HTTPS Encryption / SSL Option for all Packages - SEO Best Practice

Now that Chrome has been updated to basically shame websites that are not secured, it would be good to have the option to purchase and enable HTTPS/SSL for any paid site since this is a best practice for SEO. I saw in another community post that there are no plans at this time to make this option available for anything below the Business package but I hope that is reconsidered if there is enough user support. Weebly is a great platform and keeps getting better, but it would be unfortunate to have to accept that using Weebly means that you will not be able to adhere to certain SEO best practices.

For reference, here is the post from the Google Webmaster Central Blog back in 2014: HTTPS as a ranking signal

• best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
Comments

Same here, need it without the e-commerce, please advise.

Yes, it is an issue. Although my site is not a business, some visitors don't know what the implications of the "not secure" notification are and they prefer to exit the site. Weebly should move quickly on this. Other platforms like Wix have already made the move. 

It seems that SSL availability has become an overriding concern for many of us. Why is Weebly not treating it as such? I'm another one of those people who simply can't afford the upgrade to a business plan, and have no need to upgrade from Pro other than for obtaining the SSL. Someone in the corner office needs to address this before she/he runs headlong into a social media buzzsaw of dissatisfied customers.

Surely the imminent onslaught of lost business is incentive enough to immediately deal with this issue. Thinking that with enough procrastination by Weebly, customers will eventually give in and pay the extra for the business plan is a recipe for a big, fat red bottom line. People are already voting with their feet. 

I've found the moderators on here to be tremendously helpful and kind. It's not fair for them to be shot as the messengers of a shameful lack of action on the part of senior management. So, c'mon, Weebly, these good people are surely getting sick and tired of telling us that something will be done about SSL "soon."

Yep Weebly, get with it!

agreed... I have an SSL cert for my domain but I don't see how I can use it without upgrading plans

agreed... this makes me have to reconsider if hosting my site here is the best place or not.  I need ssl on my site but do not need the business tier

@Adam would Weebly at least answer my question? Would be largely appreciated Smiley Happy

I paid for the Business Plan Upgrade for one of my websites and enabled the SSL certificate in SEO and the URL has not changed to a secure site. GRRRR...nothing changed.

Yes their idea of actively working on it is to charge for upgrades giving you a choice of paying by the month or the year, which is awesome but they charge you ten more dollars a month if you pay by the month, which is really ludicrous when it doesn't cost them any more for billing invoices and services because they are automated online. So basically you pay for a whole year and you save money. If you are poor like me and can only afford to pay a month at a time you have to pay $ 10 extra dollars a month which adds up to $120 more dollars a year. Yes, this makes so much sense to me...charge people who cannot afford to upgrade ten extra bucks a month...GREEDY...rich keep getting richer and poor keep getting poorer because the rich people can charge us extra for being poor.

I upgraded one of my 8 websites to get with the hopes that with the new SSL certificate in place it will start making money from the ads and hopefully enough to upgrade my other websites.

Announcements
Here are some important announcements.
Top Kudoed Authors