x
Beta Member

How do I apply discount to an item?

I followed the instructions posted here; however, I do not see the discount toggle within the item that I wish to apply discount to?  How do I enable such feature?  Is there a way to setup custom discount amount be it percentage or dollar amount?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @dreamzboy! Before you can apply a discount to a sale you need to create one. The steps you're looking for are in this Support Center article: Create and Manage Discounts.

You can create a dollar amount discount, or a percentage based discount. If you want to have a variable discount, leave the amount/percentage field blank when you create the discount. When you apply the discount to a sale you'll be prompted to enter the dollar/percentage! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @dreamzboy! Before you can apply a discount to a sale you need to create one. The steps you're looking for are in this Support Center article: Create and Manage Discounts.

You can create a dollar amount discount, or a percentage based discount. If you want to have a variable discount, leave the amount/percentage field blank when you create the discount. When you apply the discount to a sale you'll be prompted to enter the dollar/percentage! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

I've already created a discount under the discount tab.  It's just not showing up on the item.  I can apply discount to the entire sale but not a specific item.  I ultimately wanted to apply that discount to the gift card only.  Any idea?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12

when in square is there a way to discount 1 item on check out by a percentage 

Message 4 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Mike865 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Good to hear from you!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding creating percentage discounts. Take a look at this Best Answer from Helen! She will provide all the resources you need.

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 12

Hi, I've created two different discounts (one today and one months ago), and neither one comes up when I enter the name of the discounts in the discount field.  This is the main frustration with Square and the reason I am looking to use other payment systems.  Please help.  Thank you.  

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hi again, did you create a variable discount? A variable discount actually won't appear in the list when you tap the item, sorry I should have clarified that! You should be able to select that discount from your Item library at checkout to apply the discount to the sale (the entire sale I'm afraid). Can you try setting a specific amount or percentage for the discount? You should then see it from the list. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

I'm able to create the discount base on fix dollar amount.  It's just an extra step to remember to apply it to an item.  It would be nice to just automatically apply the discount to an item when it's configured/selected without having to rely on human memory to apply such discount when that particular item is selected.  Maybe this would be a good future option.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Agreed! I've shared this request with the Point of Sale team. 👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 12

Square has never addressed this!!! Horrible!! I can't take a % off a single sale item!! Your killing me!!! I can of course discount the whole sale - which I rarely do. I have to manually calculate the one item I need to discount for a flash sale or whenever. Please please please fix this ONG. 5 YEARS USING SQUARE INSANITY

Message 10 of 12

How do I apply discounts to a total order?

Message 11 of 12
Admin

Hey @AnnabelleHelms!  🌟

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Have you already created the discount? If so, here are the general instructions to manually apply a discount to a sale:

Apply a discount to an entire sale:

1. From Checkout, tap the list icon to view all items.
  2. Tap the discount you’d like to apply to add it to the current sale. Note: A manually-added automatic discount will apply to all items in the cart, not just items selected in that discount’s rules.

Apply a discount to an individual item:

1. Tap Current Sale.
  2. Tap the item you’d like to discount.
  3. Tap the discount you’d like to apply to add it to the current sale.
  4. Tap Save.

If you haven't created the discounts yet, please take a look at the best answer in this thread. Let me know if you have any questions about this! 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 12 of 12