x

Feature Request: Only display Custom Tip option

How can we eliminate the tip percentage options and just offer a custom tip amount option just before the customer signs for the charge?

Message 1 of 14
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Only display Custom Tip option

Hey @ericariddle - If you are using Acuity's app, we're unable to speak on what features are available. If you are using the Square Point of Sale app, we do have the option for customers to enter a custom amount on the tipping screen, but we don't have the ability for you to set custom amounts in whole quantities rather than percentages.

13 REPLIES 13

Hello @MrMo

Currently we don't offer this ability, but I've moved your post to the feature request board. From here we will track the feedback from other sellers. 

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 2 of 14
Super Seller

I was wondering the same thing. We are a small coffee shop and we would like to do tips 50 cents, 1 dollar and 2 dollars just like starbucks. 

1, 2 and 3 dollars is to much for small ticket items.

photo-2

Message 3 of 14

I see what you mean @cupzcoffeeaz. I know you can customize tip amounts for the percentages, but this isn't as easy to read as the whole or fractional dollar amounts. I'll make sure to flag this as well! 

Message 4 of 14

I had found that the 'custom tip' option was available along with the percentages when using the Square app directly. I wanted to start swiping cards through the Acuity app (an appt booking service that's integrated with Square), but the custom tip option disappeared. Kind of a bummer for a regular client that liked to tip me more than what the percentages offered. Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 14

Hello @GloreeBe, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is something you would have to reach out to Acuity about, since it's on their app. Personally I'm not familiar with their software, so maybe there's a setting on their app that you have to enable? 

Message 6 of 14

Hello, 

I also use Acuity and they assure me that the tip screen issue is something to talk to Square about. I dislike the percentages as well because someone may want to tip far less or far more than the percentage amounts. Is it currently possible to allow ONLY a custom tip amount? 

Message 7 of 14
Alumni

Hey @ericariddle - If you are using Acuity's app, we're unable to speak on what features are available. If you are using the Square Point of Sale app, we do have the option for customers to enter a custom amount on the tipping screen, but we don't have the ability for you to set custom amounts in whole quantities rather than percentages.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 14

I am also having this issue with the tipping option not being on the Square screen with the Acuity integration. I need clients to be able to leave a tip when they pay for their services. 

Message 9 of 14

I also would appreciate if it were possible for us to remove the percentages and keep the custom tip button at the time of check out. I’ve recently opened my own salon in which a lot of my clientele prefer to tip over the percentages listed. But as I ring them out, I’ve noticed most people are prone to hit the LARGE percentage buttons without paying attention to the rest of the screen while stating they wish they could tip over the percentages listed. By the time I’ve inform them of the custom button, they’ve already signed and hit accept. A large portion of my income is based on tips, and with most people paying with cards, the 15%, 20%, and 25% really knocks back on my income thus taking away from my new business. I know we can reset the percentages to something higher but that makes me feel off, almost as if I’m begging or demanding for more money.

Message 10 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can Tips be set to $20 $25 $30 as standard amounts instead of percentage?

For Massage therapists, clients are used to whole amounts, $80 charge $20 tip example. If they are offered 20% or 25% they often choose 20% or $16. I try to make our charges even amounts so the tips almost become automatic.

Message 11 of 14
Admin

Hi @ChinaVol, at this time there isn't a way to set custom dollar amounts for tips instead of percentages — but you can give customers the option to choose to enter a cutom amount instead. From the app tap Settings > Tipping > scroll down and toggle on Allow Custom Amounts).

In the meantime I'll share your feedback with the Point of Sale Team, I can see how it would speed up your checkout flow! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 14

I feel we should be able to customize the tip page and remove the percentage buttons and leave the “custom tip amount” and “no tip” because people don’t notice those small buttons when they have the large percentage buttons over them taking up most of the page.

I can tell you that I’ve lost money on people who’ve paid with a card because they get that “restaurant tipping” mindset when they see the “%” when they’re use to giving me a certain amount but now that amount is half, and in some cases, less than half. It doesn’t leave me feeling comfortable leaving the mobile app while only using the chip reader (which was very different when it came to tipping) to switching to the stand and register system. 

I chose Square to help me make money, not lose it. 

Message 13 of 14
Admin

Thanks for sharing that with us, @SnipSnipIts.

It definitely helps to know this additional information so our Product Teams can understand how other industries would benefit from having dollar amounts available for tips. 

We really appreciate you hanging in there with us. If there is a change that happens with our tipping functionality, we'll be sure to share that update here in the Community.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 14