x

I have a category that I no longer use, can it be deleted?

In my list of categories, I need to delete one that will never be used again.  Is it possible to delete?

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can delete your categories by heading to the Items section of your Square Dashboard, then clicking Categories to view the categories you've set up. Once you're here, you'll look to the far right side of the screen, underneath the Create a Category button. You'll click the three dots to the right of any category you'd like to delete. You'll have two options here: Rename and Delete. 

Select Delete, and you'll see a pop-up screen asking you to confirm that you'd like to delete - press the red Delete Category button here. I hope this helps!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Square Community Moderator

You can absolutely delete categories. 

You can do so from the Categories section of your Square Dashboard Item Library. 

Once there, click on the Trash Can icon that is next to the category you no longer want. 

Message 2 of 18

What would deleting an item or category do to previous sales and reports......would the deleted item sales still show on reports?

Message 3 of 18
Square

You can delete any items or categories and they will still display in historic sales and reports. 

Message 4 of 18

there is no trash can on my screen; no way to delete a category.  I can edit it,  I can add items, but I cannot delete the category

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

Hi @wildedgefelt - welcome to the community!

The instructions @EJ posted are to make changes to your categories from the Dashboard. You can definitely delete a category from the Point of Sale app too.

From the Point of Sale app:

1. select Items from the menu
  2. tap Categories
  3. tap the category you would like to delete
  4. tap Edit Category
  5. tap Delete Category

I hope this helps clear things up. Post again with any other questions!  

Message 6 of 18

How can I delete the categories I have entered. I need to start over. Thanks

Message 7 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

Message 8 of 18

I'm not seeing how to delete the category on this link you posted. 

Message 9 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

In the dashboard just go to Items / Categories and find the category you don't want and click the trash can next to it.

Message 10 of 18

I created categories but I have decided I do not want them. How do I delete all my categories?

Message 11 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

You can delete your categories by heading to the Items section of your Square Dashboard, then clicking Categories to view the categories you've set up. Once you're here, you'll look to the far right side of the screen, underneath the Create a Category button. You'll click the three dots to the right of any category you'd like to delete. You'll have two options here: Rename and Delete. 

Select Delete, and you'll see a pop-up screen asking you to confirm that you'd like to delete - press the red Delete Category button here. I hope this helps!

Valentina
Message 12 of 18

When I try to delete the category this is the warning I get: "The 2022 Wine & Chocolate category has 12 items assigned to it. Deleting it may affect reports and printer routing settings. This action cannot be undone."  Any thoughts?

Message 13 of 18
Super Seller

@webbwinery All that means is that your category has items still assigned to it. You have two choices to continue forward:

-delete the category then go into your item library and find all the items that are now labeled Uncategorized and update their category info

-go into your item library, click All Categories, select the “2022 Wine and Chocolate” category, then move the items out before deleting the category. 

all historical reports will still show that category and items assigned to it so don’t worry about losing the data

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 14 of 18

I deleted a category and when doing so, I received a message indicating that I was about to delete 52 items, and asking me if I'm sure I want to perform that action. I did so I deleted. Why are they still showing up in my inventory, but now the category is set to 'none'. This has really thrown off my inventory. Please advise. Thanks.

Message 15 of 18
Super Seller

Hello @TLD813 !

This is by design. Categories are independent from the items. If you are wanting those items out of your item library, you'll need to delete the items themselves, not just the category. I agree the wording on the category deletion could be a little better.

To bulk delete items, you can export your item library to Excel, delete the item rows, and import your library. More info on this can be found in this help file.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 16 of 18

is there a way to mass delete all categories - i had imported inventory from a vendor and in the process it uploaded ALLL of their categories and i want that junk out of there - but we are talking hundreds - clicking the 3 lines delete delete for all of them is a pain in the rear - please tell me there is a way to bluk delete items cause this is not user friendly at all

Message 17 of 18
Square Community Moderator

At this time bulk editing categories is a Feature Request @WalindaK. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

In the meantime, you are able to bulk assign the correct categories to your item by exporting your current directory and using Search and Replace in Excel or your preferred spreadsheet editor, for the necessary categories. After you're done you may upload the file again to have your item fall in the correct categories. I know this isn't as friendly or convenient but wanted to let you know of this alternative.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 18 of 18