x

How do I ring up a customer using a sku without a scanner?

How do I ring up a customer using a sku without a scanner?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 13
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I ring up a customer using a sku without a scanner?

Currently, SKU's are only able to be input by a scanner. While I can definitely see the value in allowing manual entry, it's not a feature right now. 

Having said that, we're constantly making improvements on our products based on customer feedback. 

Appreciate the post everyone! 👍

12 REPLIES 12

I am interested in this question as well. I don't have a scanner. I'm switching from a basic cash register in which we entered everything by sku. I'd like to do the same in Square, so managers don't have to search thousands of items to find the right one.

Message 2 of 13

I also am interested in this! Searching by SKU would be very useful and I am surprised it's not already in the app. 

Message 3 of 13
Square

Currently, SKU's are only able to be input by a scanner. While I can definitely see the value in allowing manual entry, it's not a feature right now. 

Having said that, we're constantly making improvements on our products based on customer feedback. 

Appreciate the post everyone! 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 13

To be able to do an order using SKU's would be AWESOME!!!!  That is acutally the easiest way for me to look up and item and see if I have it without having to go to a different website to look it up!

Message 5 of 13

This seems so logical. How could this not exist already?!?!?

Message 6 of 13

That would be great!! It would make selling even easier! 

Message 7 of 13
Square

@tdbufkin @msacco6 @MecanicaAntique - Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm really hoping we're able to deliver on this feature as well! For more details on how the feature request process works, check out this post. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 8 of 13

I agree. Being able to search items by sku seems so logical, I can't believe that I can't actually use this feature! I have been entering my inventory using my laptop because it's easier for me to do data entry that way. Now I find out that when I use the app on my android tablet, I can't search for items by sku and I have to figure out a work around and re-enter half of my inventory?!!! I am seriously disappointed. Can someone please explain to me why it works to search by sku when I am signed into the website but doesn't work to search by sku when I am in the app? I am a little techno-challenged but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Am I missing something?

Message 9 of 13

Is it still the case that a scanner is required for this?

Message 10 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@Smiling_Coyote This is still the case yes.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for. ☹️ Requests are still being tracked and you can see how feature requests work in Sean's link above.

If this ever does change- we'll be sure to update the thread! So I'm glad you are in here now. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 13

I have kind of figured out a round about way to look up by a SKU.  I put the SKU # in Parentheses after the description.  For an example, one item I would enter is 1/2' Bittie Bloom Gold Pendant (PD1163).  The PD1163 is my SKU number.  I hope this will help the rest of you out too 🙂

Message 12 of 13

would love if Square would add SKU as a search criteria when completing a transaction. Would make small business owners without scanners have an efficient and effective way to checkout customers. With enough people in this thread requesting, I'm shocked that Square hasn't actively created this in their programming. 

Message 13 of 13