x

Cannot import an exported, unedited .csv or .xlsx

In the Item Library, I export the data (.xlsx and .csv). Without editing either file, I try to import it again. Regardless of the file format or the upload option (Modify or Replace), the import fails with the following message:

"The tax header (Tax - (9%)) in column L contains unexpected characters or a tax name that is not defined. Please correct the header and try again."

And the same message for another tax column header (Tax - (0%)).

I do have those two tax rates set up, so those tax names are defined. And it was the Export that generated the column headers, so I don't know why there would be any unexpected characters. Why can't it import its own exports? Looks like a bug to me. The only workaround I could find was to delete the two tax columns and import the resulting spreadsheet. That worked.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Same thing happened to me. Quick question... Do you have multiple locations?-

I realized that I had 2 store locations setup... (Even though I only have 1 store location). We created a different library for an event a long time ago and called it a "mobile" location... Soooo, there is a selection that you can make when setting up new items for which location the items are for... I suspect my problem was that some of the items in my exported CSV file were originally created for that separate location, and most of the items were created for our actual location (so, most of our inventory was "location-specific"). The mixup happens when the item for 1 location is trying to find data for a tax column that existed at another location... ... ... Or something like that.

The library CSV file used to contain more variables for things like this, but I think it made things a little more complicated for the user.

I fixed it by removing our "other" location... Otherwise, you can edit all of your items to be available at both locations, (which should work too)

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 2 of 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gzart

Item import/export can be a bit tricky. Did the response from @LocavoreStore help or was this still happening? 

This usually happens when you import your Items CSV file with commas or unknown characters in the text of one or more of the fields of your CSV file.

Try and remove any commas or non-numerical characters. 

It may be that some formatting or leftover cell contents were not cleared before attempting to upload, so even if a cell looks blank, it might have a space or some value within that cell that causes an issue. 

Let me know if that helps!

Message 3 of 3