x

How do I use the Comp feature to track inventory for items used by employees?

The title of this thread has been updated from: "Wasted inventory"

Just wondering if there is a way to track wasted inventory? 

Say for example I have 100 sodas in inventory, and an employee takes one (free for employees) is there a way to "waste" that item so the inventory matches it? 

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @JosephS!

Welcome to the Community! @oregancrepe's got the right idea👍🏼

Applying a Comp for an item will update your inventory count and will show up in your item sales reports for your records while while removing the cost on the customer bill. You can even create a Comp Reason as Employee Discount. Check out Comp and Void to learn more on how to set it up.

Hope that helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

technically that soda should be rung up and comped.

Message 2 of 22

So to comp it, it will still take out of inventory correct? Because at the end of the day I have to tally total sales of a certain item, then deduct how many of them were  "wasted" by the employees themselves thus leaving the actual "sale number" vs just the "inventory number" 

I'm not sure if that makes sense? 

Message 3 of 22
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @JosephS!

Welcome to the Community! @oregancrepe's got the right idea👍🏼

Applying a Comp for an item will update your inventory count and will show up in your item sales reports for your records while while removing the cost on the customer bill. You can even create a Comp Reason as Employee Discount. Check out Comp and Void to learn more on how to set it up.

Hope that helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 22
Beta Member

The comp report appears to show the retail value of all comped items. Is there a way to see the cost of all comped items over a period of time? It seems like the cost would be a more useful metric than the retail value for this.

Message 5 of 22

I only use the Virtual Terminal and I don't see where the comp button is. Can someone help please?

Message 6 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @johnnn 

At this time the Comp button isn't available in Square's Virtual Terminal. At this time, this would be considered a Feature Request. In order to appropriately send these to our product teams we’d love it if you'd submit this request on our Ideate page for Square Virtual Terminal. Our team monitors these boards and we triage them to measure needs. You can search the boards to see if this has been requested before and add your use case if so!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 22
Beta Member

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Remove from Inventory for shop use?" The author has been notified via email.

Hello. I run a small space gardening shop. From time to time, we have to remove an item from inventory in order to use it in the shop (example: clear plastic saucers to use under plants in the shop. when we get new plant stock in, we may need to use one of our inventoried saucers underneath that plant). Is there a "best"  or recommended Inventory Action to to remove that item from stock? We've been using "damage" since the item is no longer sellable, but now we can't tell the difference in reporting of truly damaged items (ex: a pot that fell and brok) and an item marked out of stock for shop use (the saucer). 

Thanks.

Message 8 of 22

We often give away items for free. Two categories: Donations and Give Aways. Is there a benefit to tracking what you are giving away? Is there a way to adjust inventory for give aways at checkout instead of manually adjusting the inventory every time? And we could use a 100% discount, but it shows up in Gross Sales. Is there a way to avoid this?

Message 9 of 22
Admin

@salg Have you considered using the Comp feature to track these giveaways? I merged your post into this thread so you can read more about Comp and Void. You can create specific Comp Reasons: in your case you could create one for Donation and another for Give Away.

When you comp an item your inventory is updated automatically, and you can use the Comp Report to keep an eye on things! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 22
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Winery tasting room inventory

I have a small winery.  In are tasting room we go thru bottles just for tasting not for sale. When we use one of the bottles how can I get it out of inventory and note what it was used for without doing a sale?

Message 11 of 22
Admin

@Wmswinery Have you tried using the Comp feature? You can create a Comp Reason, e.g. 'Sample' to record in the app, and when you complete the 'sale' the inventory will be updated to reflect one less item in stock. (The amount of the sale will automatically be $0.00.)

With this feature you'll be able to see the name of the Comp (i.e. the reason for it) from the Transactions section of your online Dashboard. You can also view and download a Comp report to see how many samples you've used over a period of time.

I hope this helps, if you have any feedback about it let me know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 22

I have the same issue at my salon and spa because I provide my hairstylists Back Bar (shampoo and conditioner that they use on clients). These items are not for sale because they are a business need to operate smoothly. I still have to continually purchase these items, but they will never be sold to anyone. How would I track these specific items that I buy for the business ? 

Message 13 of 22

At my salon I provide my hairstylists Back Bar (shampoo and conditioner that they use on clients). These items are not for sale because they are a business need to operate smoothly. I still have to continually purchase these items, but they will never be sold to anyone. How would I track these specific items that I buy for the business ? 

Message 14 of 22
Admin

Hey @MaisonNoire! I moved your duplicate question to this thread. 🙂

Did you try @Helen's steps listed above?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 15 of 22

I’ve seen comments on this, dating back to 2018.  Is there a resolution?  I have a customer that won an item and I need to account for that in my inventory.

Message 16 of 22
Beta Member

I need an accurate way to track inventory that was removed from the shelf for in-store use, without having it counted as a sale, and without having to go to "Adjust Inventory" and call it a recount or damage or some other inaccurate term. This needs to be easily and accurately handled from the Register.

Message 17 of 22

Hi @Mark1958 - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well.

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @PUKA, which has been marked as the Best Answer.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 22

Is there a way to make it need a specific managers code to approve comps/ voids?

Message 19 of 22

Hi @Burger-Co,

I see this is your first post! Happy to have you join The Seller Community.

Yes, you can able a enable a code in order to apply void/ comp. In order to do so you will actually have to create team member profile and enable the permission. 

Click here for more information about Team Management and setting up Team Permissons.

I hope that does the trick! Reach back out if you need further help. 

Message 20 of 22

I see that, however  can I do that for each manager? With different codes?

Message 21 of 22