HTTPS Encryption / SSL Option for all Packages - SEO Best Practice

Now that Chrome has been updated to basically shame websites that are not secured, it would be good to have the option to purchase and enable HTTPS/SSL for any paid site since this is a best practice for SEO. I saw in another community post that there are no plans at this time to make this option available for anything below the Business package but I hope that is reconsidered if there is enough user support. Weebly is a great platform and keeps getting better, but it would be unfortunate to have to accept that using Weebly means that you will not be able to adhere to certain SEO best practices.

For reference, here is the post from the Google Webmaster Central Blog back in 2014: HTTPS as a ranking signal

• best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
  • best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
Comments

SSL should be an inherrant function on all plans, not juse Business and above. 

The Pro account allows PW protected pages so it is essential to have SSL as standard on these.

PLease Weebly, sort this ASAP. 

Thank you

BN

Kb2

I was seriously planning to move all my websites to Weebly until I discovered that SSL wasn't included like all other websites like Wix, Squarespace and others. Considering that google is going to lower visibility on the sites without SSL; why would anyone want to be on the weebly platform since it basically guarantees them less traffic and SEO no matter how nice their site looks. In the end, if we don't get traffic, we don't get money to pay and upgrade to new features. In other words, it is table stakes so what is taking so long? I'll stall a few more months before my final decision but seriously -- get on it!  

Kb2

In the end, weebly needs to make money but they will only be successful if all their website users are successful. As a result, if every real business that relies on google traffic does get affected (which they will)  Weebly will like see lots of defections as people realize why. For me; I was just about to upgrade my sites and I'm going to hold back and reconsider moving to square space or wix or jimdo or the many others that offer it for free. 

Its unfortunate since I like weebly but you only need to have one person get hacked and they you were the cause and your entire business can be gone.

weebly if you are listening SSL are table stakes at least for paid plans if you want people to stay. I'm already searching for another solution.

Hey, has this been fixed? 

Google is going to kill sites that don't have the SSL. However, not everybody has a store.

I do not want or need the business plan.  It is about time Weebly steps into the real world and provides SSL to all members, at least those who have starter package and above.  Why have a business plan for a store when I don't have a store.

I also need to add SSL to my Weebly site.  I have a Pro plan.  We are a non-profit homeowners association - not an ecommerce site.  However, we want to enable payment of homeowners dues through our Weebly website.  Please give the SSL functionality to the Pro plan.  Thank you!

Lake Mitchell

@Adam

Google is starting to index non-SSL encrypted sites lower on the google search ranking. 

Weebly should be making all websites SSL encrypted or at least for a lesser fee then 35€a month! 

"To help users browse the web safely, Chrome indicates connection security with an icon in the address bar. Historically, Chrome has not explicitly labelled HTTP connections as non-secure. Beginning in January 2017 (Chrome 56), we’ll mark HTTP pages that collect passwords or credit cards as non-secure, as part of a long-term plan to mark all HTTP sites as non-sec......... More on:

https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/moving-towards-more-secure-web.html

@MikyMike

Just FYI - if you search this Forum you will find multiple threads on this subject...

Current answer is that Moderator Adam has gone on record stating that Weebly are "planning" to impliment SSL for non-business accounts but that he had no detail or timeline as of yet.

Firefox is also implimenting the same....

Also an issue for me, my clients will NOT pay via my website, when will this be sorted out please?

Announcements
Here are some important announcements.
Top Kudoed Authors