HTTPS Encryption / SSL Option for all Packages - SEO Best Practice

Now that Chrome has been updated to basically shame websites that are not secured, it would be good to have the option to purchase and enable HTTPS/SSL for any paid site since this is a best practice for SEO. I saw in another community post that there are no plans at this time to make this option available for anything below the Business package but I hope that is reconsidered if there is enough user support. Weebly is a great platform and keeps getting better, but it would be unfortunate to have to accept that using Weebly means that you will not be able to adhere to certain SEO best practices.

For reference, here is the post from the Google Webmaster Central Blog back in 2014: HTTPS as a ranking signal

• best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
  • best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
Comments

Anyone can get a free SSL certificate from letsencrypt.org. I would like Weebly to allow us to use such certificates to enable SSL/HTTPS on our Weebly websites without charging us for pro/business features that many/most of us do not need.

Any updates on this?

Any update on this matter as I might not stay if I can not get a sll as I need it for my seo .    It is a big big deal,  and if you can not get the biz plan you will take a hit. 

I have been with weebly for quite a few years now and up till recently I have been happy with the way things have been going.  Unfotunately that has all changed.  

I run seven websites on Weebly and am not prepared to upgrade to a Business plan just for SSL.  This has become a real issue for me and unless Weebly get their act together, I like so many others will have no alternative but to migrate my sites to another provider.  

It will be a right royal pain in the A@*e, but I can not afford to loose clients just because Weebly are too pig headed to do the right thing by those who have made Weebly what it is today..

This subject is now marked as "working on it" (see blue 'sticker' in original post. It's one of the 18 features weebly is working on as it seams. That would be supernice, but.... does anyone knows for how long this subject is already been marked as "working on it"?

And at Weebly ( @Adam@Queso and other mods..): When can we expect this?

Hi Guys,

I could not wait longer. As written in another post:

weebly + cloudflare (free) = free & working SSL

Some customers are saying that when they have upgraded to the Business Plan, their SSL can't be enabled. Others are saying that when the SSL is enabled, their contact forms are still not secure. Is anyone still having these problems? I just upgraded to Business in order to get the SSL, but haven't published my site yet. I'm beginning to think I threw good money after bad. Smiley Sad

Hey, all!

Thanks for your continued support for this idea! While I don't have a concrete update, I do know that this is being actively worked on currently. Thanks for your patience, and I'll let you know as soon as I hear something from our developers.

Erin

Has anything been announced about this or is Weebly doing it's usual feet dragging. Never knowingly ahead of the curve. It's been quite a while since the thread was started and the last comment posted in April. 

Just to update my earlier post, I had no problems getting the SSL enabled when I published my site after upgrading to Business. 

Announcements
Here are some important announcements.
Top Kudoed Authors