HTTPS Encryption / SSL Option for all Packages - SEO Best Practice

Now that Chrome has been updated to basically shame websites that are not secured, it would be good to have the option to purchase and enable HTTPS/SSL for any paid site since this is a best practice for SEO. I saw in another community post that there are no plans at this time to make this option available for anything below the Business package but I hope that is reconsidered if there is enough user support. Weebly is a great platform and keeps getting better, but it would be unfortunate to have to accept that using Weebly means that you will not be able to adhere to certain SEO best practices.

For reference, here is the post from the Google Webmaster Central Blog back in 2014: HTTPS as a ranking signal

• best practices
  • SEO
  • SSL
Comments

It is clear that many many people do not need business plan features, and they and I are not going to make an upgrade only for SSL certification. I love Weebly and it is a must the Board consider a solution for the others plans (pro and starter), as having a SSL certification now is not optional, is an obligation Google is giving. Before taking out any weebly plan people from now on will search for the SSL feature. We need to have an option to activate the SSL certification before future plans renovations. 

Thank you for the attention. 

I like to have Weebly than Wix and Wordpress because It's easy but there's no SSL for my Website.

BF

I agree totally concerning the HTTPS issues and would like to add that Presently if you have the Extension "HTTPS Everywhere" enabled in your browser, there is a good chance you can't open your site in EDIT mode.  That defeats all customers efforts to keep their equipment and files safe.  Come on guys - let's get something done with this issue.

Weebly is replying on Twitter that free HTTPS will be rolling out to all packages. An earlier tweet stated that everyone should have this available by the end of October. That is great news! It would be nice if they would be as responsive to their own community (did I miss any updates from them?). Please don't forget about your loyal community members who invest their time offering ideas and providing feedback to improve Weebly!

SSL is currently Business/Performance only, although we're rolling it out to all sites for free

— Weebly (@weebly) September 26, 2017

We anticipate having SSL for everyone by October. Thanks for your patience!

— Weebly (@weebly) August 23, 2017

SSL's have been a SEO ranking factor since 2014 and they are only becomming more important.  Case in point: Google Chrome now notifies users that submitting information through an unsecure content form can be risky.  It's a disincentive to use the contact forms on Weebly Starter/Pro sites.  Security packages like McAfee also block users from submitting information through unsecure sites.

We've started to post blog articles on our Pro site and we're beginnig to get some traction with our efforts.  I'd like to install a "SUBSCRIBE" pop-up form on the blog to capture new leads.  However, I see little value in in upgrading to the Business Plan: It's twice as expensive as your Pro plan and I have no need for ecommerce features.  We're a high-end service provider and we work by appointment only.

There was a mention by one of the Weebly admins on a chat thread that indicated this was in the works.  If I recall correctly, it dated from 2016!  Why hasn't there been any movement on this? What's taking so long?

Overall, I'm pleased with Weebly site builder.  However, the fact that you don't have an affordable mid-tier option (one w/o the ecommerce features) is now weighing on my mind.  I'm willing to pay slightly more for an SSL, but not well above market value. I know that Squarespace and Wix both offer mid-tier solutions with an SSL & w/o ecommerce.  Why doesn't Weebly?

Thanks,

Erik

Come on weebly !!!...

PLEASE make SSL certificates available to the Pro plan.

Google are now treating non SSL sites with disdain and this is starting to affect my business/ web reputation, due to my weebly pro site not having SSL.

I recently bought an SSL certificate from 123reg only to find that you do not provide any way in which to apply the certificate to my site.  VERY FRUSTRATING !!

Most (if not all) weebly competitors offer free SSL certification with their products.  So come on guys!!

This is easy for you to do and it is important for your customers. 

If you are not willing to offer this feature with the Pro plan by the end of this year, I (and possibly many other customers) will very sadly be having to switch my site to another provider.

Also, please DO NOT advise that I upgrade to the Business plan as this is far too big an expense just to obtain SSL.

BF

Not only is the need for HTTPS highly obvious, for it to not be provided for even the Free sites would be a clear sign that  Weebly really does not care about its customers.  The amount of illegal activity now apparent on the internet simply compells all companies to do whatever possible to protect their customers.

Also, I read on the Google Post they want everyone to use the extension (HTTPS Everywhere).  Good idea except using it caused my site to no longer load in Edit Mode.  That might be a problem for a lot of folks who are compaining about that very problem.

Please get this working soon. I am now receiving emails and Facebook posts from people who are refusing to go to my (weebly-hosted) non-profit website because it is being flagged as "insecure" and misleading because the site claims to be www.xyz.com (example only) but is really weebly.com.

This is causing me grief right now!

Please expedite the resolution you said would be in place "by October"

Thank you,

Steve

Where is the progress with this? Any updates?

I, too, would like an update since it is now October.

Announcements
Here are some important announcements.
Top Kudoed Authors