x
Alumni

What Are Your Valentine’s Day Promotion Ideas?

Since February 14th is coming up in a few weeks, we thought it would be fun to share Valentine Day's promotion ideas in the community and spread the love <pun intended>. Would love to hear if you have a creative way to bring customers into you store! How do you promote Gift Cards? What marketing campaigns do you send out? Are there any instore activities you do? 

An idea I have heard from a seller is a “Share the Love” campaign that promote Gift Cards at a discount the week before Valentine’s Day. 

What are your ideas?

giphy (1).gif
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square

@dmaniar Love the question and I'm curious to hear some creative ideas from other folks in the Seller Community!

I'm happy to kick things off with one of my ideas 💡, I think that I'd use eGift cards as a way to create fun Valentine's Day cards that folks could send to their friends and family (digitally). Since we let you make a custom eGfit card, just find or create a image of a fun or catchy Valentine's Day card that you like, and then upload it from the Gift Cards tab. I went with this one: 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 9.41.07 PM.png

Once someone buys one, they can set it to send on a future date, i.e. Valentines Days. Set it and forget it!  

If you want to sweeten the deal a bit more 😉, you could also consider creating a site-wide discount or create a promo code for your eGift Card site. You could even take it a step further and use Square Marketing (or another marketing tool you use) to create a campaign that would promote your eGift Card site.  Well that's my two cents!  

I know we've had a few other folks chime in on similar posts like this in the past ( *cough* @Tritter82 @RHatch @pessosices @LocavoreStore *cough*), if y'all have any suggestions: please share. 🙂 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 15
Alumni

Thanks for chiming in, @Sean! I hope we get some more 🥑  (or other food) themed suggestions.

Message 3 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

That is an absolutely genius idea! I just now started setting up my new Valentine's Day Gift Card and my marketing for it! Thanks @Sean!

Otherwise, at our Ice Cream Store, we're known for our Signature Milkshakes & Sundaes that we change every month. So coming up we're going to have our Love Shake (we love puns. Love shack baby!) for Valentine's Day with Strawberry & Cotton Candy Ice Cream, with Strawberry Sauce mixed in, and Whipped Cream on top, with 2 Straws.

We post this on all of our Social Media channels and we'll include it in a Square Marketing Email along with our cool new eGift Card!

IMG_0111.jpg

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 15
Square

Thanks! Love the idea of creating custom products around the holidays. I know I'm certainly a sucker for a pumpkin spice latte in the fall. 🎃

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 15
Super Seller

I think last year we did a small gift for every purchase... Like a honey straw, or a small chocolate for every purchase... It was okay. We don't tend to get much of a reaction for holiday campaigns. It's not that our customers aren't festive or whatever, theyre just kind of indifferent I guess (not in a bad way). We were thinking about offering some sort of discount for other business owners in our downtown area. I think they would appreciate it more.

Message 6 of 15

Hi folks,

Our pie shop usually sees a bump in sales around holidays and special occasions, but pie isn't usually something you think of giving when it comes to Valentine's Day. We do the usual stuff of putting out messaging to try to get people to think differently about what to give for Valentine's Day (ie: why not pie instead of chocolates/flowers?). And that usually works okay.

For us, I think the keys for these types of special days have always been 1) Is there a way to align ourselves with the holiday; and 2) how can we incentivize people to come in?

What we've done in the past is we usually bring out one of the three chocolate pies that we have in our menu. We specialize in fruit filling pies and usually don't have them on the menu all the time--so we bring them out for special occasions. Like I mention above, we've done okay doing this. Good sales, nothing gangbusters though.

This year we're going to try something a little bit different though. We're going to do our own spin on offering chocolate covered strawberries/a box of chocolates.

At our shop we offer mini pies for sale instead of slices of pie:

Different varieties of our mini pies.Different varieties of our mini pies.

Four fit perfectly in our full size pie boxes so what we plan to do is offer a special 'Strawberries + Chocolate' Valentine's Day box with two strawberry mini pies and two chocolate mini pies at a discounted price. Our hope is that with the theme of the holiday in mind and the lower price point it'll drive sales at our shop.

We actually saw another pie shop did this last year and thought it was a super idea. Hopefully our customers do so as well.

Message 7 of 15
Alumni

@HPC_Shop, this is awesome! Thanks for giving us details and a pic (now I want pie!! 🥧  😍  )

I love your take on strawberries and chocolate boxes - very clever. How do you communicate with your customers about your specials? Do you do email campaigns? Or social media campaigns? 

You'll have to let us know how sales work out this year! 

Message 8 of 15

Apologies for the delay in response on this topic.

Social media is big for us so that's the first avenue we utilize to get the word out about our specials & new offerings. We also send out emails to our customers through Constant Contact. And also what we started doing this year is we started adding small (hopefully not intrusive) inserts into the bags of most purchases in shop.

Message 9 of 15
Alumni

Happy Valentine's Day! ❤️

Message 10 of 15

Hey everyone, just wanted to provide an update on how our Valentine's Day promotion went this year . . .

On the whole, we were very happy about how our Strawberries & Chocolate Mini Pie Boxes went this year. Just a little backstory, the past two years we've done a chocolate pie (full size) for the full week of Valentine's Day. That would do okay. We'd get a good bump in sales on the day of and the rest of the week would be good.

This year though we just went with the mini pie boxes and had this as a special for Tuesday and Wednesday only (Valentine's Day and the day before). Our sales for Valentine's Day were about 30% higher this year than last year and we were getting lots of positive comments from our customers as well. I think offering the smaller pies as a variety pack fit better with the holiday than just offering a whole chocolate pie as a special. So yes, we're very happy with how things went this year.

And here's a photo of the four mini pies (sans box):

VDay4Pk.jpg

Message 11 of 15
Alumni

That looks so ono, @HPC_Shop🤤 I have to stop by the next time I'm visiting my family in Waipahu.

Much mahaloz for sharing! 🤙🏼

P.S. Nice tablecloth. I have the same one.  😊

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

I like the sound of mini pies all year round too!

A big pie is intimidating to me, but mini pies, I could eat four boxes of those "by accident"

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 13 of 15
Square

+1  to mini pies all year around (and pies in general)! 🥧 😍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 15
Alumni

@pessosices A freshly baked mini apple pie from @HPC_Shop with a couple scoops of your ice cream sounds like a dream right now. 😭

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 15