x

How long does Square plan to support the iPad 2?

Now that my iPad 2 is no longer supported by iOS version 10 and newer, should I be concerned that Register may soon be unsupported on devices that iOS no longer supports?  I assume that going forward, there may be features in newer releases of Register thay may not be available on devices running iOS 9 and older?

In short, will upcoming versions of Register cause my iPad 2 become obsolete and unsupported?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 17
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Future iPad 2 support?

DO NOT reformat your iPad 2 you will not be able to get the square register from the Apple Store anymore. I am dead in the water now with my iPad 2. 

16 REPLIES 16
Square

@JKarasik - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! 

As for your question, I double checked with one of our App Release Managers before responding. They confirmed that we currently support iOS 8, 9 and 10, and are committed to supporting the iPad 2 for as long as possible.

Having said that, I will be sure to share any updates in this thread if any changes do happen.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 17

Hi Sean

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Thanks for letting me (and the rest of the community) know.  I won't panic for a while yet....

Message 3 of 17

DO NOT reformat your iPad 2 you will not be able to get the square register from the Apple Store anymore. I am dead in the water now with my iPad 2. 

Message 4 of 17
Square

@JKarasik - You're welcome, and in the meantime..... 

Or dip or tap. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 17

Everything still kool with using an ipad 2?  I just opened a square account, and I really don't want to have to buy a new ipad.

Message 6 of 17

Hello @sharpies, you can still use an iPad 2 with Square Point of Sale.

It might not be as fast as a new iPad and you might run into some issues regarding hardware compatibility, but you should still be able to use it. As Apple comes out with new iOS versions this iPad will eventually be phased out. 

Message 7 of 17

The recent april 5th update seems to be glitchy on IPAD 2.

Message 8 of 17

Hey @jamesboring! Could you share some of the symptoms that you're experiencing? 

Message 9 of 17

My iPad2 is recently having trouble loading the app.  Missed a shift of work because the app would not load.

Start up screen for app comes up on screen immediately, but does not load the program.  Has taken 20 tries to finally get it to load the register.

Help would be appreciated.

Message 10 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi @pixtureguy

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Point of Sale app to see if that helps. While the iPad 2 is still compatible, older iPad versions aren't going to be as fast as the newer hardware released. 

Let me know if this works for you.

Message 11 of 17

I have the same problems. Its horrible. I wont be able to run the system this summer. I have 2 complete sysytems. If I buy a new system will it still support the hardware or do I have to buy all new printers scanners and chips readers?

Message 12 of 17

Hello @windmillhill

If you purchase a new iPad and Square Stand your current printers, scanners, and card readers will be compatible. 🙂

Message 13 of 17

im trying to connect my Square Reader to my iPad 2 with IOS version 9.3.5 but when i go to settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader it says wireless not supported. But if i go to the compatible devices page it says ISO version 9.3.5 and up is supported.

Message 14 of 17
Admin

@Wpullen20

For the best performance, you’ll want to make sure you’re running the latest version of iOS on your device.

iPad 2 and iPad (3rd generation) do not support iOS 12, the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system.

The Square Point of Sale app requires the latest version of iOS to run smoothly, and these two devices are unable to upgrade to the latest versions. I'd recommend upgrading your hardware to get the most of the Square app.  I will look into the compatibility page for that reader, as it may work in some cases, but without updatable hardware, it is not fully supported.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 15 of 17
Super Seller

Bluetooth 4.0 isn't supported by the iPad2, the reader will work docked in a Square Stand but it can not connect to it wirelessly.  Square will run on 9.3.5 currently just not connect wirelessly as the Bluetooth 4.0 spec wasn't around yet when the iPad 2 was manufactured over 8 years ago which in computer and gadget age is forever ago.

"If you’re using Square Stand, you can connect the reader to your stand’s USB hardware hub to accept any payment type. Mobile devices not connected to Square Stand will connect wirelessly with the reader.

Note: iPad 2 will not connect wirelessly with the reader. If you use an iPad 2 + Square Stand, you’ll need to connect the reader to the stand’s USB hardware hub."

from https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5584-devices-compatible-with-square-contactless-and-chip-car...

Message 16 of 17

I came back to work after 18 months of dealing with Covid to find that my iPad 2 no longer worked with square. Annoying to say the least as I don't want to spend 1k on a register. Square should supply their clients with check out devises at a lower price when they make your current means of checkout obsolete. Thinking of choosing another company.....

@JKarasik wrote:

Now that my iPad 2 is no longer supported by iOS version 10 and newer, should I be concerned that Register may soon be unsupported on devices that iOS no longer supports?  I assume that going forward, there may be features in newer releases of Register thay may not be available on devices running iOS 9 and older?

In short, will upcoming versions of Register cause my iPad 2 become obsolete and unsupported?

Message 17 of 17