x

Can I transfer my Square Account?

I set up the our Square to link to our Cub Scout Pack to use for fundraising sales and parents to pay dues.  My son has now grown out of Cub Scouts and going to Boy Scouts and I am moving with him as well and will no long serve as the Cub Master and manage the Pack.  Is there a way to transfer the account name/owner to the new Cub Master.  The Bank account will stay the same

Thanks in advance.

John

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 53
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in here. Because each Square account is tied to the account holder's SSN and the SSN isn't something that can updated on an account, we not currently able to transfer account ownership.

In cases where the original account holder is no longer associated with the business or organization, we recommend that a new Square account be created by the new business owner or the person who would administer the new account. When a new account is created, the same EIN and bank account can be used.

If you need a refresher on setting up a new account, check out this Support Center.

If you're the new owner of the business or organization and you'd like a CSV file (spreadsheet) of the account's transaction history, please let us know by reaching out directly. Just as an FYI,  to share this information with you, our Compliance Team will request documentation proving your relationship with the business or organization. 

​Thanks for your understanding and feel free to post any follow up question!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 53
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @amy5! This is a great question! Thanks for reaching out to us here for the first time on the Seller Community 👋 Happy to have you - even if it's for a (what is sounds like) a short time.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of Sellers who were also asking similar questions. I would recommend looking into this Help Center Article regarding the editing of account ownership - it should answer all of your questions and direct you to some next steps.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 31 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Believe it or not, a square rep once called me out of the blue just to see how we liked the service. Anyway, I asked this exact question and was told No. 

They recommended downloading all of the transaction data to Excel, closing the account, then opening up a new one under a new name.

Message 2 of 53

Hi,

we we have applied this system by one of my partner's SSN. But now she's not part of this business so do we need to update the number?

thanks,

Message 3 of 53
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in here. Because each Square account is tied to the account holder's SSN and the SSN isn't something that can updated on an account, we not currently able to transfer account ownership.

In cases where the original account holder is no longer associated with the business or organization, we recommend that a new Square account be created by the new business owner or the person who would administer the new account. When a new account is created, the same EIN and bank account can be used.

If you need a refresher on setting up a new account, check out this Support Center.

If you're the new owner of the business or organization and you'd like a CSV file (spreadsheet) of the account's transaction history, please let us know by reaching out directly. Just as an FYI,  to share this information with you, our Compliance Team will request documentation proving your relationship with the business or organization. 

​Thanks for your understanding and feel free to post any follow up question!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 53

Great info on this, but I am the account holder, set this up for the non-profit (my SSN, etc) but would like to use it for my own yard sale and business.  Can I change the account name from the non-profit to my name, and use the same square readers or do I need to start from scratch?

Message 5 of 53
Square

@sccpets - I'd suggest setting up a new account for personal usage, especially if this organization is still using the other account. You'll just need to use a different email address, otherwise you can use the same information for everything else. Also, feel free to use the same readers, they're not account specific. The Square Register app is the brains of the operation. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 53
Super Seller Alumni

That's interesting - so there would be no way to continue Loyalty & Gift Cards to the new owner/administrator?

Seems like a feature that could be very useful.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 53
Beta Member

So Square does that mean gift cards, etc. that were sold would no longer be valid under the new account once setup?  If so, this is HUGE flaw in your system and must be addressed.  I can't in good faith ask my buyers to start a new account knowing that there are outstanding gift cards out there that will no longer be valid.  This process needs work and seems quite amateurish.  Even Paypal (who I loathe) will allow a business transfer, hiding behind the SSN reason is just an excuse not a valid reason.  You could collect the data from the new owner as well and update your database just like Paypal does.  Perhaps it's time to take a bit of a lesson from the competition.

Message 8 of 53
Admin

Thanks for surfacing this, @awakenings. I'm happy to let you know that you can transfer Square Gift Cards between accounts in the event that business ownership changes. If you need to do so, our Support Team would need to assist with this process. To proceed, you'll need to contact them directly and they'll guide you through next steps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 53
Super Seller Alumni

What about loyalty and other things like that?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 10 of 53
Admin

Hey @pessosices, great question. I went to check on how Loyalty would behave in this scenario, but wasn't able to find conclusive information.🧐

I just reached out to a member of that team and we'll circle back as soon as we have clarity. Thanks for your patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 11 of 53
Admin

Appreciate your patience, @pessosices. Good news! Yes, you can transfer Loyalty over to a new account as well. 😄

For now, this would also have to be done manually on our end. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you're passing on your business to another owner and need to continue the current Loyalty program with the new account, let our Support Team know — they'll make sure everything gets worked out properly. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 12 of 53

It is insane that Square cannot update ownership of an account. It's 2020. How unprofessional as businesses rely on continuity as they transfer from owner to owner.

Honestly, this should be a major priority. Everyone I know with business partners or working with LLCs where ownership changes is dealing with this issue.

Message 13 of 53
Beta Member

this is a fake answer.  The fact that transactional data records a specific social security number is NOT an inherent justification for not being able to transfer the information.  There are a number of ways to accomplish this technologically and/or so that privacy concerns are met.   This is a HUGE weakness for businesses when they need to change owners over time (which is quite common).... whether because one owner leaves, passes away, or simply wishes to cease being the account owner.    

Some suggestions... make a datatype called "historical transactions" -- that allows a square account to import a 'set of transactions' into their square as an alternative to the 'actual transactions'... these might have LESS information in them then the actual transactional records (e.g., strip any sensitive information linked to the original owner, but contain the basic information... e.g, what was bought, income, tip, employee code who rang it in... timestamp)..  With basic information a small business that must change its square account could still easily compare their current sales to past sales (prior to the owner transfer).

I called customer support today and got an excusist explanation that 'credit card companies' are somehow to blame for 'forcing them to link the transactions to a social security'... that's just mumbo-jumbo... as there is no reason that any owner for the business cannot have access to those data (legally).  If a legal document was signed by the original owner, asking these data to be transferred to the new account... I see no reason why they cannot be transferred since legally, these transactions do not belong to the owner, bu tthe business entity that makes them.   In other words, the llc/corporation could legally sue to obtain them... and win.... but square has no means to allow them to be used conveniently in the app.

I was told by the customer service rep that 'they are working' on a solution.  I'd like to know where in the development stage this feature is.

Message 14 of 53
Alumni

Hi @verres - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Unfortunately, we're unable to share any product timelines or roadmaps here. However, we will announce any updates as we receive them within this thread.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 53
Beta Member

@puka thank you for taking the 30 seconds to give me a patsy lame non-committal answer - I notice on the other thread (on finding a way to void erroneous, training, mistaken cash transactions), this type of brush-off answer is being used for more than one important feature requests by square vendors...   I'd suggest you find a better means to fix both of these common problems -- while I love sq -- there are other POS systems working hard to create user-experiences on par with yours...    if your true advantage is 'user experience' -- you'd be wise to actually make headway on these important features before your competitors do.

Message 16 of 53

Square needs to make a way to change the owner of an account more easily!! To change the owner implies that the current owner will no longer be active. Having to go through the former owner is sometimes problematic. In our case, the person is simply not a member of the guild any longer & does not wish to be bothered. We had to reactivate the old account in order to get money from a transaction that slipped through, and to have access to our financial data, which no one told us would not be available when we switched accounts.

But last year, we had to kick out our treasurer and change all passwords. The treasurer was embezzling & inappropriately spending money. If he had been the owner of the account, we would have been in MASSIVE TROUBLE!

Message 17 of 53

Hi there, @PottersGuild - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Happy to have you join us!

Thanks for adding your voice in support of an easier process for account ownership editing. We have been in development of this feature for some time, and we hope to bring some positive updates on this front soon.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also inquired on a more streamlined process for editing account ownership. For more informaton, take a look at this Best Answer from Sean! It should help answer any outstanding questions.

Feel free to reach back out if anything comes up!

Joe
Message 18 of 53

My wife has taken over the business and obtained LLC changes. How do we change the information into her name?

Message 19 of 53

Hi there, @MacaronCafeOh1 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! Happy to have you!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding editing account ownership. Take a look at this Best Answer from Sean. He will provide some extra context here and offer a few workarounds.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 20 of 53

As a commercial business owner that purchased a business that utilizes Square, this whole issue actually makes us want to shop for a new POS. To download and transfer all reports, items, gift card history, etc. is quite a pain when our time is needed at our shop and with the business. This should be a fairly easy back-end fix with the right documentation and proof of new ownership. What you are inferring is for people to create a whole new Square system, under a different log-in, create a whole new email (since it won't acknowledge the one that has already been used), and download and upload data without any support. That does not sound like Square is wanting to be competitive in the business world. Businesses sell and change hands all of the time. That is a great window of opportunity for another system to do better and/or for a business owner to do some research and change companies. I wish I knew this before we took it over and now we have a mess to contend with. 

Sincerely, 

Small Business Owner

Message 21 of 53