x
Super Seller

Loyalty Program - Customization

For the loyalty program is there a way to customize it a bit more? Right now I have punch cards and I give my customers a punch for every $25 they spend so if they spend $50 in one visit they get 2 punches. With Square's program they would only get 1 star. 

And can someone explain more about how everything tracks thru the add customer feature? I saw the page on Square about it but I don't think it's working

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Alumni

Hi @alexandriak, the way the loyalty program is set up, you can’t accumulate multiple stars at once. The system operates on a per purchase basis: one purchase, one star. But I'm happy to pass along your request for a way to customize it.

Your Customer D
irectory enables you to add details about your customer from the Square app or your Dashboard. You can view details about customers through this tool and, with Customer Engagement Pro, you can access transaction histories, average transaction amounts, and customer history details. These articles explain how to manage your Customer Directory from the app (http://squ.re/1SX0EbB) and the Dashboard (http://squ.re/21shEME). If you still can't access the feature, I can have someone from our Support team look into the issue.

Message 2 of 17

We would love that feature as well! Say one star per every $10 spent, and then a free item once they reach 10 stars! We used to have punchcards and it was based on how many sandwiches the customers ordered. I love the idea of going paperless, but our old customers are complaining that their stars are not "adding up"

Message 3 of 17

I second that! My loyalty program is set up for $15 minimum to get stars and I get SO many complaints about transactions of $30 or $45 not getting 2-3 stars. If I went to a coffee shop and bought two coffees, I'd get two punches on a reward card, not one.

Message 4 of 17

We would like to have the ability to customize this as well! We are a barber shop and before square we had punchcards and they got a punch for each haircut. We love the square loyalty program however if a mom has 2 boys getting haircuts she only gets 1 star ☹️
Message 5 of 17

"One purchase, one star" is not how physical loyalty cards work in the real world. Really bummed that the Square Loyalty program is not more customizable. I guess I'll just have to order a bunch of cards and a rubber stamp.

This doesn't seem like a difficult feature to implement. Not sure why this isn't already a feature.

You could just have a single check box that said "Multiple Stars" and the hint copy would be "Stars earned equal to purchase requirement divided into total."

square-loyalty-settings.png

Message 6 of 17
Super Seller

Hi @George 

Curious, what does Customer Engagement PRO do? And how is it different from the basic loyalty program?

Message 7 of 17

I am in the mix with the rest that would like to be able to customize by opurchase size and reward multiple stars during a transaction. We would also like to be able to access a customers loyalty account by using their email or number on the register so we could: 1. See how many stars they have 2. Add or subtract stars if needed 3. email or txt them their current star standing

We have a lot of complaints with the loyalty program - customers feel they don't have all the stars they deserve - if you get thrown into offline mode - stars don't display or accrue afterwards - which causes complaints. I have been surprised how much the customers dig the concept - but we need more flexibility and access to really make it work.

Right now we are considering moving back to card punching - because of the issues. 

P.S. I don't want to spend your money - but here's a suggestion - why not scope out the other loyalty programs out there and find a partner or buy a little guy who has programmed some cool stuff. Loyatly programs are missing a large base of retail clients - you have the base - plugging in a flexible loyalty program could benefit both companies.

Message 8 of 17
Square Community Moderator

We hear your requests and we definitely agree this should be better!

Our Product Team is currently working on updates to the Loyalty Rewards feature. While we don't have an exact ETA, the updates will include some of the features you mentioned (opt in/reward status, redemption improvements, spend based rewards etc.).

Message 9 of 17

I would like to be able to assign certain items instead of a dollar amount for the loyaty. For example if you buy 10 cups of coffee you get 1 free. or 10 lattes you get 1 latte free. Right now you can assign what you GET by choosing "any item in a specific category" but cannot assign a category to the program. Unless I do not see where to do that I guess will have to continue with the punch cards.

Message 10 of 17

This is an old thread and we are happy with the improvements but I want to know if I am missing a way to do the following:

We have a house brand, say "Acme", but we also sell a lot of other brands. Is there a way to allow for a star per dollar in a category?

Just to be clear: They spend $100 and $50 was on "Acme" brand items. Can they earn just the 50 stars? I see how to allow them to redeem them for just "Acme", just not earn them.

Message 11 of 17
Admin

Hey @bueno, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up.

You can allow customers to ear rewards per amount spent, though the ability to restrict the spend option to a specific category is not available at this time.

I can definitely see how this would be useful for a variety of businesses and I'll be sure to share your post with our Customer Engagement Team. Please keep watch for updates as we do make iterations based on seller feedback.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 17

Hello, I agree with previous poster. We would love to be able to restrict certain categories from the "stars per dollars spent program".  The majority of our services are $35 and below but we have a couple that are several hundred dollars which causes quite the discount in the loyalty program.

Message 13 of 17
Admin

Thanks for checking in and letting us know why this is important for your business, @jwaller86. There haven't been any updates that would remedy the scenario that you laid out, but we will circle back as soon as any other developments come through. Appreciate your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 17
Super Seller

Hi @alexandriak 

Curious question about your loyalty program. Is $25 the only threshold that you'd want to reward a customer and only 1 star? If a system had the flexibility to offer multiple tiered rewards for example 25 stars = X 50 stars = XX and so on and so forth. 

Another way to look at it, what if you could design a reward program in tiers? For example: Silver, Gold, Platinum. A Platinum customer is someone who spends 2,500/year or more across your stores (if you're a multi-location) and in your online store.

Message 15 of 17
Super Seller

Hi there

Honestly I prefer to keep it simple. I don't want to have to constantly explain things to customers or staff in order for them to remember the program. At this time I do not use the square loyalty program as I switched to a program that does texting and loyalty in one.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 16 of 17
Super Seller

@alexandriak 

keeping it simple is a great approach too. 🙂 if you're interested in using Square while adding some personalization to your point system pls reach out. We're testing an integration for a loyalty program using Square. Your feedback would be super helpful. 🙂

We're a Square partner / integrator too, besides being a customer. 🙂

Message 17 of 17