate llc’s and separate products we are selling under the same roof. We are doing business under the same pos system (as customers tend to purchase an item from each of us and it is too busy to try and log in and out of separate square accounts). As such, I have kept meticulous notes on earnings from each llc. My problem here is that there is a place for only one EIN number in the tax information that square submits to the IRS.  This will show earnings all under one llc, instead of two. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I plan to contact my CPA, but wanted some advice in advance. 

Message 63 of 80