x

Can I use multiple Square readers with the same Square account?

I new in this and I would like to use 2 square readers with the same bank account? Can I?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 88
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Great questions! 👍

You can definitely do this. You will just need to download the Square Point of Sale app onto each mobile device, and sign in using the same Square account (username and password). The readers don't actually have any account information tied to them - the app is the brains of the operation. 

Hope this helps!  

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2020.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 88
87 REPLIES 87

Can I send other people or companies that have accounts with square funds, and they have instant access?

Message 64 of 88
Super Seller

the card readers are "dumb" devices, meaning they are not tied to any specific account and can interchange freely between accounts.  They simply work with the Square POS app and use whatever account is signed in.  you can have as many devices and readers on an account as you want.

Message 65 of 88

The title of this thread has been changed by a moderator from: "We use a square card reader but have only ever used it with my phone. Can I set it up so that my wif" to: "Can multiple phones use one account to process payments?"

We use the card reader with my iPhone for all of our transactions. Can my wife’s iPhone be added so that she can take payments also? Same business and accounts.

Message 66 of 88
Admin

@Jameslisaa You sure can! I moved your question to this relevant thread so you can get some more info on this topic. 👍

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 67 of 88

Is it possible for two employees to have iPads with the Square App and mag strip reader solely for credit card payments and then have it connect to the Retail POS? I guess what I am asking is will the payments be collected and recorded in the register at the end of the night? 

Thank you!

Message 68 of 88

Retail & POS Keyboards and Input Devices. Mag swipe, card readers and point of sale keyboards.Buy Now From KBS.

Message 69 of 88

I process all square sales through my I-Phone.  When I have to go away and take my phone my wife needs to process sales through her phone.  How do we set this up?

Gene @ Island Time Food Service

Message 70 of 88
Square Community Moderator

Hi @PStuffel123 ,

Your post has been moved as it's not relevant to the Online Store Live Q&A you originally posted in.

I moved your post to an existing thread that answers your question here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 71 of 88

Hi,

Our business sets up every weekend at a couple of different shows. Is there a way to not have all transactions mix on the same acct? Can they have a separate login to only see their transactions and not all? They must all go to the same bank acct. but wanted to keep things separate. Thanks for the help

Steve 

Message 72 of 88

Message 73 of 88

Im confused, is each reader considered a new location? I want to have several readers for the 1 location. Is that possible?

Also, can i set permissions so that only an admin can change pricing and products?

Message 74 of 88
Admin

Hey @MrV, welcome to the seller community!

I hope I can help make things more clear. Nope, a reader is not considered a new location—you can use multiple card readers in one location. Square card readers themselves are not associated to a specific account, location, or individual. This allows you to sign in to the same account on multiple devices and use multiple readers simultaneously.

Regarding your question about setting permissions—it sounds like Mobile Staff would be your ideal solution. With this option, your employees will be able to log in using their own email/password and their permissions will be limited to only accepting payments.

You may also want to learn about our advanced employee management option, which allows you to set up customized employee roles and permissions: Square Employee Management

For more details on how locations work with Square, have a look here: Manage Multiple Locations with Square.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 75 of 88

Just to be clear:  I can use two readers one 1 terminal?  This would be very helpful because or dine in and carryout are on two sides of the same counter.  Would I just plug the second reader into the USB hub?  Also, my hub is full so can I use a USB splitter to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Message 76 of 88
Alumni

Two readers cannot be used at the same time on one device. I think the Seller's question above is different and refers to using multiple square readers with the same account, but not simultaneously on one device. 

@HarvestTable

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 77 of 88

Yes you are right!

Message 78 of 88

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Multiple Square Readers

I am needing to run two different square readers at the same time for a book event I'm doing. I will have long lines and need to get people through quickly. My understanding is that I can use multiple readers on different devices at the same time, all they need is the square app installed on their phone/ipad and then log into my account. 

Do I have all of that correct? Just want to make sure I'm good for this event in July.

Also I'm a little concerned about giving someone else who works my book  table my login info for square reader. I'm not sure I want them to have future access to my account. How can I manage that?

Thanks!

Message 79 of 88

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I run multiple card readers on one account?

I have several road salesmen across the state. Can I run multiple card readers on the same account, or do I have to set up an account for each salesman?

Message 80 of 88

Readers are not attached to the account, so more than one person can open the app, sign in & process sales simultaneously  🙂 

Message 81 of 88

I have a Girl Scout Troop and would like for multiple people to be able to take payments into the Troop account.  Getting extra readers is easy, but how do I set them all up so their app links to the Troop account?

Message 82 of 88
Super Seller

You can use your account on as many devices as you want.  all you have to do is download the app on the device and sign in with your account.

Message 83 of 88
Super Seller Alumni

You have it correct in that you can use multiple readers on several devices as long as they're all logged into the same Square account.

As far as maintaining your account's security, I can see two strategies:

1. If you subscribe to Square's Employee Management program, users whom you designate as employees will log into their own sub-accounts under your account and, as long as you set their permissions correctly, they will never have access to your account data,
  2. You can provide the other person (or people) with devices that you own, pre-logged into your account.  Of course this requires you to have multiple devices, but since you indicate that you only need two of them, if you have a smartphone and a tablet, both with the Square app loaded, you'd be good to go.  Of course, if you did this, the other person would have access to your information while he/she is in possession of the second device, so you'd need to keep them too busy to snoop around in your account 😁.
Judy T Shumway
Message 84 of 88