x

Will the Square USB hub work without Square Stand?

Will the square usb hub function without the square stand?

Specically I am interested in using it to provide power to my ipad and connectivity to a Star TSP 100 USB printer.

Does onyone know if this would work?

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

I reached out to our Product Team to get some more information on this for you, @Jay1

This is not the intended use for the Square Stand USB Hub. Using the hub in this way is not supported and will limit our ability to offer help should you need help. 

I also advise against using a thermal printer for your kitchen. The warm environment of a kitchen can lead to the tickets being illegible. We recommend using a supported kitchen ticket printer that can withstand warm environments. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Alumni

Hi @Jay1 - that's a good question. The USB hub for the Square Stand connects through a micro USB (the post is on the bottom of the Square Stand and the receiver is on the cable). I am not personally familiar with an available adapter that would allow you to connect an iPad to this cable. 

I recommend using a supported ethernet or Bluetooth printer if you are looking to use an iPad by itself.

I hope this helps - please post again if you have questions about supported printers. 🖨

Message 2 of 22

Hi @Russell Thanks for getting back to me on this. There are micro USB to Lightning converters available so maybe this would work. 

You said the receiver is on the cable, do you mean that the processing for the USB printer is done at the hub and not within the stand?

I already have an ethernet printer that's working well with the system but I want to deploy this as a kitchen printer and use the USB printer with the I Pad POS location. 

Message 3 of 22
Alumni

Best Answer

I reached out to our Product Team to get some more information on this for you, @Jay1

This is not the intended use for the Square Stand USB Hub. Using the hub in this way is not supported and will limit our ability to offer help should you need help. 

I also advise against using a thermal printer for your kitchen. The warm environment of a kitchen can lead to the tickets being illegible. We recommend using a supported kitchen ticket printer that can withstand warm environments. 

Message 4 of 22

Hi! I actually had the same question @Jay1. Did you try it? If you did, did it work?

Message 5 of 22

Of course you’ll tell them it doesn’t work but it’s just a USB hub! Not to mention some of us have no choice but to NOT use stand since we have 10.2” ipads! Go ahead and use the hub Apple says it works just fine...

Message 6 of 22

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Usb receipt printer with ios via Lighting to Usb cable”. The original author has been notified via email.

Hello, can i use a USB receipt printer via a lighting to USB cable for square

Message 7 of 22

I am reasonably confident that this is not possible.  Although you can buy adapter cables to make the physical connections, the communication protocol (for lack of better terms) doesn't exist on IOS.  So in my opinion, you have to use the Square Stand to provide the interface, but it is not playing well with the latest version of IOS.

Message 8 of 22

Really ISB hubs work fine with iPad... know what your talking about before commenting... my experience comes from Apple Tech!

Message 9 of 22

I believe @GotVinylOnline  is correct. It is proprietary in the way the connections are made from the lightning connector in the stand to the micro usb connector connecting the usb hub to the stand. However, it is not known whether there is a software aspect involved with the Square Stand and/or the Square POS software which allows only specified hardware to work in this configuration.

I've tried a Standalone Ipad setup with a usb hub using an Ipad Pro 12.9 in., and I have a Square Stand with a 6th Generation Ipad in it. My results are that the same hardware (printer and scanner) approved for the Square Stand does not work with the Ipad Pro using a usb hub. In the Standalone Ipad setup the printer and scanner does not show up in settings. You cannot use the printer in anyway. The scanner does input the barcode numbers on the item search screen area, but it does not automatically add the product to the cart as it does when using it with the Square Stand. This is similar to how scanners work with Android tablets as I have found in testing.

Furthermore, I've tried connecting a generic USB hub to the Square Stand USB hub (used in the regular Square Stand configuration) and the same devices which are recognized and usable when connected directly to the Square Stand USB hub do not work when connected to the generic USB hub. This leads me to believe there is something more going on here than just different hardware connections. Again, without the Square engineers input, it is not known whether this is due to something in the software, stand or the hub or a combination of them.

Granted that the Ipads used in Square Stands have a lightning connector while the newest Ipad Pros have a USB C (which was my setup for testing), I think the results would be the same if I tested a standalone Ipad with a generic lightning to USB hub. I would say that Square's hardware compatibility chart is correct in listing what works and doesn't work with each configuration.

With all of that being said, I have not tested a standalone Ipad with a lightning to female micro usb port to which you could connect the official Square Stand USB hub to, to see if the same Square Stand compatible hardware would work in this configuration. My guess is that the Square Stand and its compatible hardware can only work together when only their USB hub is used. I will update if I try some more configurations.

Message 10 of 22

@Zen2  if you do attempt to use the square hub with the lightening to female USB adapter please let me know how it works.  I have a 10.2" ipad, so the square stand does not fit it, but would like to be able to switch my current set up (using and android tablet that is on its last leg) to the ipad without having to replace the entire system.  i too have tried it with just a regular USB hub and did not have any luck with it identifying the printer, but was thinking that maybe there is something specific in the square hub that would make it work without the square stand since the stand is not an option for me.  

Message 11 of 22

Just wanted to update everyone.  I have tried the square hub without the square stand and nothing happens.  It does not even charge the ipad.  So for now, as I was desperate, I created a work around by buying an extension for the ipad plug and using a silicone gripper to hold it to the ipad stand.  its working for now.

Message 12 of 22

Thanks for updating us. I just got tired of trying to figure out how to customize everything so for now we are just using the square stand as is with the recommended hardware.

Message 13 of 22

Hi !

By this do you mean you have tried:

Lightning to female micro-usb adapter, plugged into your iPad,

the Square hardware hub then connected into that adapter,

and it still doesn't register on the iPad?

We are looking at making our own stands and originally planned on using a generic USB hub, but from the sounds of it that won't work. So now the thought process is using Square's hardware hub, but then connected into our own stand, not the 'Square Stand'.

Surely the micro-usb connection at the bottom of the stand is just a long adapter which then goes from micro-USB into lightning connector for where the iPad then slots into? Could there possibly be any more processing done there?

Message 14 of 22

There is definitely some sort of proprietary something in the stand.  It is not just a long micro usb as that did not work.  Everything I tried, square hub, regular hub, didn’t matter.  It did not work without going through the stand

Message 15 of 22

Did you ever happen to try using the stand with a lightning to usb adapter?  I'd like to know if I can make it work with the new ipad pro's via this route.

Message 16 of 22

The problem is that the square stand connection on the bottom for the included square stand usb hub/charger uses a proprietary connection. I tried connecting various hubs and even another lightning to usb adapter on it, but they were all never recognized by the ipad. I always got an "unrecognized usb device" message when I tried connecting anything up to it.

I went so far as dismantling the square stand and connecting a lightning to usb adapter to the ipad first and then to the lightning adapter on the stand, and that did not work for anything either.

Bottom line is that there is no workaround for the way Square has set up their stand hardware. It is what it is with its limitations. Maybe someone with more tech savvy can get it to do more, but the limitations seem to be more based within the Square POS software, hence the specific list of hardware items that they provide that work with it and nothing else.

Message 17 of 22

Yes I was able to figure out a work around.  I purchased a lightening cable extender and a silicone stretch ipad mount.  I will update with pics and links tomorrow 

Message 18 of 22

I was thinking about trying something like that.  What kind of tablet are you using?

Message 19 of 22

I am using the newest version ipad (with the 10.2 in screen).  I believe the square stand only works with ipads, but I have not tried that, so I state that with little knowledge or attempts at using something different.  I did not realize when I purchased the new ipad to go with the square stand that the ipad did not fit in the holder on the square stand.  I tried using just the hub, which did not work.  

So what I have done is purchased an ipad cable extender (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W9LCDJX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I used the one end to plug into the square stand, and the other end to plug into the ipad.  Second, I purchased a silicone grip holder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BCOKC3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to hold the ipad onto the square stand.

I also bought a case for the ipad and I have it in, since it does not sit in the "hole" of the square stand, but that was mostly because I own a garage with a bunch of guys that are not super careful with equipment and are constantly dirty so I was trying to protect the ipad as much as possible.  It was not a necessary step.

I placed the ipad on the square stand where it would normally go, but it sits on top of the "hole" for the ipad since it is too big to sit in it.  I put the cable extender under the ipad, so it is in the "hole" so that it doesn't get tugged on or anything.  Then I hooked everything else up as normal.  It works fine.  I have not had any problems with it.  It doesn't look the greatest if you don't carefully put the silicone grip on so it looks nice, but I own a garage that we use it on, so it is constantly dirty, so I'm not so worried about the looks anyways.

Message 20 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for popping back and sharing where you landed in terms of a solution, @aubreyd! Your candidness and willingness to help your fellow Sellers is so appreciated 📈🍻

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 21 of 22