x
Beta Member

Signature and tipping options on different tablets

So I am using two different tablets at my restaurant and bar. One is a quick service set-up and I would like the customer to sign and tip directly on the tablet.

On the second station I would like the system to print off a receipt and signature receipt which will then be taken to the customer at their table and then subsequently closed by the server with a tip amount.

The issue I am having is that when I change the settings on one station, it then changes the other station to do the same thing, which is not what I want.

Is there a way to make each station settings be unique

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller Alumni

Because both are under the same "location" most changes you do on one will reflect on the other.  The only way to prevent this is to set one of them up under a seperate "location".  This however is like creating two stores and can cause other issues with reports, access and higher fees if you use add on services.

Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

I have yet to get a solution from Square.  Although they did tell me that I should be able to have different set-ups under the same location,  That being said, I still havent been able to do so.

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

Hey there @dwagaman - welcome to the 👥 community!

You can definitely set up multiple locations for your business (even though it sounds like you are operating in one location). This would allow you to manipulate the Point of Sale settings independently of each other. @RHatch makes a good point, though. Doing this may make aspects of your business more complicated. 

You'll have to choose which is best for your business (printed receipts or digital receipts) -or- splitting your business between two accounts. Let us know if you have more questions or find other ways to work this out. 

Message 4 of 12

Why is this not an option to have the "signature and receipt" settings independent based upon the device being used? You can customize the Square devices so many ways, yet this one setting must be synched the same across all devices in the same location. We have the same scenario as described above where one device requires the paper receipts and the other massively benefits from on-screen signatures. We now have to print paper at both registers and it is such a hassle. All funds are going to the same account, so what's the big deal? Creating a second Square location is not a viable option nor should Square expect customers to do this for something that seems like just another customizable item on your POS device. Hopefully, this is on the product roadmap to be offered soon...

Message 5 of 12
Admin

Thanks for following up on this @Wine_Master! I don't have details on when this feature might be available but I'll share your post with the Receipts team. I do see how it would be really useful to be able to have different receipt settings on different devices. 

As you can see we've shared the workaround to create separate locations but you could also disconnect your printer from one device, or have one device that is never connected to a printer. If there's no printer connected to a device the Point of Sale app will default to 'Sign on Device' meaning your customer will be prompted to sign the end of each sale. 

I'll post any updates on this feature in this thread!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 12

We are having a somewhat similar issue, but all of our registers are using the same hardware.  We want all tip presentations to be on the receipts, not on the screen at checkout.  We have it set to print on the receipt.  The issue is that sometimes it prints on the receipt, and sometimes it asks for the tip amount on the screen when the payment is taken.  This of course doesn't work well at a restaurant where the customer is across the room at a table waiting on their bill.

Is there something that triggers or determines when the tip info prints on the receipt vs. when it pops up on the screen?

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Best, David.

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Hi again @welldressedfood 🙂

Whether you're using printed receipts or digital receipts, the settings should be the same across your devices if they're all signed into the same location. Is it doing this randomly for all of your devices or just specific ones?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 12

It is random - we've tried to figure out what may trigger one or the other but haven't been able to.  This all happens on one iPad (really the only one we are using in the shop right now.)   I can have two folks eating dinner at the same table, paying separately.  I run the first persons charge card and get a printed receipt with the tip info at the bottom (which I can present to the customer, identify the tip and get a signature).  When I process the second persons card (different ticket) I get the screen asking if I want to add a tip, and the receipt does not include the tip info.  We process the cards the same way in each instance.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Best, David.

Message 9 of 12
Alumni

@welldressedfood, Puka is out today so I'll chime in here. It sounds like you may be experiencing a bug - in order to better troubleshoot, I'll go ahead and escalate your case to our support team. Thanks for your patience - you should get an email back from them to talk through this one-on-one. 

Message 10 of 12

Hi Kpay - I actually worked with Square support and they helped me get it figured out - thanks for your follow up!!!

Best, David.

Message 11 of 12
Alumni

Oh good to hear, thanks @welldressedfood! What did the issue end up being? If you remember how it got fixed, feel free to post here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.  😇

Message 12 of 12