x

Should I ask customers to sign Virtual Terminal receipt?

So I have been getting customers to sign anywhere on bottom of the reciept, There is no line for them to sign. Is this the right way to do it for cards that are charged thru virtual termianal and business is done over the phone?

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

how are they signing if they are not present?  What I would do for cards rung up thru the Square POS is to have the person taking the order write "phone order" in the signature box just so you will know when you are reviewing the receipts.  I personally would use virtual terminal only if I didn't have access to a device (smartphone or tablet) with Square POS simply because you lose all sales data on what is being sold in the virtual terminal as it is just a lump sum.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Best Answer

how are they signing if they are not present?  What I would do for cards rung up thru the Square POS is to have the person taking the order write "phone order" in the signature box just so you will know when you are reviewing the receipts.  I personally would use virtual terminal only if I didn't have access to a device (smartphone or tablet) with Square POS simply because you lose all sales data on what is being sold in the virtual terminal as it is just a lump sum.

Message 2 of 4

I email them copy of the reciept. they sign it and email it back to me along with my own authorization form clearly statting the charges and what for and the breakdown.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @khan93

Virtual Terminal payments are considered Card-Not-Present payments, so it's assumed the customer won't be able to sign for the transaction. 

What you're currently doing is likely the best way to get confirmation of authorization for your own records.

However, it sounds like Square Invoices might work better for you, as the invoice is sent to the customer via email and they complete the payment on their side. Have you tried this to see if it works better for you? 

Message 4 of 4