x

Why have invoices started going to spam mail?

Why all of a sudden are invoices going to spam? All of my customers are complaining that there invoice has never been in there spam folder and now its going there. 

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks @Sammy2! Our engineering team is still looking into this. For now, they've recommended that your customers should whitelist the email address invoicing@messaging.squareup.com in their spam filters. Your customers could also contact their internet service provider and asking if emails from Square (or the email above) are being marked as spam.

As soon as I have anything to report I'll post in this thread. If you learn anything from talking to your customers please let me know here!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

This is why I came on the boards today, to see if this is happening to anyone else. The same has happened to me in the past two-three days. 

Message 2 of 27
Admin

Thanks for flagging this @Sammy2 @Tritter82. Can you confirm that all of your customers' invoices are being directed to their spam folders, or is it certain customers with specific email clients? E.g. Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail. That information will help our engineering team investigate this further.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 27

I have been having the same problem since satruday night,  I did check to see what emails got sent to spam and it was yahoo and att

gmail went through just like always. 

Message 4 of 27

I also have been fighting this issue for a few years now. I have called in to support a few times about the issue too and they always point the finger at the clients email domain. The fact is I cant log into everyone of my clients email address and add 

invoicing@messaging.squareup.com

to their safe senders lists. In my opinion there are 2 options square can do for us. 

Option 1 - Replace that current outgoing email address with something that doesnt get flagged as spam. Maybe dont add the extra period between "messaging.squareup" Im not an expert on domains but that is one thing that stands out a little odd to me if i look at their email address. 

Option 2 - Give us access to choose what email address the invoice comes from. Which shouldnt be that hard. We should be able to have it send from our own work email so they actually know its from us right away. 

I gave them these ideas over the phone about a year ago but I dont think they really care to help us figure out a solution. They apear to focus more on companies that only accept in store transactions even though us online users pay more in fees. I hope someone reads this and understands our frustrations about this issue. My company is growing as well so if it doesnt get fixed soon they will be loosing us soon. I cant waste time calling customers asking them if they received their invoice and having them search though the junk folder. 

Message 5 of 27

I do know the past two-three days all my invoices are going into the recipients spam folders and I saw someone else was having the same issue. Not sure if it has to do with this or not, but it's very frustrating and makes people  (the recipients) question if square is legit. I had two customers say they were uncomfortable paying through email since it was sent to spam

Message 6 of 27
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks @Sammy2! Our engineering team is still looking into this. For now, they've recommended that your customers should whitelist the email address invoicing@messaging.squareup.com in their spam filters. Your customers could also contact their internet service provider and asking if emails from Square (or the email above) are being marked as spam.

As soon as I have anything to report I'll post in this thread. If you learn anything from talking to your customers please let me know here!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 27

That is really not an option, it can't be up for the customers to shore up the product shortcomings. There has to be a better response to make this product viable. 

Message 8 of 27

This is exactly what has happened to me as well. 

Message 9 of 27
Admin

@mayberrys If your customers have checked their spam and trash folders but still aren't receiving your invoices can you ask them to follow the steps above? 

In the meantime you can resend an Invoice from your Square Dashboard or the app:

1. Navigate to Invoices. Select the Invoice you need to resend.
  2. Click Edit > you could add a note in the Message field and then click Send. Or, if you don't need to make any changes, click Send to send the email again.

You can also share a link to the Invoice with your customer from your online Dashboard (e.g. share it via SMS message):

1. Navigate to the Invoices tab. Click on the Invoice you'd like to share.
  2. Click Share > copy and paste the link to share the invoice.
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 10 of 27

Are there any updates on this yet? I am still having issues especially with Yahoo and aol addresses 

Message 11 of 27
Alumni

Hey @Tritter82 - Our engineers still recommend the same steps mentioned in Helen's post as it looks like it might be a server issue with the client's email provider that we're not able to fix on our end.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 27

@puka 

I did that, but I can't understand why it is happening with people that never had this problem before. Today I found a few gmail, and Verizon emails were also not received..also not in spam folders

I hope engineering is still looking into it and not just "assuming " it's the providers. It seems odd so many would suddenly be effected. 

Message 13 of 27

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Some customers aren't receiving my invoices, what can I do?" The author has been notified via email.

I send 100+ invoices via email per month. I started to recieve complaints from my customers that they never recieved an invoice at all. They are not going to SPAM or anywhere else they are just not getting any kind of notification. I am not new to using square and understand the system and how it should work. SO do most of my customers they have been around for years and this is not a way for them to skip on a bill. I process thousands of $ a month and this has to be fixed. Is there anyone out there that can help??? 

Message 14 of 27

Why should we have to go to this much trouble

Message 15 of 27
Alumni

Sorry this has been so frustrating @mayberrys! Right now, the work around that @puka suggested is the best option we have. We'll be sure to add any updates as we hear them. 

Message 16 of 27

This is not something we as users should have to fix. Your company has obviously been flagged by the email providers and YOU need to be the one that   contacts them. This is not something MY customers should have to fix!

Message 17 of 27

My customers keep getting their invoices in spam. This has been going on for over two weeks. These aren’t new customers. This hasn’t happened in the past. It’s very frustrating

Message 18 of 27

Mine do too! I never have this problem with PayPal. When I invoice with Square, I have to send it twice and remind them to look in spam. It is just one more step that I don't have time for.

Message 19 of 27
Admin

@bertprostor

Sorry to hear this isn't working well for you. Do you happen to see this on one email provider rather than others? We'd love to research this a bit more and if there is a particular domain having issues with it- we'd love to know.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 20 of 27
Beta Member

For about the past week - 10 days, customers are reporting to us that they were only able to find our estimates and invoices after going to their spam folder. 

Is not happening on just one domain. Seeing it from customers with gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, swbell.net, comcast.net, etc.

Checked OUR domain via mxtoolbox and we are not in any blacklists. 

Message 21 of 27