x
Beta Member

Why are my salaried employees not included in my sales vs labor report? Only hourly staff included.

When I run the labor vs sales report, only my hourly staff labor costs appear on the graph.  My salaried staff labor cost information is not included. How can i view labor to include all persons paid?

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @jasonbrumb, I've reached out to our Product Manager for Reporting for this issue. 

Currently you can have your salaried staff included in the Sales vs. Labor Report, but you need to have your salaried employees clock in and out on the Point of Sale.

In order to calculate cost per labor hour, we need to know how many paid folks were working which specific hours – and that information is recorded via the employee clocking in and out (since we’re not specifying “my salaried employee works M-F, 9-5” anywhere in the employee settings).

If you have any questions please let me know! 

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Admin

Hey @jasonbrumb, thanks for pointing this out.

Let me do a bit more digging into this and I'll circle back with more information. Appreciate your patience in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 32
Admin

Apologies for the delay, @jasonbrumb. Salaried employees are not available in the Labor vs. Sales report at this time. 

We weren't able to come up with any immediate workarounds for this metric — so that I can provide more details to our Product Liaison team, can you share some more information on how reflecting salaried employees vs. sales would be helpful for your business? In addition, do you have any process to find this metric currently? Thanks for your help with this!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 32
Beta Member

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your research. Labor vs Sales is a standard business metric in any sector. Employee labor, salaried or hourly is still employee labor cost. The benefit of hourly & salaried labor reporting would be to gain a true accurate metric of your true labor vs your sales. I have employees that are salaried and hourly and currently I'm only seeing my hourly labor reported on labor vs sales, which gives me a lower percentage of cost vs sales. Would be great to know the true data as I cannot use this as is. I have to take my hourly labor vs sales, then add the salaried totals, then calculate the true cost of labor. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 32
Admin

Copy that, @jasonbrumb. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I will be sure to surface your experience with the appropriate team members. Appreciate your patience in the meantime—we'll reply here with any updates or solutions as soon as they're available!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 5 of 32

Has this issue been addressed? 

Message 6 of 32
Beta Member

Unfortunately, still unresolved

Message 7 of 32
Admin

Hi @Franklin and @jasonbrumb, thanks for checking back in. I don't have any updates since we last touched base but I will run this by our Payroll Team to see if there is any other solution available. Thanks for your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 8 of 32
Beta Member

Any movement on this issue?

Message 9 of 32

Best Answer

Hello @jasonbrumb, I've reached out to our Product Manager for Reporting for this issue. 

Currently you can have your salaried staff included in the Sales vs. Labor Report, but you need to have your salaried employees clock in and out on the Point of Sale.

In order to calculate cost per labor hour, we need to know how many paid folks were working which specific hours – and that information is recorded via the employee clocking in and out (since we’re not specifying “my salaried employee works M-F, 9-5” anywhere in the employee settings).

If you have any questions please let me know! 

Message 10 of 32
Beta Member

Ah, thank you much, good to know.

Message 11 of 32

I certainly hope that this can be sorted out, as this is an incredibly important metric.  As it is now, the sales vs. labor report, and the labor cost report in timecards are useless in day-to-day operations.

Message 12 of 32
Admin

Thanks for checking in here, @jheintz21. I went to look for additional updates, though there there isn't anything that I can access and share out right now. We are actively working to improve our reporting metrics—I'll be sure to surface your concerns with our Payroll Team.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 13 of 32

Absolute must to be corrected.  We have independent contractors ONLY.  Indeed cit should farnkly shwo on graph each payroll and contractiors separately so you can compare and monitor closely.

Message 14 of 32
Super Seller

I wanted to check in on updates here. I don't think this issue has been fully addressed but it would be very helpful. We recently added the Team permissions, so my salaried employees have to clock in to take orders but it doesn't reflect their actual hours or weekly salary.

If salaried employees could be included on a weekly basis, and their salary distributed daily, that would help us calculate the true labor cost. That way it would give an accurate account of hourly employees per day plus salaried employee cost broken down. My managers work 3-6 days a week depending on our needs but aren't always clocked in and their salary stays the same each week.

Right now, if my salaried employees clock in it includes their hourly rate for only those clocked in hours - which doesn't match up with their actual weekly salary. Could you break down a salary for someone who makes $533 weekly to $76.14 a day?

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 15 of 32
Admin

Hey @mksavage-

Thanks for resurfacing this thread.

I understand your frustration, and I certainly see how this isn't ideal when trying to use payroll to calculate labor sales for salaried employees.

I went ahead and reached out to our Payroll Team to get an update on the status of this feature, and to see if they had any workaround suggestions in the meantime. I'll reply when I hear something. Thanks for your patience on this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 16 of 32
Admin

Hey @mksavage-

Thanks for your patience. 

Upon reaching out to the Square Payroll Team, they did advise that the report you're viewing is and will continue to be based off the hours of employees clocking/out and using time cards (whether they are hourly or salary employees). While we don't have plans to include salaried employees in the report, we do hope to be more accommodating to salary employees in the future for time tracking.

Feel free to reply with any other suggestions on how this process or the reporting can be improved. Thanks for your patience. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 17 of 32
Super Seller

Hi @isabelle Isabelle, thank you for the reply. What does it mean that you'd like to be more accommodating to salaried employees in the future for time tracking?

Unfortunately the labor vs. sales reporting will continue to be useless for our purposes, and others, until salaried employees can be included in this report. It seems this would be a regular challenge for employers and would be a very nice change if it ever seems a priority.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 18 of 32
Admin

Hey @mksavage-

More accommodating as in have more reporting on/for salaried employees using Square Payroll. 

Apologies about the labor vs. sales report limitations. We're working hard to make this report more customizable for our sellers. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 19 of 32

This problem has been brought up multiple times. When you want to view sales vs. labor report it doesn't show employees that receive salary. I read couple threads that were addressing this issue but I don't think any update came out. For some employers this metric is useless at the moment.

Is it possible to include option to show salaried employees in report and calculate daily cost of their labor based on yearly salary that you specify when setting up a team member? It could be a report option, either show it with salaried or without salaried employees. This will make the statistic much more useful.

Thank you!

Message 20 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Wikz8 👋 Thanks for adding your voice here on the Seller Community, and specifically for throwing your weight behind this Feature Request. We agree - this definitely sounds like it would be a helpful feature for a lot of our Sellers.

From digging on my side, it looks like Chad offered a specific workaround for some folks that seems to work. Was this one of the threads you stumbled upon?

Either way, I am happy to pass along your post to our Product Teams for visibility.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 21 of 32