x

How do I charge for dues or memberships with Point of Sale?

We are a fraternal Organization and I've set up to purchase tickets and donations online. Is there a way I can setup a catagory for dues payments?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @snelson24018, welcome to the seller community!

At this time, there isn't a category section available with the Online Store specifically for collecting dues, though you might consider adding an item.

I'll be sharing your post with our Product Liaison team, and if anyone else has experience with this — feel free to chime in on what has been working the best! In addition, you might want to check in with our eCommerce partners as they may have additional options for your organization. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 8

Hello - I have the same need. I created a membership dues category and added the name of the members as items. I selected 0% for taxes. Yet, when I do a report the membership dues appear as taxable items for which taxes have not been paid. 

So my question is: How can I record membership dues as non-taxable items so they appear as such on reports?

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Hi @TMG

It sounds like you may have created a tax setting at 0% and applied this to your dues. You can resolve this from the Point of Sale app.

Tap the three horizontal lines in the corner (you may see a blue number if you have notifications).

• Tap Items.
  • Select an item to edit (in this example, a name of one of the members).
  • Under Taxes, toggle Off.

This will allow you to collect the dues tax free - let us know if you need any more help. 

Message 4 of 8

Thank you very much for responding. . How does one do this from the dashboard? I access the dashboard from home, the iPad/Square is at another location.  

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Sure thing! To adjust taxes from your Square Dashboard, head over to your Item Library > (select the item) > (select taxes under Details) > (uncheck any taxes that shouldn't be applied) > Save.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 8

Yes, we too are a non-profit club with annual dues. I have created an item but would be great if there was somting better than that.

Message 7 of 8
Partner

Hi all I realize this post is a bit old but in case anyone is looking for a way to manage this please let me know.

My name is Dan I've worked in point of sale and payments for 7+ years and developed a software to help retail businesses leverage subscriptions.  It's called Submatic (https://www.submatic.io/).

We have an integration with Square that automates member discounts/benefits based on the rules that you configure.  For example you can create a membership for a product or which entitles the member to a discount.  Our software handles the recurring billing (via Square payments) and communicates the membership benefits with Square so that you don't have to track anything manually.

If you're interested in getting more info or checking out a trial let me know.  You can send me a direct message here on the forum, just hover your mouse over my username and then click "Send Message". Thanks!

Message 8 of 8