x

Invoice set up: How to remove tax

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Invoices Set up

I have a catering business and people pay a depsoit before they pay their full invoice.  When I put in the Deposit on the invoice as a discount, it deducts the tax by that much and I don't want it to. How can I set it up to not do that?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @OnTheSide! You can remove any taxes as needed.

To remove a tax from an Invoice on your online Square Dashbaord:

1. Add an item to your Invoice or enter a custom item name.
  2. Click Customize (in blue to the right of the item name).
  3. Scroll down and uncheck the box next to the Sales Tax applied > click Done

When after you click done, the tax won't be applied! 

From the Invoices section of Point of Sale app, you'll see the option to disable the tax as soon as you tap Add Item or Discount

If you have any other questions about this please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Hi @Helen. It would be a great enhancement to be able to remove sales tax on an invoice or estimate at the invoice level. We have invoices/estimates that can have 40+ items and having to do it individually by item can be pretty cumbersome. 

Message 3 of 9

IS there a way to remove sales tax after an invoice has been marked as paid? I put sales tax on a few invoices but never actually charged them for it, because they are exempt.

Message 4 of 9

Hello,

I do some business with non-profits and trying to figure out how to use the invoice to allow me to not charge tax to their orders. 

Is there a way to remove the tax from an invoice? I've tried creating another location but I don't think that is the way to do it.

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

Hey @AokSpecialties - I'm with ya, creating a new location wouldn't be the best route to go here. This thread might help , as it explains how to remove tax when creating an invoice. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble with this! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

Is there an option to remove tax from an invoice?  I know your can do it at the point of sale, item by items... but what about designating a customer or invoice as exempt?

Message 7 of 9
Alumni

Merging your post with a thread that will help you out. @havenssweetshop

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

Disabling sales tax on an invoice is such a common feature it's shocking Square hasn't gotten around to offering yet. Every time I do a wholesale order, I have to go into each item and turn off sales tax. Why? What possible reason could there be to not let someone uncheck a box at the bottom of the invoice for sales tax. 

I love Square but you all make some really weird choices sometimes. I feel like everyone in Square's product development team should have to work in retail using Square for a year and we'd finally see lots of these small improvement finally get implemented lol

Message 9 of 9