x

Feature Request: Kiosk / Hide Options

Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Since we cannot seem to get the actual functionality for a self service kiosk, can we at least get an update to the app, so that we do not see the menu items for things an employee does not have access too? (e.g. if the employee does not have access to reports... why does the menu item display? Seems it would make sense to remove instead of clicking on it and see the permissions error. 

252 Comments

Welcome to the Seller Community @gamecoder5

I think that it's awesome you're building a self service kiosk. I had to remove your email address from the post since it violates the Community Guidelines, but you can still share your email over a private message if another seller is interested. 

Chad,

Thank you for letting me know!

Yes, if anyone is interested in more information, please feel free to send me a private message.

Scott.

I would be interested in offering a self service kiosk at our Physical Therapy business for check in and payment of services.. might this be a viable solution?

The idea I had was a self service kiosk customizable by the admin geared towards a non persistent setting, like for example, a food kiosk.

But I am really interested in hearing more about your idea of check in and pay. What would the check in involve from your patients? A sign in maybe? Once they check in, is that when they pay, or are there other features provided  for them? How do they know how much to pay?

If you feel more comfortable answering these questions in private, please go ahead.

Scott.

Hi @Chad - thank you for the update here. It would be great to know if Square is working on this at all.

Hey @greg4. I wish I had more information to share, but right now we are still tracking requests for this feature. 

I just looked at the employee thing. Yes, you can disable a lot of functionality, but that's it. It appears people can still try to logout, it just prompts them for a passcode, and sign off is still an option. If someone signs off... that's pretty much it for the self checkout. The employee option is $5 a month! 

Super Seller

Thought I'd offer an update on this. I've been using guided access as a work-around for a self-service terminal for a couple months now. We have two iPad's in a local regional airport. Neither have any staff support and customers are responsible to use the honor system to pay for their coffee by using the square register. While not without a quirk here and there this has been a solid solution allowing customers to ring up a drink and pay for it themselves without the need for assistance. 

This effectivly locks out any other interaction with the iPad, they cannot sign-out, change apps or even move away from the primary menu screen because all those areas are locked and do not respond if touched by the user.

While this solution does work for a limited menu of options fairly well it does not work well with complex ordering menu's or even menu's with lots of options. 

Beta Member

Hi Scott, I am interested in the Kiosk mode.  Any progress?  Can you email me with updates?  Thanks, Ron

I sent you a message with updates on how it is coming along.