x

Sales tax settings all states

I set the sales tax and titled it Sales Tax, but when i practice order as a customer it applies the sales tax for missouri orders only and no sales tax on other state orders. How do i fix that so all orders have sales tax applied regardless of state? I did use the 4.225% missouri rate. Help please and thank you JW1

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Square online only charges sales tax on shipments that are in your own state.  

Message 2 of 10

So how do you collect sales tax for other states or do you have to for tax purposes at all?

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller

First I'm not a tax lawyer but from what I've read here you only need to collect to people in your state.  

Most laws are if you have a presence in that state you must collect taxes for items shipped within the state.

Message 4 of 10

Is there anything special I need to do to set that up? I'm in NC and only need to charge customers who are ordering from me and live in NC. Or is this something Square automatically does for me when a customer enters his/her address in NC?

Emily T Johnson
Message 5 of 10
Admin

Hi @etjsinger! It sounds like you're using Square's Online Store. Tax is only applied to orders shipped within your state so if you've set up tax for items, you don't need to do anything else! Tax is (automatically) not applied to Online Store orders shipped out of state. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 10
Super Seller

Message 7 of 10

thank you

Message 8 of 10

Yes but what about collecting federal tax??

Message 9 of 10
Square

No sales tax will be applied to out-of-state orders, @Soleluna. Outside of confirming that, I can't offer any advice on collecting taxes, so it would be best to consult a tax advisor. You state's Treasury or Dept. of Revenue site should have some resources on the topic as well!

Message 10 of 10