x

How do I refund a customer?

how do one refund customer back his money

Message 1 of 78
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Its simple! You can refund a customer from your Square Register app or from your Square Dashboard. 

To refund a payment from your Square Dashboard:

• Click on the payment you’d like to refund, then click Issue Refund at the top right corner.
  • Enter the amount you’d like to refund and the reason you’re refunding the payment, then click Issue Refund.

To refund a payment from the Square app:

• Tap the three horizontal lines > Activity. 
  • Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment. 
  • Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > Issue Refund.
  • If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund.
  • Select a reason for the refund > Refund.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 78
77 REPLIES 77
Square

Best Answer

Its simple! You can refund a customer from your Square Register app or from your Square Dashboard. 

To refund a payment from your Square Dashboard:

• Click on the payment you’d like to refund, then click Issue Refund at the top right corner.
  • Enter the amount you’d like to refund and the reason you’re refunding the payment, then click Issue Refund.

To refund a payment from the Square app:

• Tap the three horizontal lines > Activity. 
  • Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment. 
  • Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > Issue Refund.
  • If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund.
  • Select a reason for the refund > Refund.
Message 2 of 78

Thanks Kelly. I'll give it a try.

George

Message 3 of 78

After refunding the customer, are the fees returned to my account, that were charged for the transaction?

Message 4 of 78

Hello @Volunteer, in the event of a refund we will return the card processing fee from our end.

Since we take the fee before you receive your deposit, you should only see the deposited amount withdrawn from your bank account or Square balance. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Message 5 of 78

How many days will it take for the funds to be posted back onto the customer's credit/debit card?

Message 6 of 78
Alumni

Hey @Aquarius38 - Check out our Refund Overview for more information on the Refund Timeline. 👍🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 78

Thank you!

Message 8 of 78

The actual refund time is contingent on the customer's financial institution.  Oftentimes when a debit card is used, it will be posted back to their account within 72 hours, however with a credit card I have seen it take up to 21 days.  

Message 9 of 78

The refund processes at the same time your charges for the day do.  As for how long it takes to hit the customer's account is actually up to their financial institution.  When you are doing a refund, let them know that the refund will process overnight, however you do not know when it will be posted to their card as that is up to the financial institution (bank, CC co. etc).  Their posting can take anywhere from three to 15 days.  

Message 10 of 78

Hello. I have a party that claims that be ause, they have a Square Business account, that Square takes a huge portion of the refund that I am expecting back. I spent around $7500 with them and they told me that Square is keeping $400 of my refund and that it is non-refundable. Is this true? Everything that I have read tells me that it is not true. Simply because you have a “Square Business”. Doesn’t sound right to me.

Message 11 of 78

I don't think that is accurate.

The seller may want to charge a restocking fee, but is blaming Square rather than admitting to what they're doing. 

Message 12 of 78
Super Seller

@Tlove2946

There is $0 in fees for refunding a payment made thru Square. The customer will get all their money back and the seller gets all their fees credited back also, It is like the transaction never happened.  It sounds like this person is trying to pull a fast one and blaming Square.

Message 13 of 78

Thank you very much. Does it matter if the Square account is a “ Business” account? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Message 14 of 78
Super Seller

I have a square account for the last 6 years and have processed over 2 million dollars thru square and I know that I have never had a refund fee and we do 100s of refunds a year. 

@Kpay or @Russell can you confirm that there would not be a fee the Square user would have for refunding?  I think they are trying to hide a restocking fee or something and blaming square. 

Message 15 of 78
Alumni

Thanks for looping me in, @VanKalkerFarms@Tlove2946 - there isn't a fee for issuing a refund, it sounds like the seller in this case is mistaken, or they have another type of fee they're folding in. 

Message 16 of 78

Thank you Kosygin. It is very much in their nature to do something like this. I was warned  to be careful and I should have listened.

Message 17 of 78
Alumni

Sorry to hear that @Tlove2946 😕  

Message 18 of 78

Although they did not say there was a fee for issuing a refund. What this person is claiming, is that he paid a fee to accept the payment and that the fee that he paid for accepting the payment via Square, he doesn’t get back and that is why he has to give me back my money minus the fee he paid. I’m sure it’s a lie. If Square did that to its users, they would be deterring many people from using their payment gateway.

Message 19 of 78
Alumni

When a Square Seller issues a refund, we also refund the fee that the seller paid to us. 

Message 20 of 78

I’m not so sure I understand how to use the service correctly yet.  Perhaps I’m doing something wrong.  I have started a business where I must take a deposit that holds a portion of their payment until they return the rental.  I tried a simple test and paid myself from a credit card $10.  Two hours later I refunded $5 and waited to see what was refunded to the credit cart I used and I received $4.67 back from the refund.  That will not work for my business.  Deposits that I will need to refund are $500 amounts, I cannot afford to have less refunded to the customer.  Again perhaps I ran the process incorrectly because you mentioned here $0 charge for refunds.  I don’t understand how to do this.

Message 21 of 78