x
Beta Member

Will deleting items in inventory affect sales reports?

Couple of questions that are related to each other:

1 - It seems like our items database is taking longer and longer to load. Is this because we keep adding items?  We have roughly 5,000 inventory items; is it just a given that the database will take longer to load the more items are in it? 

2 - If that's the case, I'd like to delete a bunch of items we no longer have in our inventory. If I do that, will the item still appear in sales reports? In other words, if I run a report to find out the top-selling items of the last six months, for example, will items that no longer exist in our database still be a part of that?  

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @roughdraftny, I'm sure other sellers are wondering the same thing. 

1. The amount of items is directly connected to the load speed. Typically things get pretty slow around 10,000 items. 
  2. You can run an item report and it will include the deleted items. 

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

Hi Chad, thanks for your response.  Our system has now become painfully slow, and sometimes freezes completely. Is there anything we can do, short of deleting items?  We currently use the free Square POS software. Will upgrading to Square for Retail help? Or is that unrelated to speed?  

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Hey @roughdraftny, Tom stepping in for Chad today. Sorry to hear that this is still happening. If you haven't already, I would suggest getting in touch with our Customer Success team. They will be able to take a deeper dive into your account and make sure everything is working as intended. Hope this helps sort this out.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 5

Even though this has already been answered by a member of the Square team, I'll just confirm from a user's perspective that yes, deleted inventory items still show up as appropriate in reports.

Message 5 of 5