x

Transaction Limit

Hi - I need to charge 55k but the transaction was declined. After researching, it looks like there's a 50k limit per transaction? Is it possible to charge 50k and then 5k on two separate transactions? Do I need to seperate the days I am charging? The charge will be manually keyed in if that changes anything. Thanks.

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You will have to do them in two transactions.  I would not enter that one manually.  I would send them an invoice outlining what you have sold and attach any contract etc. Anything with there signature on it would be wise.  This way they are entering their card information.  Makes the sale more legit and doesn't cost you as much in processing fees.  

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You will have to do them in two transactions.  I would not enter that one manually.  I would send them an invoice outlining what you have sold and attach any contract etc. Anything with there signature on it would be wise.  This way they are entering their card information.  Makes the sale more legit and doesn't cost you as much in processing fees.  

Message 2 of 22

That's what I'll do. Thanks!

Message 3 of 22

I work for an attorney who is new to Square.  When we need to use it, the transactions are large and the client is not always present.  We tried to run a $5,000 credit card for legal fees on a client who was traveling.  He gave us his information, but the card kept declining.  It was then run through a satellite office and the card was accepted.  Is there a transaction limit on cards not present?  This particular transaction was small compared to ones we may need in the future.

Message 4 of 22
Alumni

Hey @keenum_law - Welcome to the Community!

The $50,000 limit applies to all transaction types. It sounds like maybe the bank might have been blocking the payment due to the client traveling. If they made a recent charge on their card from their physical location, it probably looked suspicious to the bank's fraud system for the charge to come from your office's location. I have run into a similar situation personally when I was traveling across the country. I notified my bank of my traveling plans so they wouldn't block my transactions. However, my sister back at home needed me to call her an Uber/Lyft ride from school and the bank called me to ask if it was a verified transaction seeing as I just told them I was in a different state.

To avoid this in the future, I would have your clients call their bank ahead of time so that they know to clear the payment. If this is happening even without your client traveling then definitely reach out to our Support team so that they can take a closer look at your account to see what's going on.

Hope that helps clarify things for you!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 22

Thank you for the help.  Unfortunately, this client isn't traveling now and we tried to run another transaction at his request and it was denied AGAIN.  But, our satellite office was able to run the transaction just fine.  (I'm trying to find out who their merchant service is...it's, obviously, not Square.)  I'm not sure what is going on.  I've never really had a problem with Square before so this is baffling to me.  😞

Message 6 of 22
Alumni

Aw man. 😕 Definitely give our Support team a call or email then and they can see what's happening for you. Because the Community is a public forum, we won't discuss account specifics here for everyone's privacy, but hoping it gets resolved quickly!

Puka - She/They
Message 7 of 22

I appreciate that.  Thank you!  🙂  Merry Christmas!!

Message 8 of 22
Alumni

Same to you! 🤗

Puka - She/They
Message 9 of 22

What is the most i can get paid on squre per transaction

Message 10 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Juanmontes0505 - thanks for reaching out here!

I've merged your post with a Thread asking this same question. You can find all of your answers here.

Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 22

What is the maximum amount one could charge your credit card for all your standard square account

Message 12 of 22
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “What is the max amount one can charge on a standard Square?”

I moved your post here. The per transaction limit for Square payment is $50,000. This Support Center article has more information about accepting large transactions

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 22

Is there a limit on my first transaction? In asking because the card was declined and the funds were there is it because my card swiped won't work with a card with a chip do I need a chip reader

Message 14 of 22
Super Seller

there is a per transaction limit of $50,000 on a credit card.

you can swipe chip cards, though you'll probably want to get a chip reader in the future if you plan on taking payments regularly.

There are lots of reasons a card can be declined but to find out why the customer will have to call the card issuing bank.

you can do a $1 transaction on your own card just to test it and see how it works.

Message 15 of 22

we will need a 3000 dollar transaction limit   is this allowed?

Message 16 of 22
Super Seller

Message 17 of 22

Can we increase the per transaction maximum of $50,000?

Message 18 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Leslie10,

I moved your post to a relevant thread that exists in the Community already on transaction limits.

You cannot process more than $50K. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 22

Problem with my transaction 

Message 20 of 22

Keep in mind that clients or the card issuer sometimes elect to set daily or per transaction card limits. With my card I can even turn on or off certain transaction types (online, overseas, department store, gas station, ATM’s, etc. 

Message 21 of 22