x

Feature Request: Allow customers to look up their Square Gift Card Balance

Beta Member

Feature Request: Allow customers to look up their Square Gift Card Balance

I am wondering if there is any way for our customers to lookup their gift card balance other than contacting the merchant directly?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is there a way for the customer to search the balance of their gift card other than contacting me?

1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Allow customers to look up their Square Gift Card Balance

Hello Sellers — I have some good news to share on this request. Your customers can now check their gift card balance as well as reload their existing gift cards themselves.🎉 Learn more in this product update: New: Reload gift cards online.

Hopefully, this update resolves the need for your customer to contact your business directly. If you have any questions or feedback, let us know by clicking the "Tell us what you think!" button at the bottom of the announcement post.

34 Comments
Square

Great question, currently only the seller who sold the gift card can check the balance. As all Square gift cards are specific to the seller who activated the cards, your customers do have to contact you directly to check their balance. 

Beta Member

Good to know...but would be a great addition to have that option enabled. However,  if that were enabled there would have to be a way to give the cards a PIN each time it is given to a new owner (if it is recycled) otherwise a previous owner could input the gift card number and use the current owners balance couldnt they? Hmmmm...or am I missing some safe guard? I would love to trust everyone, but my business profits/loss needs to be thought of first.  😉

Square

@CBLeatrice - Agreed. It would definitely be a great feature, as well as the addition of adding PINs to cards. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Product Liaison Team! 

Beta Member

It would be nice if some time there were a way when they visit the merchants online store that they purchased the gift card from that they could click a "check gift card balance here" button. I mean if someone purchased a card from me, shouldnt they be able to look up their balance on my website since the card is linked to me? BUT the one thing I would suggest is allowing the customer to initiate a Pin number to secure their card since these gift cards can be recycled. This way past owners cannot enter the number and shop on someone elses dollar....but the merchant would still have complete control over the card when they return it so it can be cleared and the new owner can apply a new pin. Can you understand where I am going and why?

Square

Definitely! Don't have a timeline on when we will offer those features, but thanks again for the feedback. 

Sorry to bump an old post, but any updates on this? A basic API or widget that would allow customers to check their gift card balance through our website, or something along those lines, mayhaps?

Square Community Moderator

Hi @cruiser627

Nothing new on this as of right now unfortunately. It's definitely a useful feature, especially during the holidays, so I'll be sure to let our Gift Card team know it's something you'd like to see implemented in the future. 

To quote the first time this question was asked... "08-14-2016"

2018 coming up maybe we can get your developers to asnswer this question. "Is it possible and do they forsee it in the future and if so when?"

my 2 cents.

Dontdrive.ca

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Dontdrive01

Thanks for posting 👍🏼

We don't have a timeline or any updates into the possibility of this becoming available. 

I know it's not the reply you're looking for, but If something changes we'll post an update for everyone as we know how important this is to both sellers and your buyers. 

I have one of your gift cards, not a clue where I got it from or the balance, how can I find that out?