x

Can you store a card on file in the mobile app?

I figured out how to add a card on file on my desktop, but is there a way to do that on the mobile app? Also, can I choose when/how much to charge the card on file? I'm using it for rentals in the event of damaged goods.

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You sure can! Once you have enabled your settings, you’ll be able to start saving your customer’s cards. There are three ways that you can save a customer’s card: before a sale, after a sale, or through the Customer Directory in your Register App. Here they are:

Before a sale
Note: It’s a little easier using your device in landscape view.

1. Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner > Add Customer.
  2. Select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.
  3. Tap Edit Personal Information > scroll to the bottom and tap Add Card.
  4. Swipe the card or manually key in the card information. You’re required to enter the customer’s name and email address.
  5. Have your customer enter their email address for receipts.
  6. Have your customer authorize the card on file for future purchases by entering their billing ZIP code. Your customer will receive an email confirming that you have saved a card on file for them.
  7. You’ll see Card Saved once it’s linked to the customer’s profile. If your business has multiple locations, you can use a saved payment card to process a transaction at any of them.

After a sale
To start, ring up your customer as you normally would. Once you’ve completed the payment, you can store the payment card information used in the sale using the steps below.

1. Tap the add card icon in the top-left corner of the All Done Screen.
  2. Select an existing customer or tap Create New Customer.
  3. Use steps 3-7 from the section above, “Before a sale” to add and save the payment card information.

From your in-app Customer Directory

1. Open the Square app and tap the following icon:
  2. Tap Customer > select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.
  3. Use steps 3-7 from the section above, “Before a sale” to add and save the payment card information.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square

Hello! While we don't currently offer the ability to link cards in-app, I can see how that would be an awesome feature. I know it's definitely something that I've heard requested. I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our product liaison team! For more details on how to use card on file with recurring invoices, check out this product update page.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 15

Is it possible to store customers with cards on my square account and use their information to make a charge for a client of mine?

I use oauth to get access token from my clients and I have an app where customers can save their information. The problem is there could be many clients whose accessToken I need and it would be inconvenient for the customers to save their card with each access token.

Message 3 of 15
Square

While you are able to store customer cards on file for invoice payments, we don't yet have that ability to store cards for Square Register payments. 

This is absolutely a request that we have heard before and I'll absolutely share any updates that I get from our Product Team. 

Message 4 of 15

Great, thank you for the update!

Message 5 of 15
Alumni

Hi there @thailey and @jessicahimes - we thought you might like to know that as of today, you can store cards on file with Square Register! 🎉 Read more about it here and let us know if you have any questions! 

Message 6 of 15

I guess I misunderstood the answer cause I don't think this solves my problem. My problem is I have an app that many merchants can sell items through. I want to know if I can save customer cards on my account and allow my merchants to access saved cards (from my account) for payments. As stated, customer cards wouldn't be saved on merchant accounts but they could only access non-confidential card information from my account and these merchants authorize me to sell anyway. This would be convenient for customers because they wouldn't have to reenter their card info for every new merchant that has authorized me to access their account.

Message 7 of 15
Alumni

Hi @thailey, with the new Card on File feature, you can save customer cards to your account and then charge them to that card the next time they make a purchase from you. Check out this post for more details: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/Square-Register-Update-Card-on-File/m-p/19070#M9...

I'm not sure I understand exactly how your setup words, but I think this is what you were wondering about. 

Let us know if that makes sense or if you have more questions! 

Message 8 of 15

@Kpay thanks for your help. But this doesn't solve my problem. I may have asked in the wrong forum or something. I don't need to save a card on file through my account in a register app because I have a node js app the utilizes square endpoints, not the register api. I can already save a card on file and charge through my account. I need functionality that allows me to save cards to my account but allows merchants to access those cards saved on my account. In this way customers can save a card to a central account, mine for my specific app, and pay through merchants that have authorized me to sell.

Message 9 of 15
Alumni

@thailey, thanks for clarifying and sorry I misunderstood! 

There are a couple places that might be more helpful for you. Check out this page: https://docs.connect.squareup.com/articles/getting-started/

And you may also want to search stack overflow here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/square-connect

I hope this helps! 

Message 10 of 15
Square

Best Answer

You sure can! Once you have enabled your settings, you’ll be able to start saving your customer’s cards. There are three ways that you can save a customer’s card: before a sale, after a sale, or through the Customer Directory in your Register App. Here they are:

Before a sale
Note: It’s a little easier using your device in landscape view.

1. Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner > Add Customer.
  2. Select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.
  3. Tap Edit Personal Information > scroll to the bottom and tap Add Card.
  4. Swipe the card or manually key in the card information. You’re required to enter the customer’s name and email address.
  5. Have your customer enter their email address for receipts.
  6. Have your customer authorize the card on file for future purchases by entering their billing ZIP code. Your customer will receive an email confirming that you have saved a card on file for them.
  7. You’ll see Card Saved once it’s linked to the customer’s profile. If your business has multiple locations, you can use a saved payment card to process a transaction at any of them.

After a sale
To start, ring up your customer as you normally would. Once you’ve completed the payment, you can store the payment card information used in the sale using the steps below.

1. Tap the add card icon in the top-left corner of the All Done Screen.
  2. Select an existing customer or tap Create New Customer.

From your in-app Customer Directory

1. Open the Square app and tap the following icon:
  2. Tap Customer > select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 15

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I store a customer's card on file for future use?

How do I store a customer's card on file for future use?

Message 12 of 15
Admin

Hello @caseydc, take a look at this post for the steps to store a customer's card on file from the app before or after a sale! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 15

So by getting them to enter their zip code you wouldn't need to get a written form also?

Message 14 of 15
Admin

That's correct @BAC, when a customer enters their ZIP to the app this serves as authorization to store their card information on file.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 15 of 15