x

How can a customer automatically pay for a recurring invoice series using a Card on File?

I use the recurring payment feature frequently and many of my customer save their card to file.

However, many have requested an automatic feature so they don't have to manually approve the payment every month.  Is there a way to do this or is this a feature that's in the works?  Thank you!

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is there a way for a customer to auto-pay recurring invoices?

Message 1 of 66
3 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

We're happy to inform you that this is possible!

Head over to the Invoices tab in your Square Dashboard, click on Recurring, and select the Recurring Series that your customer added a payment card on file to > select Edit. You can choose to repeat the invoice series for a specific number of days, weeks, months, or years.

From here, you will need to edit the Recurring Invoice Series and change the payment method from Do not charge a payment method on file to Charge XXXX ending in XXXX.

Read more about using a card on file with Square Invoices here.
If you're curious about learning more, here's a video that covers setting up recurring payments and Card on File: 

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated steps and screenshots.

View Best Answer >

Message 49 of 66

Best Answer

We're happy to inform you that this is possible!

Head over to the Invoices tab in your Square Dashboard, click on Recurring, and select the Recurring Series that your customer added a payment card on file to > select Edit.

From here, you will need to edit the Recurring Invoice Series and change the payment method from Do not charge a payment method on file to Charge XXXX ending in XXXX.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.53.21 AM.png

Learn more about using a card on file with Square Invoices here.

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated steps and screenshots.

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 66

Best Answer

Hi @DocMeg 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

Just a quick note of clarification here, when a customer adds their card on file, this does not automatically enroll them in recurring payments over a set course of time. Once the card is saved on file, you can choose to manually process it at any time, or you can set-up recurring automatic payments by creating an Invoice Series.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any clarifying questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 40 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

I have a client that I set up a recurring invoice for $85 a month, to occur at the 1st of each month.

With the first invoice, he Paid Invoice and checked the box to save his card on file.  Now it's the second month.  He was just invoiced via e-mail again and with a button to Pay Invoice.

This isn't what I thought was going to happen. The client's and my desire is at the beginning of each month, his card will be charged the $85 without any extra action needed by him or me.

Is this possible? Please help, thanks!

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do you change a recurring Invoice series to charge a Card on File?

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 66

I just want to clarify before I use the recurring invoice option: If I send a client a recurring invoice and they choose to save their card on file, will future invoices in that recurring invoice series automatically be charged to their card on file or do we have to create a new recurring invoice that is set to charge their card on file? 

Secondary question: will there eventually be an option to require a client to save their card to a recurring invoice series to, in effect, create a subscription that only happens if they allow their card to be charged automatically? 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 66
Square

Great question! You wouldn't have to create a new Recurring Invoice, but you would need to go back and edit it so you could designate "Card on File" as the payment preference.

As for your second question, while I can't make any promises about future product releases - this does sound like it could definitely be a useful feature. I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our product liaison team!  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 66

So, if I set up a recurring charge, what does it look like for the customer when they receive my notice? It appears I only see my end, not theirs?

Thank you

Message 5 of 66
Square

@rclebcandy - They'd get a notification that their card was charged, like a receipt. It would indicate it was a results of a recurring invoice.  

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 66

I have a question...I saw somewhere that for recurring payments, the customer would receive kind of like a "dashboard" and that they could remove their saved card at any time on their end - is there any way to disable them from removing cards? Or do we get notified when they remove their card? We offer monthly memberships and it would most likely be easier for us to have the customer go through us if they want to cancel their membership..

Message 7 of 66
Square

Hi @diypetgrooms, welcome to the Community. 

Definitely see why it would be useful to manage the subscriptions yourself, however that is correct: We offer customers the ability to manage how their card information is stored and can be used with Invoices. This is intended so the ability to disallow that permission in not something we're developing at this time. 

In any case, I appreciate the feedback and will pass it along to our developers. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 8 of 66

Hi, 

So just adding the card on file does not make it recurring correct?

Message 9 of 66
Square

You've got it! You'd have to set up a recurring invoice to make that happen. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 66
Beta Member

I have set up a recurring invoice .the customer saved thier card on file thruogh first payment. the second invoice shows it was sent . but it does not look charged to card automaticly. is there something i need to do. i thought it was auto when customer saved card in recurring invoiceing?

Message 11 of 66

Hey @cozccs

The card will be charged automatically when the invoice is due. The time of the charge will vary, but there will be no extra step on your part! 

The funds will then deposit into your account next business day. If this wasn't the case please let me know. I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 👀

Message 12 of 66
Beta Member

Thank You Chad. I found out I needed to enter myself also  the card the customer saved . I also had to check on the invoice the card I wanted to charge. then it all went smooth. Thanks again.

Message 13 of 66

@cozccs I see! Yes you do need to select this as the payment option for the invoice. 

Glad to hear you're all set. 😀

Message 14 of 66

This feature does not work for me.  Can you provide a step by step as to how this will activate after the client has saved their card info.  Several of our clients saved their card info but is still sent invoices that needs to be paid the next month.  I'm not sure what else to tell them as I was also under the impression that by them simply selecting "save card" their cards would be charged automatically as a montly subscriber.  Thanks for any help.

Message 15 of 66
Beta Member

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000293 EndHTML:000027648 StartFragment:000018082 EndFragment:000027541 StartSelection:000019103 EndSelection:000027465 SourceURL:https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/Will-a-recurring-invoice-series-automatically-be...: Will a recurring invoice series automatically be c... - Page 2 - The Seller Community

Thank You Chad. I found out I needed to enter myself also  the card the customer saved . I also had to check on the invoice the card I wanted to charge. then it all went smooth. Thanks again.

Message 11 of 23

Admin
Re: Recurring invoices and saved cards

@cozccs I see! Yes you do need to select this as the payment option for the invoice. 

Glad to hear you're all set. 😀

Message 16 of 66
Beta Member

Hi! Enjoying the potential for Recurring Invoicing provided by Square! Q: In light of how the customer is currently in control of their card and its info, would we as vendors / providers at least be NOTIFIED if they alter or moreovoer - REMOVE - their cards from the "Saved" category (effectively cancelling their recurring charge (or "subscription")?? Thanks for your reply! 🙂 

Message 17 of 66
Admin

Great question @MCDC!

At this time the vendor/Square seller is not notified if a customer removes their card on file from a recurring invoice. Your customer might be removing the card for several reasons: they might want to pay with a different card, or they need to update an expired card. 

However, you are notified if an invoice fails (for example, if the card is declined) and you can also always see when an invoice is unpaid or overdue from your Square Dashboard

I do see where your coming from here, and I'll share your feedback with our Product Team! It'll help them to understand your point of view as they develop this feature! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 66

I'm having issues with my recurring invoice.  My client's saved card is NOT getting auto charged and thus her monthly bills go unpaid for weeks.  How do I fix this?  I attempted to cancel the series and start a new thread but it occured again.  Is this an issue with my clients card?

Message 19 of 66

Hey @NUTREV, I would recommend reaching out to your customer to make sure that everything is okay with their account. I've only seen this happen once before and the root of the issue was the client lost their physical card and reporting it lost. So all of the recurring invoices would come back as failed. 

If this isn't the case please let me know. I would love to help get to the bottom of this. 

Message 20 of 66

Hi Chad!

I am new to Square Up and am starting to use recurring invoices next month.  I read through this thread and wanted to summarize the experience for both the seller and the customer.  I want to make sure I am crystal clear on what will happen.

• I set up a recurring monthly invoice which allows the customer to save their card on file.
  • Client receives the invoice on the "send on" date, enters their card information, elects to save it on file and pays their invoice.  
  • I am notified by Square that an invoice is paid.
  • At this point I have the option to edit the original recurring invoice and designate the "Card on File" as the payment method.
  • Going forward the card on file will automatically be charged on the due date of the recurring bill.  For example, if the send on date is 9/1/2017 and I have it "Due Upon Receipt" the card on file will automatically be charged on 9/1/2017.
  • If the invoice fails to be paid I will be notified Square.

Is all of that correct?

Thanks!

Danny

Message 21 of 66