x

How do you use iPhone X with the Square reader?

How do I use the iPhone X with Square reader?

Message 1 of 13
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Update 2018: You can now buy a new Square magstripe reader that connects to your iPhone via the lighntning port! 🎉 To order a new magstripe reader sign in to the Square Shop.

Hey @Trri,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community 🙂

The adaptor you'll need (lightning port to headphone port) actually comes in the box with the iPhone X.

It should be located on the back of the cardboard insert that the headphones are on in the iPhone box. It's the same adaptor you'd be using in order to connect standard headphones to your iPhone X.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Myiimua, that should work as the adapter is changing the lightning port to 3.5mm headphone jack.  the only other option is the Square contactless reader for NFC, ApplePay, and chip cards.  this won't work for old cards only with the magnetic stripe.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

I have a older card reader that inserted into my phone but I recently got the iPhone 10 n it has a flat cord insert so I’d there a new card reader for my phone or some sort of adapter ?

Message 2 of 13
Admin

Best Answer

Update 2018: You can now buy a new Square magstripe reader that connects to your iPhone via the lighntning port! 🎉 To order a new magstripe reader sign in to the Square Shop.

Hey @Trri,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community 🙂

The adaptor you'll need (lightning port to headphone port) actually comes in the box with the iPhone X.

It should be located on the back of the cardboard insert that the headphones are on in the iPhone box. It's the same adaptor you'd be using in order to connect standard headphones to your iPhone X.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 3 of 13

I tried that and it doesn’t work. What other option do I have?

Message 4 of 13
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Myiimua, that should work as the adapter is changing the lightning port to 3.5mm headphone jack.  the only other option is the Square contactless reader for NFC, ApplePay, and chip cards.  this won't work for old cards only with the magnetic stripe.

Message 5 of 13

Check AirPlay
Apple devices use a feature called AirPlay which could also interfere with the headphone jack and swiping. They can use these steps to make sure the AirPlay settings are correct and that audio is definitely being sent to the headphone jack:

1. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center (on the iPhone X, swipe down from the top right.
  2. Long press the music playback controls in the top right corner of the Control Center.
  3. Tap the AirPlay icon in the top right of the music controls to reveal all available output sources.
  4. Tap Headphones.
  5. Tap the screen or click on the Home button to dismiss the Control Center.
Message 6 of 13

PIC-Lompoc your answer should have been voted "best answer". My Reader is lost in the mail. I borrowed one from someone else but it's got the headset jack. I couldn't get it to work, even though my adapter is fine. Thanks to your step-by-step, it's working now. I have a craft fair in 2 days -- you saved the show!

Message 7 of 13
Alumni

Hi there @RIssa - it sounds like you haven't had a chance to get in touch with our Support team - they would have been able to give you a hand with this!

If your reader hasn't arrived, and it's been more than 10 business days (two weeks), we'll want to help. Since you need the reader this weekend, you can still grab one before then! You can find a store carrying our hardware using this link - once you've made the $10 purchase, you can use the redemption code included inside the packaging to be credited for the cost here.

If you need help with account-specific things like this in the future, remember that you can always get in touch with our Support team by logging into your Square account and heading to this page.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Message 8 of 13

I did speak with a customer support representative named Lidya. The only place she could tell me to look was Target. No Target within an hour of me had readers. After putting me on hold a few times, she was able to learn that they're also available on Amazon. I ordered one and am hoping it will arrive today. Meanwhile I've borrowed one with a headset jack, and this random user on the forum helped me figure out how to make that work with my adapter and iPhone X.

I did ask if Square had the ability to ship a reader to me overnight, since the lost item is entirely Square's fault. That would have been the best remedy in terms of customer service. Making me solve your problem seems a little unfair.

Message 9 of 13

You just saved me 18 dlls I was about to order the adapter on amazon. Thanks for posting! 🙂

Message 10 of 13

checked the box and the cardboard insert the earbuds are on... there is no adapter...??

Message 11 of 13
Super Seller

starting with the iPhone XS, XS Max, and R the adapter is no longer included.  it is available for $9 on Apple.com or most stores like best buy.

Message 12 of 13
Super Seller

A lightning to headphone jack adapter was included for free in the box with your iPhone X. 

Message 13 of 13