x
Square Community Moderator

Selling Safely: Identity Verification and Information Request Forms

As most of you know, in order to accept card payments with Square, Sellers need to provide some information to verify their identity. This Identity Verification only takes a few minutes and is most likely the only verification Sellers will have to go through.

However, there are instances when our Account Services Team will reach out for additional information. Below is a breakdown of the two and the key differences between them.

Identity Verification

• Completed during account creation and requests the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each potential Seller. This information allows our Compliance team to perform necessary OFAC and Sanctions screening at the time of onboarding.

• Once complete, Sellers are informed immediately whether or not their application to accept card payments with Square has been approved.

For your own privacy and security, we do not have access or visibility to the information that is entered to verify a sellers identity. This Support Center article touches on the most common issues when signing up: Signup Troubleshooting

Information Request Forms

• An additional review process that not every Seller will encounter. Our Account Services Team will reach out to learn more about a business or payment to ensure a safe environment for both Buyers and Sellers. This does not mean that either party has done anything wrong.

• In addition to a notification banner in the Square Dashboard, Sellers will see an email from our Account Services Team (sent to the email associated to the Square Account). This email includes all of the information needed to move forward with the review. 

• The Information Request includes free-form text, and the more information provided, the better.

• The review process will not start until the Information Request Form has been completed, so it’s best to do this immediately.

Once the requested information and documentation is submitted, the review process should finish within 1-2 business days. 

It’s important to remember that our Support Team does not have visibility into Account Services cases, so while they'd be more than happy to help with any general account trouble or questions, they won't be able to help with anything related to the review. 

We know this is frustrating, inconvenient, and it’s a process we’re working to improve. However, this is a necessary process in order to make sure Sellers and Buyers are all safe and protected.

This isn’t our favorite thing to put Sellers through,  so if you happen to be one of the very few sellers that receive an Information Request, work with us and we’ll get you taken care of swiftly.

Check out the first installment of our Selling Safely Series here: 

Selling Safely: Interview with Connor, Square Account Services Department

Message 1 of 37
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Selling Safely: Identity Verification and Information Request Forms

As most of you know, in order to accept card payments with Square, Sellers need to provide some information to verify their identity. This Identity Verification only takes a few minutes and is most likely the only verification Sellers will have to go through.

However, there are instances when our Account Services Team will reach out for additional information. Below is a breakdown of the two and the key differences between them.

Identity Verification

• Completed during account creation and requests the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each potential Seller. This information allows our Compliance team to perform necessary OFAC and Sanctions screening at the time of onboarding.

• Once complete, Sellers are informed immediately whether or not their application to accept card payments with Square has been approved.

For your own privacy and security, we do not have access or visibility to the information that is entered to verify a sellers identity. This Support Center article touches on the most common issues when signing up: Signup Troubleshooting

Information Request Forms

• An additional review process that not every Seller will encounter. Our Account Services Team will reach out to learn more about a business or payment to ensure a safe environment for both Buyers and Sellers. This does not mean that either party has done anything wrong.

• In addition to a notification banner in the Square Dashboard, Sellers will see an email from our Account Services Team (sent to the email associated to the Square Account). This email includes all of the information needed to move forward with the review. 

• The Information Request includes free-form text, and the more information provided, the better.

• The review process will not start until the Information Request Form has been completed, so it’s best to do this immediately.

Once the requested information and documentation is submitted, the review process should finish within 1-2 business days. 

It’s important to remember that our Support Team does not have visibility into Account Services cases, so while they'd be more than happy to help with any general account trouble or questions, they won't be able to help with anything related to the review. 

We know this is frustrating, inconvenient, and it’s a process we’re working to improve. However, this is a necessary process in order to make sure Sellers and Buyers are all safe and protected.

This isn’t our favorite thing to put Sellers through,  so if you happen to be one of the very few sellers that receive an Information Request, work with us and we’ll get you taken care of swiftly.

Check out the first installment of our Selling Safely Series here: 

Selling Safely: Interview with Connor, Square Account Services Department

36 REPLIES 36

I posted the following and now my post has been deleted?  Why not work to make a happy customer than to simply delete my posts?

"I set up my account and was told everything was set to go ...  month later a customer has placed an order and my account has now been under review for over a week even though they said it would only take 1 to 2 days.  Every second day i am asked to provide ore information which I have done so in spades.  I have been asked to rpovide info that I dont think they should have the right to ask such as personal and business bank statements for at least 3 months.  This is embarassing to me and my business and could cost me a valuable client.  If it is not resolved immediately then I am going to switch to anothe rpayment processor.  I am not sure who Square is trying to protect or what they are looking for at this stage.  When you call you speak to a customer service agent that does nothing .... This is not as professional a company as I thought."

Message 22 of 37

@squareuser1234 Sorry to hear about the delay. 

There's not much we can do from the Seller Community since it's a public forum. 

Keep in contact with the team handling your case and they should be able to get you taken care of. 

Message 23 of 37

This is not right

im waiting on my money

i have bills to pay. And customers to take care of. But can't cause they hold your money on this verification thing. Really doesn't sound legit. And asking for my personal info. 

Not a happy customer 

Message 24 of 37

I went through the same thing. After the verification is over they do release your money. Just send them the info they ask for. It is very inconvenient and they heard my complaints. I sent them what they needed and now I'm back to handling my business. Mind you I have been with them for years and it happened randomly. So you aren't alone and it's not just for new customers. 

Message 25 of 37

Hey @Andy1, I'd be happy to help clear up any questions you have. I understand that the verification process isn't the greatest experience, but once your documents are submitted you will receive an update in 1-2 business days. 

Message 26 of 37

@Chad@EJ_@Im just wondering why is this such a huge problem? And if you read your review it says that it has been going on for years and if anyone complaints yall just deactivate there account and keep there money? Can I get an honest answer at least?

Message 27 of 37

@enawindow As mentioned previously, this happens to a very small percentage of sellers. 

Like the original post mentions, most sellers will never see this type of review. 

@Angeevm43 is  great example of getting through the review process quickly after providing the requested information and following instructions. 

Going through a review process doesn't mean your account will be deactivated. 

To answer your question, sellers don't get their accounts deactivated due to complaints. When accounts are deactivated, sellers are informed via email of the reason, with reference to a section of the Square Seller agreement or Squares Terms of Service

Message 28 of 37

@EJ_@Chad y does my reply keep getting dele?

Message 29 of 37

thats funny cause right when i posted that comment i got this email lol, Thank you for your email. Square’s Point of Sale service is designed to process payments for the sale of goods or services. It is not designed to process person-to-person transfers, or to facilitate payments between companies owned by the same individuals/groups of individuals or within companies. Such activity includes swiping your own credit or debit card, or those of family members or friends or associates. This activity is prohibited, and will lead to account deactivation. Per Square’s Payment Terms, Square may also opt to hold, for a given amount of time, any funds pending that derive from such activity. WHAT! !!! designed to process payments for goods and services I sent them a copy of my DBA show I am a sole owner of my company ,Tax permit,and a completed w9 forum with my EIN and signature and copys of my bank transaction without being asked just to verify I am a 100% lagit business and what I do I own a window cleaning company /house cleaning company now I don't know about other business but expecially in small towns and even big citys at some point you are going to do business with someone you know an associate a friend a family member! so now what? my account is going to be deleted and $180 took by yall because my 76 year old grandma is on my clients list? good lu

Message 30 of 37

I verified the account. Deposit was available. And now new transaction and deposit withheld again! Why once verified?!?!?

Message 31 of 37

@hobart Sorry for the late reply here. 

Were you able to get everything taken care of? If not, let me know and we can reach out to the team handling your case for updates. 

Message 32 of 37

We are a service company that is looking to do close to $1M this year and they have verified who we are and what we do twice and they are now holding up our funds and effectively shut us down until we can get things straight by reviewing us again. Beyond frustrating! They use the same bank as we do (Chase) and my bank mgr is checking on getting us a credit card processer directly from them. When this is over Square will not get any more money from my company.

Message 33 of 37

Why would a seller encouter this verification process out of the blue? I've been using Square for a long time and i did not receive the email letting me know that all deposits are on hold until this issue is resolved. What happens if my customers make a payment? Does that money ever come to me?  After this unexpected stunt, I feel incredibly unsafe as a business owner to use Square's services if it is habitual to simply shut down an account because Square feels like it, with zero warning..im still waiting for transactions to clear off this happened on a tuesday its already monday when will my trasactions clear off.

Message 34 of 37
Alumni

Hi @natrob! In some cases, our Account Services team will place a hold on your account to make sure your funds don't get into the wrong hands. It sounds like after an unsuccessful attempt to reach out last week, we were able to get in contact today and get you back to normal. If something still looks out of whack, please let me know!

Message 35 of 37
Beta Member

Bump.  Need escalation on my account verification pls.

Message 36 of 37
Beta Member

Bump. Need help as account placed on hold once again. Have been verified and cleared at least three times since my

last post. Thanks 

Message 37 of 37